TPMS Issue SOLVED!!!

Anything related to the Kizashi can go here, but please look at the other headings first. Your topic may fit better under something else.
ProMarinero

I know there are multiple threads in the tech forum for this but I figured putting it here would get more coverage. This is a problematic issue for a lot of people.

Well, after 4 trips to Discount Tire and 3 phone calls to Bartec USA my Kizashi now has two sets of wheels reading TPMS on both successfully!

The non-OEM sensors are Schrader EZ-Sensor Bridgeport 33000 units. They will be cloned to the OEM sensors so both the OEM wheels and the alternate wheels will need to be present. You can use any tire store but they MUST be using the Bartec 400SD TPMS tool to make this work. It may work with different tools but I can't guarantee it.

The issue is the re-learn process. Both the information that Bartec and Discount had was incorrect. I just happened to stumble on it when I noticed the TPMS light flashing a little differently after I tried playing with it. We ran it through with the different flash and it worked! After the successful re-learn I wrote some instructions up for the guys at Discount for future customers. Here are the details:

2012 Suzuki Kizashi SLS TPMS Learn Sequence
For Schrader EZ Sensor – Bridgeport 33000
NOTE: Multiple attempts to put the car into learn mode may be required. Turn the ignition OFF after each unsuccessful attempt.
1) Inflate tires to pressure on door frame placard
2) Turn ignition ON
3) Press driver’s door frame switch for interior light for 4 seconds and release
4) Press switch again for 4 seconds and release
5) Press switch again for 7 seconds and release
6) If successful the TPMS symbol next to the speedometer needle will begin blinking in a series of two quick flashes. The yellow exclamation point (!) light will go out if the "Service TPMS" message was previously displayed.
7) Quickly scan the LF, RF, RR, LR wheels in that order.
8) After last scan the TPMS symbol will stay on until the car is started.

We did this and I got a "Low Tire Pressure" warning meaning it was reading. I inflated the tires, drove it a little and everything was cool. Score! Discount charged me $60 a sensor for this but I brought in Hankooks on MB wheels which were purchased from them previously (I bought used but Discount sells MB exclusively). You may be able to go cheaper by buying online and having a shop install them.

Hope this helps those of you fighting that obnoxious yellow light!!
vapor2

thanks a lot ProMarinero. This will help me a lot. Thanks again :)
ipaqxman

Sorry but there is a light switch on the driver door frame?
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
Ronzuki

I'm a little confused here (no surprise)....are you saying you now have both sets of wheels/TPMSs linked w/ the car to work without the need for the Bartec programmer again for future rotation of the sets of wheels? Meaning you can perform this door-switch procedure manually yourself when swapping between winter and summer rims/TPMSs? Step 7) i suppose is where the confusion for me is...could you please elaborate? Thanks.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
ProMarinero

ipaqxman wrote:Sorry but there is a light switch on the driver door frame?
Yes. It's a little rubber-covered button
Ronzuki wrote:I'm a little confused here (no surprise)....are you saying you now have both sets of wheels/TPMSs linked w/ the car to work without the need for the Bartec programmer again for future rotation of the sets of wheels? Meaning you can perform this door-switch procedure manually yourself when swapping between winter and summer rims/TPMSs? Step 7) i suppose is where the confusion for me is...could you please elaborate? Thanks.
Essentially, yes. I guess I was unclear on that one. There is no door-switch procedure necessary either each time you change.

For most people the re-learn part won't be necessary if you're just going down and getting TPMS sensors put in. The EZ sensors are blank to start with. The OEM sensor IDs are read and copied onto the EZ sensors using the 400SD tool. Once that's done the EZ sensors are plugged into the alternate wheels and you're done. Each time you change wheels the car sees the same IDs for both sets so no issues are read. The only caveat I would say is to keep the wheels not on the vehicle away from the car when the ignition is on or it might read the same number twice. This may cause it to go into "Service TPMS" mode. This means don't carry the tires home in the car after you get this done. :D

The problem is when you get a "Service TPMS" message. To fix it the car has to be put into re-learn and the sensor IDs fed back in. Getting the car into re-learn mode is much trickier than other cars out there.

The one sticky part may be tire position on the car when rotating wheels to different spots. I'm not sure if the TPMS is tied to wheel position. I know the "low pressure" message isn't tied to any particular tire when it comes up, so I'm hoping tire rotation won't cause another issue. I'll see in the spring because I'm through messing with it for awhile.

Does that help?
Ronzuki

Yes it does, thank you. Very cool (and how it should be!).
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
11zukizashi

Has anyone else gotten this to work?
ProMarinero

Just FYI - This spring I took the snow wheels off and put on the summer wheels myself. No re-learn process was needed. The trick is to make sure the car is off before bringing out the wheels you want to put on, stays off through the process and isn't turned on until the old wheels are away from the car. It doesn't take much - like 5-10 feet. If you drive somewhere with them in the car you'll have to do the re-learn again as the car is reading too many TMPS units at once.
frances.bradford

What does SCAN in #7 involve, "Quickly scan the LF, RF, RR, LR wheels in that order"?? I'm trying hard to fix this myself.
DesRado

Left front, right front, right rear, left rear
2012 Platinum Silver Kizashi GTS, 6SP