Stock stereo subwoofer adition help.

The Do It Yourself section is used provide assistance with mods and fixes. Whenever you are making a change to your car please take pictures and notes. Let others know what to watch out for and any useful tricks you learn. If you are starting a post in this section from scratch please hold it to a higher standard than you would for other forum posts. i.e. technical detail and even grammar.
Please post about issues or problems in the Technical Support & Problem Troubleshooting forum.
murcod

Some info I just discovered today - for the 7 speaker non RF headunit (which as a side note is made by Panasonic) there are five "twisted pair" wires for speakers on the factory loom. It threw me at first, but then I checked in the boot below the parcel shelf and the wire colours match (green/yellow and grey)- so it appears they are prewired for a boot subwoofer. There would also be enough space under the dash to mount a small mono amp...... So, who is going to be the first to give it a try? (It's just a pity they also saw fit to spot weld a metal plate over the sub hole in the parcel shelf?!)
David
kizashijayy

Where would be the best place to wire a subwoofer from the trunk into the radio system? I heard it was pretty tricky and was looking for tips from anyone who has done it before. Thanks!
murcod

murcod wrote:Some info I just discovered today - for the 7 speaker non RF headunit (which as a side note is made by Panasonic) there are five "twisted pair" wires for speakers on the factory loom. It threw me at first, but then I checked in the boot below the parcel shelf and the wire colours match (green/yellow and grey)- so it appears they are prewired for a boot subwoofer. There would also be enough space under the dash to mount a small mono amp...... So, who is going to be the first to give it a try? (It's just a pity they also saw fit to spot weld a metal plate over the sub hole in the parcel shelf?!)
What I posted above would be the easiest option. Get a small mono amplifier that has speaker level inputs, wire that up and hide it under (or in) the dash. Use the green/yellow and grey wires that run down to the boot parcel shelf to drive the sub.
David
Wonson92

This should be my next project, working on some other stuff for the kizashi this weekend so in a fortnight on my next weekend off I should have time to go shopping I hope.
2011 Premium Silver XL

Learn. Do. Break. Fix. Explore. Save. Repeat
Kiz224

Does anyone think that an enclosure would help the RF woofer? It seems the trunk itself is currently acting as an enclosure.
murcod

You could probably find the part number of it and see if RF have any enclosure size recommendations?

(Do a search on "free air" and "infinite baffle" sub woofer set ups- it's how the Kizashi is configured.)
David
IshaanIan

Here in India the Kizashi comes in only one trim. While it gets most of the good stuff, it lacks the RF stereo :| anyway, I decided to overhaul the sound keeping the stock HU. Getting some mid to high end Focal or Rainbow components up front, Rainbows in the rear doors, still searching for a decent 2" speaker for the dash; suggestions would be appreciated :) The speakers will be managed by an Infinity Kappa 5 amp
Now for the sub: I have a very showy thumping system in my Mitsubishi but at the end of the day I like clean, more detailed and wide sound and in any case the speaker upgrade should give me some better bass. Still, for that little bit extra, I do need a sub. Not gonna go for the fancy dual vented 12" subs or anything like that, Nor do I want those under the seat things since they are simply annoying. I want to get something that fits in the factory setup. 8" sub right? Now I see the wiring, but as some other members have said, they have welded over the hole. Is it recommended to get it cut out? How do I go about fitting a sub where it is meant to be in the Kiz? I need all the info I can get since I seem to be the first guy willing to do this and I REALLY don't want to mess it up. Already got a JBL monoblock to drive the sub.
murcod

I'm interested to see how it turns out. The amplifier should address what I think is the biggest downfall with the head unit- no power.
I think I' ve seen special drill bits for doing spot welded joins on vehicles, but I can't think of any way to remove that welded cover without making a mess of the surrounding metal.
David
WIKizashi

I'd like to try and add a sub to my non-RF system as well. Maybe someone with the RF system could post a pic to use as a guide.
murcod

David