RPM Spiking

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
gentle_ben

Ronzuki wrote:I'm beginning to suspect that the trans/TCM package is the reason that many people are not seeing good fuel economy. Why is it some, like myself, are getting 28-29mpg while driving like grandma and others are getting much, much lower? My guess is that Ben didn't really change his driving habits since the new trans & TCM were installed. How would we know that the rpms are running slightly higher at certain speeds from one vehicle to the next? Could decreasing fuel economy (w/o changing driving habits) be a signal of a future failure w/ the trans/TCM pkg.? hmmmm....
You could be right, however we've noticed that I get better fuel mileage with it than my wife who drives it like a Grandma. I don't bag drive it by any means, but I usually accelerate from stop lights and the like strongly, and I usually speed on the highway by about 10 km/h over the limit. I'm usually hovering around 2000 rpm on the highway.
klement

gentle_ben wrote:
Ronzuki wrote:I'm beginning to suspect that the trans/TCM package is the reason that many people are not seeing good fuel economy. Why is it some, like myself, are getting 28-29mpg while driving like grandma and others are getting much, much lower? My guess is that Ben didn't really change his driving habits since the new trans & TCM were installed. How would we know that the rpms are running slightly higher at certain speeds from one vehicle to the next? Could decreasing fuel economy (w/o changing driving habits) be a signal of a future failure w/ the trans/TCM pkg.? hmmmm....
You could be right, however we've noticed that I get better fuel mileage with it than my wife who drives it like a Grandma. I don't bag drive it by any means, but I usually accelerate from stop lights and the like strongly, and I usually speed on the highway by about 10 km/h over the limit. I'm usually hovering around 2000 rpm on the highway.
What is the speed limit in the country you drive in? From 2000rpm I'd say you're driving at around 100km/h. Is that correct?
gentle_ben

klement wrote:
gentle_ben wrote:
What is the speed limit in the country you drive in? From 2000rpm I'd say you're driving at around 100km/h. Is that correct?
I'm in Canada, and yes the speed limit is 100 km/h on the highway. I usually drive about 110 km/h which puts me a touch over 2000 rpm.
WESHOOT2

At 2,000 RPM my '11 AWD S says it's traveling at 66MPH; at 3,000 RPM it say "105MPH".

My last tank returned 27 MPG (341.1 miles, 12.561 gal). Premium Gulf, Shell, and Mobil....
gentle_ben

So today our third transmission in this car started doing the exact same things as the first two, only even more violently.

As soon as the transmission is warm enough (about 20 minutes of driving or less depending on the outside temperature), the RPM's start spiking all on their own, sometimes jumping up 500rpm to 1000rpm. It physically jars the car, and the gas mileage goes into the toilet.

I am so fed up with this car. So far we have had the stereo replaced, the subwoofer replaced, 2 brand new transmissions (and soon to be a third), a transmission control module, and a steering wheel (the leather cracked all the way around from the cold weather, the one they've replaced it with has done the same thing now too).

I am at my wits end, I called the dealership (Haber Suzuki in Winnipeg) and all they offered us was a free vehicle detail for our troubles. The vehicle detail was so poorly done that I had to do it again myself just to clean up the mess the guy made.

This car is in no way abused. My wife drives it 90% of the time, and she babies it. I think my first call tomorrow will be do the the dealership, then Suzuki customer service, and see where I get with that.

The sum of all the parts they've replaced so far add up to more than what we paid for the car new, not even including labor!
yorkshireman

i'm beginning to feel the root cause may not be the transmission/TCM after all.. i don't have this issue with my kizzie, in fact i've had the throttle body cleaned and the ride with over 40000km mileage is smooth as silk.

perhaps Ben should have the dealer to check the drive sensors, throttle body, wiring, sometimes the insulation of these wires may have wear prematurely.. :|
gentle_ben

yorkshireman wrote:i'm beginning to feel the root cause may not be the transmission/TCM after all.. i don't have this issue with my kizzie, in fact i've had the throttle body cleaned and the ride with over 40000km mileage is smooth as silk.

perhaps Ben should have the dealer to check the drive sensors, throttle body, wiring, sometimes the insulation of these wires may have wear prematurely.. :|

Dealership has replaced all electronics dealing with the transmission. Changing the transmission does fix the issue, but only temporarily it seems.

After doing some digging, my car is not the only one having this issue. There have been 3 reported cases in Canada recently. Suzuki has told me this was an issue with the initial Kizashi's produced, but that they fixed it early on. It looks like a few transmissions made it out of the factory without being fixed.
gentle_ben

Suzuki has changed their mind and will not be replacing the transmission. Instead they are changing the oil pan on the transmission, as well as some other smaller parts. They believe its an overheating issue. Apparently the oil pan was updated in 2012 to fix this issue. Ironically enough our loaner car from Suzuki has a CVT transmission that works absolutely perfectly. Too bad its a Chrysler.
Ronzuki

Wow...interesting stuff. Hopefully this all works out for you. When you get your car back, would you mind posting the part numbers of everything they've replaced from your repair order? Hopefully you can get them to detail the list for you. This information will be very handy for future reference.

Thanks.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
gentle_ben

Ronzuki wrote:Wow...interesting stuff. Hopefully this all works out for you. When you get your car back, would you mind posting the part numbers of everything they've replaced from your repair order? Hopefully you can get them to detail the list for you. This information will be very handy for future reference.

Thanks.
I was not provided with this information from the dealer unfortunately.