2011 Kizashi - Kenwood / Garmin DNX6020 Update

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
LostCyborg

I have a 2011 Kizashi with the Kenwood Rockford Fosgate / Garmin unit.

I have not updated my maps ever, and am preparing to do so. If anyone knows a way to update the maps for free or get lifetime updates from Garmin for the $95.00 they charge per year I'd be all ears... otherwise I plan to purchase the current map update and update my unit, but that is neither here nor there as far as my problem / question goes.

I'm hoping to hear from others who have gone through this process successfully themselves.
My understanding of the process from Kenwood / Garmin is as follows:

1. Update your Kenwood Firmware (2011 Kizashi model is the DNX6020EX, and current firmware version is 1.4 available here: http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmwar ... c/eng.html).
2. Update your Garmin software (current version is 2.52 available here: https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... 3#Instruct).
3. Update the Garmin maps via the microSD card they send out after purchasing.

Everything above appears to be fairly straightforward and simple, with one exception. According to the instructions to update the Kenwood firmware in step one above (link to PDF instructions: http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/mm/firmwar ... rup_en.pdf) and following the steps to check your current firmware version... my unit currently says it is running firmware version 2.2.0.

I found this via google: http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2518

from which I'm deducing that Suzuki may have their own version of the firmware, and there may be a 2.4.0 or 2.5.0 available that is Suzuki specific. If I had to guess, the only difference between the Suzuki factory versions and the Kenwood versions is Suzuki logos, etc... embedded in the boot / startup screens and what not, but with firmware upgrades I don't want to just guess and brick the unit.

Has anyone else used the 1.4 version and gone through this process successfully? Or do I need to get a different firmware version that is Suzuki specific?

I called Kenwood support and they were less than helpful. The tech I spoke to didn't know what he was talking about. First he told me 1.4 is the correct one, then told me that if I'm a 2.2.0 then using 1.4 is downgrading and that won't work. Then he told me that 2.2.0 is the Garmin version and I need to update to 2.52. Needless to say I asked him to escalate so I could get a clear answer, and am now waiting for a call back to get clarification.

I've attached a photo of my software / firmware screen for reference in the case that I'm looking at the wrong info on the unit or something.

Surely someone else here has run into this problem and knows the answer. Thanks in advance for any info or tips to get this done successfully.
Attachments
IMG_20150106_103205.jpg
IMG_20150106_103205.jpg (211.13 KiB) Viewed 8199 times
SamirD

I'm wondering about this myself as well as we also have a 2011 with the Kenwood unit.

I was also planning to get the garmin update and just let it load the new maps as that's all I think it must be. But your research indicates it may be a bit more difficult.

Have you contacted Garmin about the procedure yet? I'm also very curious what is on that card as I'm sure there's a way to just copy it using some sort of hard drive imaging program.
LostCyborg

I can say this. I was able to update my Garmin software to 2.52. I followed the procedure here:

https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... 3#Instruct

My Kenwood seemed to process this no problem and although I haven't really used it since, it appears to be working fine so far.

This does not however update the maps. I do have a 2015 maps file that I found online. I'm playing with another Garmin I have and I think I have figured out how to copy the map file onto it, (my only issue at the moment is space on that Garmin, which you can copy to as if it's an USB device with a computer).

On the Kenwood through I'm pretty sure you have to get the map update loaded in from the microSD slot. I don't see any other way to get it there. I believe that's why you have to purchase from Garmin and then that must have some program on it that loads the updated maps into the unit, but not sure.

I haven't heard back from Kenwood support yet, but like I said mine seemed to take the Garmin 2.52 update no problem while running on Kenwood firmware version 2.2.0. If I have any issues I'll let you know.
SamirD

If I had a micro sd card reader, I'd probably be able to figure out where you need to put the map file. Can you post a directory listing of your current map sd card?

I somehow recall another thread on here of someone attempting to update the maps with a map file they found online too, but I can't remember where exactly...

After reading the firmware update instructions, I think the Kenwood/Garmin is smart enough to know when a new map file is loaded in the sd card slot. And as long as it meets all the garmin specs, I bet even a copy will work fine.

I'm going to see if I can find that old thread. I know there was some useful info in it that may help you.
LostCyborg

I put the map file I found online on the SD card in a folder called "garmin".

It sees it no problem. I used my GPS Thursday and Friday this week, driving for work and can confirm the updated map file I grabbed from online worked. There have been some infrastructure upgrades where I live now over the past few years, and seeing as my original maps was from 2010, I can confirm from my recent drives it sees the updates from the new maps and used them.

I still haven't updated my firmware, but as long as the GPS works I'm not really concerned about it too much. It'd be nice to do if I knew I could use the 1.4 version provided by the Kenwood site, but without knowing for sure I'll play it safe as long as the GPS is working.

My only complaint really is that Garmin doesn't provide an option to purchase lifetime updates for the in dash nav. If they did, I'd gladly pay for it. Paying $100 a year to update the maps, when you can buy a newer dash mounted Garmin for less with lifetime map updates seems ridiculous to me.
SamirD

Awesome!

Do you mind posting exactly what steps you did to update it along with the file? I know there's a lot of us that haven't upgraded the maps because of exactly what you pointed out about yearly updates.
MrCliveNYC

Thanks for posting. I was able to update both the Garmin portion and the Kenwood to 1.4 (It was originally 1.1) using the information you posted. My bluetooth is currently at 3.6 so looking to update that as well.
dvl100

How i should update? By the CD or I can do it by USB?
Suzuki Kizashi SLS 2011 AWD 2.4 K&N Air Filter, NGK Iridium, Brembo brakes