New rotors? What and where to get them?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
smsmart

SamirD wrote:Vibration will not be caused by the pads, only the rotors. It can also be caused by bad brake break-in. I did this on my first set of rotors on the big brake upgrade on the Galant.
So is the vibration due to the rotors heating up when braking hard as Speed_Racer suggests? And if so, would getting new/different rotors alleviate this problem? The vibration is not exactly reassuring when it starts up while going down a mountain, haha. :shock:
SamirD

smsmart wrote:
SamirD wrote:Vibration will not be caused by the pads, only the rotors. It can also be caused by bad brake break-in. I did this on my first set of rotors on the big brake upgrade on the Galant.
So is the vibration due to the rotors heating up when braking hard as Speed_Racer suggests? And if so, would getting new/different rotors alleviate this problem? The vibration is not exactly reassuring when it starts up while going down a mountain, haha. :shock:
Not necessarily heat, but non-uniform heat. A lot of times what will happen is the pad material will not even 'bed' into the rotor surface causing hot spots. Imagine what happens to those hot spots under hard braking--they heat up more and probably expand more than the surrounding rotor--temporary warpage and then vibration.

A new set of rotors can help, but only if bedded in properly. I've found that braking gently for about a 1000 miles does it, and it's also important to not 'sit' on a section of the rotor such as a red light. I usually leave a few inches room and move slightly every so often to give the pads a fresh bit of rotor to sit on.

You can turn the rotors too to get them smooth again, but then the thinner surface is more prone to permanent warping so I always just get new rotors and keep old ones as emergency spares.

I haven't warped a set of rotors since I started doing this, and I run Castrol SRF brake fluid in all my cars. My good buddy who was our local lead Porsche technician says I'm as hard on brakes as the Ferrari racers he knew at his last job at Ferrari! :shock:
Speed_Racer

Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm planning on replacing both the rotors and pads when my current pads wear out. That's what I've typically done in the past since I do my own brake work, and new rotors aren't that expensive.
'12 Kizashi,'03 SV650,'04 DL1000
SamirD

Speed_Racer wrote:Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm planning on replacing both the rotors and pads when my current pads wear out. That's what I've typically done in the past since I do my own brake work, and new rotors aren't that expensive.
Let us know what you get and how well it works. I'm not too far off from having to do the brake on ours. 8-)
Speed_Racer

SamirD wrote:
Speed_Racer wrote:Sorry, I should have clarified that I'm planning on replacing both the rotors and pads when my current pads wear out. That's what I've typically done in the past since I do my own brake work, and new rotors aren't that expensive.
Let us know what you get and how well it works. I'm not too far off from having to do the brake on ours. 8-)
Knock on wood it's still a ways out. But when it happens I'll fill everyone in.
Speed_Racer

Speed_Racer wrote:
SamirD wrote:
Knock on wood it's still a ways out. But when it happens I'll fill everyone in.
Update time:

I just replaced the rear rotors and pads this past weekend (at 43k miles). Here's what I went with:
Centric rotors
Akebono ProACT 537 pads

The job was quick, easy, and inexpensive (about $75 for parts) and the brakes are now back to being smooth & quiet again.
KuroNekko

Speed_Racer wrote:
Update time:

I just replaced the rear rotors and pads this past weekend (at 43k miles). Here's what I went with:
Centric rotors
Akebono ProACT 537 pads

The job was quick, easy, and inexpensive (about $75 for parts) and the brakes are now back to being smooth & quiet again.
Nice. I think the Akebono ProACTs are the aftermarket versions of the OE brake pads for the Kizashi.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
SamirD

From the pad description, it seems like they will be too soft for my use. :(