Oil Change Maintenance Light?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
hopkins802

Hi all,

New to this forum...I've been a 2013 Kizashi owner for 3 years now. It's a standard model, not sport or anything. Up until this point, I've been changing my oil ever 4,000 miles or so. I recently learned that most newer cars do not need a change this frequently, and owners should just wait until a maintenance light comes on. Does the Kizashi have an oil chance maintenance light? If not, how often are drivers changing their oil?

Thanks!
Dan
LPSISRL

Nope. No maintenance lights like a Honda. I change mine every 5K miles and use synthetic. However, the book says 7.5K miles.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Ronzuki

5k - 7.5k OCIs for me, M1EP and Suzuki OE filters.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

I use Bosch filters when I can as I believe that they have a better check-valve preventing drain back. At least that's what is seems like since cold starts are quieter with the Bosch than any other I've used although I have not used Suzuki's.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
Ronzuki

I should clarify...I use the 'Made in Japan' Suzuki OE filters and not the cheaper cost, inferior 'Made in China' Suzuki filters.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
hopkins802

LPSISRL wrote:Nope. No maintenance lights like a Honda. I change mine every 5K miles and use synthetic. However, the book says 7.5K miles.
Ah thank you! I'll stick to around 5-6K to be safe. Thanks!
KuroNekko

Welcome.

I use the TRIP B display as a mileage counter for my motor oil. It works nicely as it goes beyond 1000 miles in the counter. I also use a static cling oil change sticker on the windshield.

As for the oil change interval, I have been running the oil about 7500 miles between changes using Pennzoil Platinum and later Mobil 1. Full synthetic 5W-30 for both oils. For filters, I usually go with Mobil 1 but will also use other higher tier filters like Purolator ONE, Bosch Distance PLUS, etc.

Over the years, I've noticed that I burn more oil between changes with Mobil 1 than Pennzoil Platinum but went with it given where I buy my motor oil. I also recently moved and my commute to work is now literally under a mile. Given that I now do much more short distance driving, I will revise my OCI to every 6000 miles. This is around the mileage at which I notice oil burn-off with Mobil 1 and add more. None of this is scientific but just my observations over the years. I may sometime get a Used Oil Analysis done to see if my regiment is optimal.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

I use the B trip counter as well. Trip counter A is every fuel stop so I know if there's a sudden drop in economy signaling a possible issue. I don't have to add any between changes and it's usually down only about 4 oz at change time. Much better than my SX4 which required at least a quart between changes.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
NickL

When I read the Maintenance Book for my Kizashi, I have found that Suzuki recommends changing oil every 15k kilometers (9000 miles) for normal use, and if the car is driven hard or a lot of city ride, then every 6k miles. From 9000 miles I ride arround 7k miles on open roads and highway, and 2k city ride. I push the car to its limits very rarely when it comes to performance. Is it then OK to change oil every 9k miles or should I change it sooner?

I use mostly Motul 5w30.
"The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing". H. Ford
Woodie

I think that would be okay to go by the 9000 mile recommendation. You're using much better oil than is called for, be sure to use a better than the bottom line oil filter. Most filter brands have three tiers of quality, get the one in the middle. For example Purolator sells their regular filter designed for 5,000 miles for $5-6, the PureONE rated to 10,000 miles for $8, and the PurolatorBOSS rated to 15,000 miles for $10 or so. Get the midgrade filter and you should be fine. I change mine at 5,000 miles, but I do it myself so it's cheap, and I don't drive very much so that's usually a year.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency