Finally Solved!!!!! Steering lock error no start

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Woodie

The part costs about $250 and takes an hour or two to install, so I would think $500 is fair. Those prices are US $

Part is called Steering Lock and is part # 37100-57L12 https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... 3710057L12
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

I forget...is there any specific re-learn procedure, or pairing process requiring some black box we don't have, associated w/ changing this thing? Or is it just replace the old one, plug, and play?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
old tech

No relearn . So far there seems to be no do it yourself way to virginize a used steering lock unit. Only using a new one is plug and play. I suspect its the little motor inside thats giving the intermittent failure but I still havent gotten a failed unit to confirm this . I found the motor for less than $5 but the gear didnt come with it . The steering lock unit comes apart very easily after slicing the assembly pins with a cutoff wheel.
Ronzuki

great to know...again. Thanks ot.
Ron

documental

Vitra wrote:It only happen in winter time or cool temp. Never happen in Summer time
I've had the exact same experience. I wouldn't say "never" but it basically wasn't an issue from June through August (here in Toronto, Canada). But suddenly the fall temps came, dipping down to single digits celsius overnight and boom I am having the issue most days, at least once or twice.
Ronzuki

well that would indeed indicate a mechanical issue w/ the unit most likely as opposed to an electrical failure of some sort. Maybe go through the pains of removing the thing, opening it up, cleaning out the old grease if there is any, and lubing it back up with a low-temp grease??
Ron

old tech

The correct fix, no expense spared is to replace complete steering lock unit with new through Suzuki for $250 in parts approx. What we need as a club is a sure fire cheap fix for this problem. I suspect most of the time that it would be the little Chinese motor inside this unit but in this case lubrication does make sense and worth a shot. If you remove the steering lock unit from the column , remount it to the lower dash structure using existing fastener hole and threaded hole on unit making sure cord is plugged in and not stretched. This way you can tap it if it fails to work again. Nissan and Mercedes have had so much trouble that they both offer an emulator as a repair but not Suzuki. These can be found for less than $50 and maybe, just maybe they could be adapted to fix the Kizashi. Chances are slim but the id program has got to be the same as some other manufacturer you would think. Fixing your original unit with a harvested motor from a U pull it yard donor is a thought but going this distance, a new motor sounds better and is a possibility . They are on Ebay for $5 but dont have the gear on them and Im not sure if you can save them while taking it off.
black7

Sounds like this problem is common based on comments earlier in this thread - can anyone take a guess at how common?
I haven't had this problem yet on my 2011 but I'm in a very cold climate (Canada) and it sounds like it's basically a ticking time bomb in cold weather.
Hopefully there's a better solution than the $1K that this likely cost in this country - such a dumb issue
Ronzuki

black7 wrote: - such a dumb issue
Yeah, no kidding...how much more over-complicated and over-tech'd can we make the simplest of tasks? Get used to it, and the expense of paying for then repairing it all. These damn new vehicles are simply ballooning w/ tons more of the same useless stupidity. Maybe someone in Canada will try one of the $50 Nissan emulators on a Kiz that oldtech mentioned to save themselves $950. I'd say that would be worth a shot. What's another 50 bucks if you have to spend a grand?
Ron

Kizi

Thank you for your post, I just gave this a shot, hopefully it works for me too.