CVT shifting issues in cold weather

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
AXMARKUSXA

Hey guys I'm new to the group. I have a 2012 Kizashi SE, it has 100843 miles on it. Long story short, if it gets to freezing temperatures or below freezing and I first start my car up I let it warm up until the RPMs go below a thousand. After the car has started to warm up some I shift it into gear and it shifts so hard it shakes the car. I turn the car off and turn it back on again and it will shift just fine... if I do not stop the car and start it again, it will go 40 miles an hour at about 2500 rpm which I am assuming is second gear... it only does this when it's cold outside during the summer it runs just fine. It did this last year but this year it has gotten worse, now if I go 10 minutes down the road and kill it, once I started back up again no matter what I do after I drive it is the only time killing it will fix the problem. I've been told lots of things from lots of different people. I am afraid to change fluid and filter in transmission because I have had very bad experiences in the past with that. Start out with a minor transmission issue change the fluid and filter turns into no more transmission.. I've searched through all the forms everybody talks about warm weather affecting their car, mine is quite the opposite... any ideas guys? If it's above 45 degrees Fahrenheit I have zero problems, if it gets well below freezing I have nothing but problems.
KuroNekko

Welcome.
For starters, you should know that the Kizashi's automatic is a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). These actually don't have gears to shift.
As for the issue, I'd start with changing the fluid. At 100K, it's overdue. You did mention your hesitation on it based on prior experience but when done properly, it will only improve things at all temperature ranges.
Also, if you think that the vehicle's CVT performs better after restarting the car after an initial cold run, perhaps it needs a reflash or update to the Transmission Control Module. I'm not too versed on the details given I personally own a manual transmission but I really think new fluid would help.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bdleonard

I would certainly suggest changing the fluid and the cooler line filter at that mileage if it has never been done. There was a TCM reprogramming service campaign for some early 2012 Kizashis. Not specifically for the symptoms you described, but relating to low line pressure on some start conditions. It was Emissions Campaign SQ:
http://www.suzukiauto.com/~/media/Auto/ ... %20SQ.ashx

I would certainly contact Suzuki and determine if the TCM in your car needs reprogramming
AXMARKUSXA

The worst part about all of that is I just moved from the city that actually have a Suzuki dealership... I'm just outside of warranty as well. I'm not sure if I trust any old transmission shop to do this
WESHOOT2

Does anyone else notice when it's truly 'cold' their dashboard displays act weird?

Cold = condensation; perhaps an ELECTRICAL connection is intermittently reacting to temperature differentials, which is why it works fine when it's warm.

All very hypothetical (except my display acts wonky in the cold until the car is thoroughly warmed).

Transpose this to your CVT and its myriad electrical components and connections?
BLyons

WESHOOT2 wrote:Does anyone else notice when it's truly 'cold' their dashboard displays act weird?
I can't say I've experienced that at all. What does your display do? Has it done it on all 3 of yours?
Black 2011 Sport SLS AWD
Ronzuki

Depends how cold and for how long. Electrical capacitors have low temperature storage (non-energized state) and operational limits.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
AXMARKUSXA

it's doing it again... ran great all summer but then a cold front slid thru today at 42 degrees and my car doing its thang again. no issues with any electronics. i start the car and let it warm to operating temp, and when I shift to reverse or drive it almost leaps instantly. that's how I know it won't cruise at normal rpms. I'll kill the engine after its warmed up, then it will shift into reverse or drive like normal. gonna be taking it in this winter because it seems slightly worse than last year. having no money sucks too
old tech

Any way you can get the trans trouble codes read . jot them down , erase and drive again till you have more symptoms and recheck codes ? Does this thing still have the original fluid in it ? It sounds like its falling in to limp mode and the coeds may help me figure out whats going on . What region do you live in ?
bdleonard

AXMARKUSXA wrote:it's doing it again... ran great all summer but then a cold front slid thru today at 42 degrees and my car doing its thang again. no issues with any electronics. i start the car and let it warm to operating temp, and when I shift to reverse or drive it almost leaps instantly. that's how I know it won't cruise at normal rpms. I'll kill the engine after its warmed up, then it will shift into reverse or drive like normal. gonna be taking it in this winter because it seems slightly worse than last year. having no money sucks too
Did you call Suzuki to see if the SQ recall had been done to your vehicle? Check the CVT fluid condition and level? Check the battery voltage?