Rear shock clunking

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Greg R

I just recently replaced both rear shocks on my zuk. It's still making a clunking noise. Will the upper support cause this? It sounds as it coming from that area
OliverB

Things to look at:

Swaybar bushings (easy to change/30$)
Upper and lower rubber mounts for the coil springs (easy to change/10$ per mounts/the SX4 uses the exact same ones if you can find a salvage yard with one in their inventory)
Swaybar end links (easy to change/cheap)
Upper control arms (need to drop the subframe/100$+ for each side)
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
pix74

Greg R wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:11 am I just recently replaced both rear shocks on my zuk. It's still making a clunking noise. Will the upper support cause this? It sounds as it coming from that area
How did you solve your Issue ?
I have the same noise after replacing both rear shocks & both rear sway bar bushing, and I didn't found anything loose.
Please feedback if you solve your Issue
old tech

At the top mount of the rear shock is the cavity in the upper support that the shock bushing fits snugly into or is supposed to. The cavity corrodes and the bushing can wear and fatigue . You will have to confirm the this is the area that the noise is from by by touching shock while someone else is bouncing the car. This is where a 4 post lift comes in handy. I had one that I changed the bushing and it was fine and I had an other that I added a rubber oring to the top side of the bushing to get take up the space instead of ordering new expensive parts.
pix74

Thank you for your feedback,

So if I understand right, I should add a rubber oring on top of the bushing ? That means it will move back the rod a bit (the rod does this clunky sound with the chassis ?)
Did you notice any damages on the chassis made by the rod when you changed it ?

I tried tio reproduce this sound by bouncing the car but I'm unable to hear the sound (may be I didn't bounce the car enough)

old tech

The O-ring trick should only be used if the cavity in the support is corroded and basically missing some material. I’m really in favor of replacing the poor parts with new although these parts are getting hard to come by in some places and expensive. The actual shock mount that houses the shock bumper and dust cover needs to be in good shape and care needs to be taken while tightening .These sometimes break in use just from getting corroded so you can imagine one that’s been subjected to a few years could break during tightening if not careful. And yes,the o- ring would go where your arrow is pointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pix74

Thanks you very much for your advice, i will check if it is available by Suzuki France, unfortunately i'm struggling to get specific parts because they only sold 88 kizashi between 2011-2013 in France... 2 month ago, after 2 month of waiting i had to order the sway bar bushings by eBay US but i Can try in case these parts are common with other model. Really appreciate your advice, thanks again.
n8dogg

Just to share my experience in the US, I just ordered my rear shock top mounts off megazip.net from Japan...even with shipping it was slightly cheaper than the few I could find within the US. This is the first part I've had to source outside the US, everything else I've done so far I've had no problem sourcing.
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
pix74

It seems to be a common Issue these top mounts, it's hard to find it in France as well, I just place an order at megazip.net. thnak you for sharing this expereince n8dogg, and thank you old tech I definitely want this car in good condition. It's hard ton find such cars in Europe (4WD, fuel engine, no turbo), i'd like to keep it some more years.
Dfkizashi

I had clunking and had to replace both rear shock mounts. I got them from ThatGMPartsGuy.com. I paid $35 each including shipping (they broke at different times).