Stripped oil drain plug

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
LPSISRL

How do you ensure when tightened properly, the drain faces down and the lever up?
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

LPSISRL wrote:How do you ensure when tightened properly, the drain faces down and the lever up?
The drain hole for the F-106 will face the same direction as the hole in the oil pan. Therefore, it will always face the rear of the Kizashi. As for the lever, it wasn't hard to get it in the upward position. The washer provided with the valve is felt and allows for some variance in tightening. This way, I was able to position the valve so the lever was perfectly on top after tightening by using an adjustable wrench.

Given how well it fits on the Kizashi with no issues, I now somewhat regret not installing a Fumoto valve much earlier. I'll report back on how it drains and seals again once it comes time for an oil change but my prior experience with one on my Impreza was very good.

I should also note that there are different types of these valves. You can get some with a nipple so you can attach a hose. This allows you to easily direct the flow of oil. There are also some accessories like lever clips to better prevent accidental movement. However, I opted for the cheapest version which is the standard valve. Given the Kizashi is a low clearance vehicle with an engine undercover, I didn't feel the need for the options like a hose attachment or clip. After all, it's unlikely the valve will get directly hit by anything and the lever allows for controlling the rate of flow. This not only makes it easier to drain oil, but easier to keep splashes and spills in check.

http://www.fumotooildrainvalve.com/?tar ... lId=472111
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
LPSISRL

Thank you. I looked as some and they were angled.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

I recently changed the motor oil using the Fumoto valve. Given that I installed it at the last oil change, this oil change was the first time I used it on the Kizashi. The valve worked very well and was easy to open with the lever. The lever also controls the flow rate of the oil so you can really prevent splashing and spilling which is hard to do with just a bolt. The oil flowed out smoothly when fully open.

What's also nice is that you can easily close the valve to contain the oil for other steps like the oil filter removal. Given most oil collection pans aren't large enough to cover both the drain hole and the oil filter locations, it's nice to be able to quickly close off the oil drain temporarily to remove the filter. Once the filter comes off and the filter/housing is drained, I then open up the valve again and more oil comes out. The Fumoto valve just makes the process much faster and convenient with less risk of spills and creating a mess.
I only regret not getting one sooner, especially given how well it mounts on the Kizashi unlike my old Impreza.
KIMG0895.JPG
KIMG0895.JPG (100.8 KiB) Viewed 8112 times
bdleonard

I've got one of the F-106S valves with the short connector on the end for connecting a piece of rubber or vinyl tubing. Car goes up ramps, under body shield comes off, short length of tube goes on with opposite end in empty 5qt jug, open valve (wait). When its all done, pull of the tubing, cap the jug, minimal mess, and I can use my oil pan to do the filter while the car is draining.
KuroNekko

bdleonard wrote:I've got one of the F-106S valves with the short connector on the end for connecting a piece of rubber or vinyl tubing. Car goes up ramps, under body shield comes off, short length of tube goes on with opposite end in empty 5qt jug, open valve (wait). When its all done, pull of the tubing, cap the jug, minimal mess, and I can use my oil pan to do the filter while the car is draining.
Nice. I was thinking of getting that but I got the F-106 given it was cheaper (maybe on sale at the time?) and posed the lowest risk of clearance issues. I think there are 3 different types per model. I also typically don't have an empty oil jug until the fresh oil goes into the engine so I use an oil collection container. It's after the oil change is complete that I then pour the used oil from the container into the jug and then take it for recycling. I also occasionally get my Mobil 1 from Costco which sells them in a case of six separate quart-size bottles.
AirRideFan

KuroNekko wrote:Fumoto oil drain valves are rather good and make oil changes much less messy. They are also rather tough. I had one in my old Impreza and it took a direct hit from a rock while I was offroading. The valve did get damaged but the oil leak stemmed from the valve pushing up against the oil pan, fracturing it. The valve wasn't the thing leaking. I had to replace the oil pan and was going to do it myself until I noticed that the cross member was in the way of a removal. I then just let the dealership take care of it. After that, I got some beefy rally skid plates and didn't go back to using a Fumoto valve.

I think for cars like the Kizashi, the use of a valve is safer as the oil pan doesn't hang as low as the Impreza I had. Also, the Kizashi comes with a splash shield, protecting some parts from direct hits. That being said, a Fumoto valve is really just a convenience item and a standard drain plug stripping the pan isn't likely if you're careful not to over-tighten drain plugs and always use a washer. It's just hard to control for if others are doing the work. I also use synthetic motor oil and oil changes come about to only twice a year. In that regard, a Fumoto valve isn't as useful as a vehicle needing more frequent oil changes though it would make the process easier and cleaner. I may get one again just for the convenience of it.

KuroNekko, please tell me MORE about these skid plates ! Can you post some photo's of them? Did you make them or buy them ? Thanks so much...
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

ExtremeContact DWS Tuned tires on staggered Speedlines! :o
Ecsta V720 235/40's on the OEM 18's
Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45's on Sport Edition KV5 18's <- too heavy
WinterContact 215/55's on Lexus GS 16's this winter!
Ronzuki

Likely he's speaking of the stock plastic guards underneath.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

I had a 3/18 aluminum skid plate on my Impreza many years ago. It was made by Primitive Racing for rally usage. In fact, I sold it recently after years of it sitting around in my brother's garage.

As for the Kizashi, Ronzuki is correct in that I was referring to the plastic splash guards that come with the car. The only skid plates I ever found for the Kizashi were on a Russian website I came across years ago.
barra48

Thank you for the Fumoto plug information. How do I order one?