Cheap fix 06 emergency key

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
old tech

With the Kizashi it is possible for the car to lock itself if the remote battery gets low. If you happen to leave the key in the car, this can be disastrous. The car is very difficult to get into when this happens. I recommend having an extra emergency key made and then taping it to the body behind the license plate or wiring it inside of the lower grill maybe but somewhere where you could have access to it if this ever happens to you. This could avoid body damage done by trying to pry the door and picking at the lock . A key blank can be purchased from avcokey.com the part number that you need will be Suz20-NP. It’s list price is $.69 plus shipping . If you’re lucky you could still find one of these hanging in the hardware store key rack but I haven’t been very lucky at finding a store that still carries this. If your existing emergency key is broken anyway why not just replace the emergency key getting a blank on eBay for about five dollars and having that key cut and then taking your broken one and maybe welding a washer on the end of it or not and taping it somewhere to hide it. You will be glad you did.Image

An update: I now have the ability to cut the Suzuki emergency key from the actual key code . Your key code is easily obtained by removing driver door lock and simply reading stamped code. If you find yourself needing a key to fit your lock, I figure $10 would cover blank, cutting and shipping inside usImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by old tech on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamirD

I actually had this happen to me a few months back when my fob battery was low and fell out of my pocket. I ignored the door not locking from the outside and instead opened the door and locked it assuming that if the key was inside it would unlock again like it usually would. :facepalm:
Well, I have AAA and they were able to use a bladder on the passenger side to get enough of the door open to hit the unlock button and open it back up. I learned my lesson with the fob battery that day. :oops: Too bad the other one got stolen a long time ago back in MKE. :evil:
Woodie

It's also a good idea to exercise your key lock cylinder once a year by actually using the emergency key in it. It's possible to get to ten years old without ever having turned this mechanical device. When you do need it it's frozen solid and won't turn.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
SamirD

Woodie wrote:It's also a good idea to exercise your key lock cylinder once a year by actually using the emergency key in it. It's possible to get to ten years old without ever having turned this mechanical device. When you do need it it's frozen solid and won't turn.
Great tip Woodie! Especially with some of the salt and snow that our cars see. 8-)
WyoZuki

So ... I have been wondering about this. I live-in and visit remote places, and have always made it a practice to have a hidden/spare key. The Kizashi is a new vehicle (to me) and there does not seem to be a way to start it with a physical emergency key. I also can't keep the spare FOB in the car (because it won't lock: "key detected").

I am trying to cover the scenario where I lock the car and leave, then lose the key, and return to find that I can't unlock and start the car. So ... how do I do this? Thanks!
KlutzNinja

WyoZuki wrote:So ... I have been wondering about this. I live-in and visit remote places, and have always made it a practice to have a hidden/spare key. The Kizashi is a new vehicle (to me) and there does not seem to be a way to start it with a physical emergency key. I also can't keep the spare FOB in the car (because it won't lock: "key detected").

I am trying to cover the scenario where I lock the car and leave, then lose the key, and return to find that I can't unlock and start the car. So ... how do I do this? Thanks!
Keep the extra fob hidden in the car, but separate from its battery. Maybe keep the battery hidden somewhere else in the car. And have the extra physical key in the house or something. I think it’s Old Tech who recommends this method.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)