Cheap fix 07 rim repair

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
old tech

I was fixing up a 2013 SLS with 70k miles. It had a failed cvt transmission along with beat up rims and worn tires. While the tires were dismounted was the perfect time to inspect rim runout by chucking them up on the balancer, marking the low spots and straighten as needed. Image
The original rims are alot more resistant to bending than most of the aftermarkets but still do get damaged due to the low profile sidewalls,rim width and vehicle weight. I’ve found that bending them back cold is best. Image
A few hits and then retest repeat as needed. Earlier I had a pr of rims someone thought it best to heat with a torch before pounding on the rim and now the bend seemed set and I couldn’t straighten them. On these wheels that that I’m currently working with, three of them needed some straightening . Two of them came back perfect and the last one was acceptable. Now it’s time to erase as much of the curb rash as possible. I use a 3m disc on die grinder.Image
All four of these rims are badly ground up on the edge and some places have pretty deep wounds so they won’t be perfect but at least greatly improved . You’d think It was used as a drivers ed car for a school for the blind.Image
After sanding on this one I got it to where I was happy with the edge and the moved on to going over the whole front surface with steel wool to prepare surface for paint.Image
I use Rustoleum aluminum color.ImageImage
They came out very nice and look even better on the carImage
Last edited by old tech on Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n8dogg

Wheels looks great! And I love the SLS in red!
'12 Kizashi SLS AWD w/RF sound
easy to chip Vivid Red and 25% window tint
Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus II
Power Stop Rotors and Pads
183,xxx miles and still lovin it!
KuroNekko

Very nice job. I have some pretty bad curb rash now on all wheels but fixing is a pain if you aren't a professional with machinery to dismount and remount tires on wheels. My wheels were also custom painted by a shop that accidentally stripped the original paint off the wheels while power-washing or something.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
old tech

Yea, the original finish on this style oe rim didnt need any extra help in getting damaged, the sand blasting that they are taking just driving down the road wrecks the weak finish. That shop did you a favor with probably leaving wheel cleaner sit on them too long. The best coating for these rims would be a powder coating finish but too expensive and hard to match later if needed. This thread is about good and cheap repair and I think Rustoleum does it. All done for less than $10