Driveshaft?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
OliverB

Hi,

I'm in a pretty remote area for a couple more weeks and my car has been shaking violently whenever I'm driving between 40-50 kmh. It also occasionally does it while driving around 120 kmh. I finally had some free time last week so I got to replace the rotors/calipers/wheel hubs as part of my scheduled maintenance, but the vibrations persist. Swapping the wheels/tires with another set has proven to be inconclusive, so now I'm thinking this might be the driveshaft.

Has anyone had to replace their driveshaft? Is it possible to drive the car without the driveshaft installed or is fluid going to come out.

Thanks.
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
old tech

I haven’t seen any driveshaft failures yet although that doesn’t mean it can’t happen. There’s at least one u joint I think in this driveshaft back at the differential . That would be the one I would suspect you’re having trouble with. I know these are not supposed to be serviceable but they do make a trick one for the Sx4. I keep those in stock and have changed many of them. They might just be the same. I’ll check later today. Finding a good used driveshaft for Kizashi in Canada might be a bit of a problem since you got so few of them. In the states I have no problem finding a complete used driveshaft in fact I have three of them here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OliverB

As always, thanks for your input. I drive a lot due to my job and there's about 10 driveshafts I could pick up between $150-$200 (in Canadian Pesos). I would personally prefer to have my driveshaft rebuilt, but I absolutely need the car to be able to run at the moment. Hence why I was wondering if it was possible to temporarily unbolt the driveshaft, but I'm not sure if the driveshaft goes all the way into the transfer case. I obviously wouldn't want the t-case to start draining itself.
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi
SAEED_KIZZY

OliverB wrote:Hi,

I'm in a pretty remote area for a couple more weeks and my car has been shaking violently whenever I'm driving between 40-50 kmh. It also occasionally does it while driving around 120 kmh. I finally had some free time last week so I got to replace the rotors/calipers/wheel hubs as part of my scheduled maintenance, but the vibrations persist. Swapping the wheels/tires with another set has proven to be inconclusive, so now I'm thinking this might be the driveshaft.

Has anyone had to replace their driveshaft? Is it possible to drive the car without the driveshaft installed or is fluid going to come out.

Thanks.
check motor mounts they can cause engine vibration.
old tech

No gear oil to contend with on either end . Its flange on both ends. Youll need 6mm allen on transfer side. Typically the failed u joint is felt at a low speed and the vibration speed feels much faster due to shaft speed is 4 or 5 times faster than tire rotation. If you see any red rust powder near the ujoint caps than joint is for sure failing. Maybe free installation with gas tank recall.
old tech

With this type of awd system, you can remove the rear drive shaft and drive again to verify that your vibration is gone. It can be left out until you need the awd
OliverB

Finally came back home... for the weekend. Turns out the rear joint is beyond salvation. All the other joints appeared to be working well. The garage could have machined a new rear joint (250$), but they believed the shaft could be slightly warped due to how badly the joint was seized. I ordered one with 150,000 kilometers for 160$. The garage obviously won't cover the installation, but it's not like I have many options.
2007 SX4
2011 Kizashi