Fail to start

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Silverfox1111

G'day all
The daughter's car has the problem that seems common with the kizashi that is the car failing to start due to the steering column lock. How big a job is it to replace the module on the steering column & does anyone have a guide on the best way to do it?
Thanks
Silverfox
Woodie

https://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... ering+lock

That's a band-aid solution you can use for now, the replacement part is about $250 and about two hours to install.

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oem-part ... 3710057l12

It's on top of the steering column, you need to drop the column down below the dashboard to get to it. The bolts that hold the thing on are security bolts, the heads break off when it's installed, so you have to cut them off with a Dremel cut off wheel. Actually you just have to cut one, that will release the tension on both. New lock module comes with one new bolt.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

Also, If I'm not mistaking, after the unit is replaced, it must be configured/programmed/paired to the vehicle's permissive systems as well, correct Woodie? If this is in fact true, that is the more difficult part of the job to accomplish as I remember from past threads and discussions on the topic.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Woodie

No, a new part just plugs in and goes. If you get a used part that has been installed in another car, it is paired to the keyless entry computer on the other car, and must be reprogrammed.
Ronzuki

So plug-n-play, swap and go then...excellent!
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Silverfox1111

Thanks gents.
I've done that door switch bypass so it's not a hurry to get fixed. Also thanks for the info on changing the module.
Silverfox
old tech

A new electronic steering lock module would be the best repair however if you don’t want to spring for that now I would recommend at least removing the old one and relocating it to the bracket below the steering column. There’s enough cord for it to reach. This way you can kick it or tap on it. If I’m not mistaken the way you have it now is a good temporary fix but yet the computer may see this as never working and trigger again. Someone on the forum had this trouble if I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike P

Yep, got fucked over today for the first time since disabling my door sensor months ago, ffs, had to walk home, luckily not far (fr the poob), looks like I gotta grind the security bolts of the steering locks n remove it, some how and continue, hope it starts tomorrow, managed about 3 months without this since disabling door switch, ficken pissed, thought it was permanent fix, ffs!
Mike P

Woodie wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 pm https://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... ering+lock

That's a band-aid solution you can use for now, the replacement part is about $250 and about two hours to install.

https://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oem-part ... 3710057l12

It's on top of the steering column, you need to drop the column down below the dashboard to get to it. The bolts that hold the thing on are security bolts, the heads break off when it's installed, so you have to cut them off with a Dremel cut off wheel. Actually you just have to cut one, that will release the tension on both. New lock module comes with one new bolt.
Hi Woodie, my Kizi 2011 AWD CVT keyless entry push start, with door switch removed 4 months ago) is now stuck in a carpark, stuck in park with steering lock engaged (for 3 days now, despite trying to start it 6 times a day, so it looks kinda permanent. Showing "turn wheel" error warning, but this time not the immobiliser key symbol on display. Should have removed the steering lock by now, eh! Cant see it or find it, exactly where and how do you get at the tamper proof screws and how do you get em off. I have a dremmel at home, but theres no power in the carpark. Need help, kinda stuck. Looks like I gotta buy a cordless dremmel. Help pls.
Woodie

Reconnect the door switch, that way the car will try to cycle the lock. I had to drop the steering column, think it took three hours to do the whole job, maybe two.

37100-57L12 is the part #./ Price seems to have gone up, Megazip has it for $325.