Engine Bay Undercarriage Cover Screws

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
~tc~

I have heard using PB on header bolts is a disaster. If it doesn't work, and then you heat the bolts up, it practically welds them together.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
LPSISRL

Wow. I never thought that LW would work better than PB. For practically my whole life I've used LW. Then I had to borrow some PB from a friend. My impression was that it worked better. A lot better so I've been using PB ever since. I still have a couple of cans of LW. Maybe I should try it again? I also wonder if they would test the same using torque instead of pressing.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
SamirD

A lot of the penetrating fluids work in similar ways. I only got PB because Kryol (sp?) was not available anywhere. It did a really good job. You just have to be smart about using it, like anything else.

As far as welding together--I could only see that if PB had a high enough boiling/flash point that the metal would actually start to melt and fuse. Otherwise, it just might allow the metal to get a lot more comfy together (more surface friction) and not break free as easily.
AirRideFan

Bringing this post back from 2014, guys...because this is all such great info. I am deciding between coating all the metal surfaces under the Kizashi with my (used) motor oil--- or just spending $50 or so on a lubricant like Liquid Wrench and spending like 30-40 mins coating everything. I HATE the salt. I want the Kizashi to last another 100k !
2012 KIZASHI Sport SLS

ExtremeContact DWS Tuned tires on staggered Speedlines! :o
Ecsta V720 235/40's on the OEM 18's
Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45's on Sport Edition KV5 18's <- too heavy
WinterContact 215/55's on Lexus GS 16's this winter!
SamirD

The best stuff I have found for this type of treatment is fluidfilm--I would spray it on stuff that showed any sign of corrosion every 6 months when swapping over to the winter/summer tires. I saw nearly zero rust on the car while it spent most of its time in the midwest. As soon as it came back to the south after the last winter in the midwest, it actually rusted solid in a month and wouldn't even move. :( Since then I've had to spray almost everything to try to keep the rust at bay. :(
LPSISRL

The biggest question for me would be evaporation. How long does the stuff stay put before it evaporates and then loses any effectiveness? Seems like WD-40, PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench are penetrating oils and not designed to stay on surfaces a long time. (yeah, I know WD is water displacement but it's often used for stuck parts) Years ago my brother in law who lives in Canada would spray the underside of his car every fall with used motor oil. He'd then drive down a dirt road so the dust and dirt kicked up would cling to it and pretty much protect it the entire winter.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
Ronzuki

LPSISRL wrote: Years ago my brother in law who lives in Canada would spray the underside of his car every fall with used motor oil. He'd then drive down a dirt road so the dust and dirt kicked up would cling to it and pretty much protect it the entire winter.
How'd ya like to be the guy that has to work on that car? First order of business, pressure wash the underside of the car before any kind of service? That won't happen. The guys I'd mentioned earlier in the thread that would 'pre-treat' their rigs w/ WD40 would always wash off the mud and grime within a day or two after an outing...not leave in on there for months, or forever.

A word of caution...pretty sure it's not a great idea to be spraying used oil randomly underneath modern (electronics packed) cars and leaving it there for months on end. I don't know what spec general purpose automotive wire is, but you can be sure they're not wasting pennies per foot on oil resistant wire where it isn't needed. I can tell you oils (hydraulic, gear, whatever, (very likely used engine oil with diluted fuel in it) is corrosive to wire insulation, electrical connections, and electrical enclosure rubber sealing parts in my world. All of these items must be rated for resistance to oil exposure and oily mist. Non oil resistant wire and cable quickly turns soft and gummy when used in the wrong environments. The worst stuff I've ever encountered is the grease they spay into commercial bakery bread pans as the release agent (buttering the baking pan). That stuff used to cause all kinds of electrical grief back in my bakery automation days.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

This was an old Pontiac Bonneville. Probably like a ate 70s? So probably very little wiring going on there. Especially on the undercarriage.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
Ronzuki

;) Figured it was and oldie...my caution is for someone reading this here and heading out to the garage and spraying away on whatever it is they're driving today.
Ron

Ronzuki

Ronzuki wrote:;) Figured it was and oldie...my caution is directed at someone reading this here, and then heading out to the garage and spraying away on whatever it is they're driving today.
Ron