Replacing rear shocks

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
lwestlake91

So I have a 2010 Kizashi S, love the car, it's cool there's a whole forum dedicated to it. I'm glad there is, learning a lot on here, so I appreciate all of you and your posts, thank you.

I need to replace my rear shocks. One of them broke, by reading about how they made that rubber stopper I'm surprised it took so long to go. So my probelem is my shock mounts, are both basically gone, rotted away from all the snow and salt over the years. I have found them online, placed an order through that gm parts guy, and just read an email from them saying they are on back order for 5-6 weeks and I don't have that kind of time.

My question is, could I replace the shocks without the shock mounts? Mine now are basically nonexistent. They are hard to find, I could get them from this suzuki suburu world web site, but it'll end up at $100 for both, take a couple weeks at best, if they even actually have them. What would you guys suggest? If I can replace them without getting new shock mounts I will.
old tech

The top shock mount is very necessary and that it is in good shape. In the high salt use areas, these rot away from the inside out. To add to the problem, the two bolts fastening the top mount to the top support get locked right up with dissimilar metals corrosion and are hard to save when the two bolts snap off. The very best and cheapest way to get this mess is a pull-a-part yard . You will have to move the inner liner around to unbolt the 3 14mm bolts and buy all those expensive pieces for the price of a used shock. Usually about $10 a side. If this is not an option and you just need the top mount, try the dealer. If too long of a wait , you can have the top mount traced on to 1/8 or thicker steel plate to make your own. You will have to make an aftermarket boot and bumper work here though.
lwestlake91

Are there any other after market brands that will fit as a replacement to the original shock mounts?

I searched the u pull its and all, no kizashis at any of the yards right now. My best bet thus far is suzuki suburu world parts but thats at least two weeks minimum, if they even actually have it. My shocks from parts geek, and mounts from that gm parts guy, both places emailed me after the orders to say, sorry we are actually out of stock, we'll pay you back later this week. SMH Tough fix for the kizzy.
old tech

Highly unlikely you will find any production copies of this part but if you do,for sure let us know. Whats your zip code?
lwestlake91

My zip code is 26062
KuroNekko

old tech wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 am Highly unlikely you will find any production copies of this part but if you do,for sure let us know. Whats your zip code?
Really? The mounts looks quite similar in design to other comparable vehicles like the Mazda3's rear shock mounts. I think it's a matter of finding the right match, which is hard with just a Suzuki part # but I have doubts the rear mounts are bespoke to the Kizashi. Maybe they are, but finding KYB struts and shocks for the Kizashi isn't hard so it makes me think these parts aren't specific to the Kizashi. It might be worth the effort to contact KYB and inquire which other vehicles use the KYB Excel-G 349141 rear shocks other than the Kizashi. If there are others, then examine their rear shock mounts and aftermarket options for them.
This is essentially the route I took when I shattered my fog light on my Kizashi in 2017. I knew finding an OE Suzuki part would be hard and expensive so I determined the actual part manufacturer and the part # for the OEM. Turns out the Kizashi's fog light is exactly the same as a Toyota Yaris of the same model years. I then got a readily available and affordable Yaris fog light which was an exact match to the OE part on the Kizashi.
I hope there is a similar solution to the rear shock mounts because these are starting to become a problem with these cars.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

Thanks for sharing that about the fog light, Kuro. I’ve heard from an automotive journalist that cars rely more heavily on components from third-party manufacturers than most people realize. For example, only a handful of wood companies supply wood for car interiors across most of the major car companies. Who knows how much that is the case for all of the Kizashi’s components? I’m curious as to how much the Kizashi actually shares with other cars... The unlock/lock beep is the same as a Lexus/Toyota/Subaru, if I’m not mistaken. It’s a little weird to think that someone who hears me lock my car figures I have a Toyota, which would offend me haha.
I suppose another example would be the key fob the Kizashi uses, which is supplied by the same company Nissan relies on (and Infiniti :lol:).
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)
old tech

KuroNekko wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:39 pm
old tech wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:00 am Highly unlikely you will find any production copies of this part but if you do,for sure let us know. Whats your zip code?
Really? The mounts looks quite similar in design to other comparable vehicles like the Mazda3's rear shock mounts. I think it's a matter of finding the right match, which is hard with just a Suzuki part # but I have doubts the rear mounts are bespoke to the Kizashi. Maybe they are, but finding KYB struts and shocks for the Kizashi isn't hard so it makes me think these parts aren't specific to the Kizashi. It might be worth the effort to contact KYB and inquire which other vehicles use the KYB Excel-G 349141 rear shocks other than the Kizashi. If there are others, then examine their rear shock mounts and aftermarket options for them.
This is essentially the route I took when I shattered my fog light on my Kizashi in 2017. I knew finding an OE Suzuki part would be hard and expensive so I determined the actual part manufacturer and the part # for the OEM. Turns out the Kizashi's fog light is exactly the same as a Toyota Yaris of the same model years. I then got a readily available and affordable Yaris fog light which was an exact match to the OE part on the Kizashi.
I hope there is a similar solution to the rear shock mounts because these are starting to become a problem with these cars.
You have a good eye. these look very similar but are different. The mount bushing is in this mount while Suzuki's is above the mount. It's funny , Mazda is having a breakage issue with theirs as well. Mazda includes this aluminum mount with the shock but aftermarket does not . Dorman stepped up and redesigned the part using steel. Maybe Dorman would be interested in redesigning the Kizashi as well. I'll try to contact them. Also, I think I'll order one of the these for the Mazda 3 and try to adapt it to the Kizashi. The shock should be shortened by an inch I'm guessing , but it may work anyway. Maybe Mazda shock and mount in conjunction who knows, I'll keep you all posted.
KuroNekko

old tech wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:24 pm You have a good eye. these look very similar but are different. The mount bushing is in this mount while Suzuki's is above the mount. It's funny , Mazda is having a breakage issue with theirs as well. Mazda includes this aluminum mount with the shock but aftermarket does not . Dorman stepped up and redesigned the part using steel. Maybe Dorman would be interested in redesigning the Kizashi as well. I'll try to contact them. Also, I think I'll order one of the these for the Mazda 3 and try to adapt it to the Kizashi. The shock should be shortened by an inch I'm guessing , but it may work anyway. Maybe Mazda shock and mount in conjunction who knows, I'll keep you all posted.
Oh, I didn't mean that the Mazda3 rear shock mount would work on a Kizashi, but more to express the point that I think there is a rear shock mount for another car out there that may be the same or very similar to the Kizashi. In looking at the Mazda3's rear shock mount design, it seems like this type of design may be commonplace for similar cars so I hope we can one day identify a rear shock mount for a more ubiquitous vehicle that is compatible with the Kizashi.
KlutzNinja wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:49 pm Thanks for sharing that about the fog light, Kuro. I’ve heard from an automotive journalist that cars rely more heavily on components from third-party manufacturers than most people realize. For example, only a handful of wood companies supply wood for car interiors across most of the major car companies. Who knows how much that is the case for all of the Kizashi’s components? I’m curious as to how much the Kizashi actually shares with other cars... The unlock/lock beep is the same as a Lexus/Toyota/Subaru, if I’m not mistaken. It’s a little weird to think that someone who hears me lock my car figures I have a Toyota, which would offend me haha.
I suppose another example would be the key fob the Kizashi uses, which is supplied by the same company Nissan relies on (and Infiniti :lol:).
Without a doubt, all manufacturers rely on certain OEMs for certain parts. Though the Kizashi is a rare vehicle from a company that didn't make vehicles like it in the past, there are many components that it shares with other vehicles. This is why I'm keen on finding part #s by the OEM rather than Suzuki part #s, if applicable. Suzuki was tied to Nissan in some partnerships back when the Kizashi was made so there is no doubt they have some similar OEMs for components. Suzuki is now partnered more with Toyota and even have some "badge-engineered" vehicles in other markets. Suzuki wanted Toyota's tech in more developed markets like Europe while Toyota wanted Suzuki's market clout in developing Asian markets like India. Hence, we have vehicles like the Suzuki ACross PHEV in Europe... which looks exactly like a Toyota RAV4 PHEV because it's just that. If a Suzuki-engineered vehicle was to return to the US any time soon, it would be badged as a Toyota here.

2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KlutzNinja

I’ve heard the ACross has been somewhat of a sales flop, which is a shame. Although to be honest I think I prefer the original Toyota mug. The rear is unchanged from the RAV4 I believe. Suzuki also sells their version of the Corolla hatchback, too, with even less of a styling difference, I think. Definitely not the same extent of sharing technology as Mitsubishi and Nissan with the Outlander and Rogue, respectively. In my opinion it seems Suzuki has more to gain from this relationship than Toyota does. Suzuki sells well in India under their Maruti branding, but elsewhere they seem to struggle. Especially this past year with the pandemic hurting just about every automaker.
Current: Blue 2018 Mazda 3 GT 5-Door
Previous: Blue 2010 Ford Focus SES,
Black 2013 Kizashi Sport GTS-L (CVT; FWD)(RIP)