Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
FrankoLaMoya

Hi guys, I was about to create a new thread about a whining sound when I decided to search for it and here I am...

My Kizashi has been having a weird sound coming from the engine compartment for the past 6-7 months. I never really noticed it because I am always driving with the music a little loud. It sounds like a whining noise, but it is only happening when I am in gear, not in park. It does it at -15 or +25 degrees outside, the temperature does not matter. I went to the dealership…they checked a lot of things for 2-3 hours… they called the Suzuki tech line… not able to pin point what the problem is, but the dealership said there is definitely something wrong and the sound is not normal. They just told me to wait until it gets worst and that I still have plenty of warranty left. I am currently at 29000 km (warranty of 100 k). I understand they just can’t pin point the problem, but it is not really fun for me to drive around with a really good looking car, but making like an electric/whining sound when I am accelerating a little (not to the floor)… IT SUCKS because I am not really enjoying my car because I don’t want to break anything…You don't really notice the sound if you don't go over around 2500 RPM.

What am I supposed to do?

PS They told me it would not be the belt tensioner as mine (2012) have been changed already at the factory before coming to the dealership. They also said it is not the CVT transmission fluid as they checked it and it was a good color.

Another PS My Kizashi is honestly really bad on gas... only highway..I can't get more than 450 kms on a full tank and only city...I can't get more than 360 km. It always been like that. Could it be related? My real everage fuel economy is always between 15 and 18 mpg...it's disgutting. They did a fuel test around 3 months and said everything was fine...they showed me the results. I just don't understand...
2012 Suzuki Kizashi Sport iAWD CVT ''Kaijū'' (Black pearl metallic)

Priors:
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T 6MT ''Audini'' (Black)
1999 Audi A4 Quattro 2.8 AT (Dark green)
1984 Chevrolet Malibu 3MT with a 327 engine lol (Blue)
1996 Acura Integra 5MT (Black)
honsonwong

FrankoLaMoya wrote:Another PS My Kizashi is honestly really bad on gas... only highway..I can't get more than 450 kms on a full tank and only city...I can't get more than 360 km. It always been like that. Could it be related? My real everage fuel economy is always between 15 and 18 mpg...it's disgutting. They did a fuel test around 3 months and said everything was fine...they showed me the results. I just don't understand...
Wow, this is really bad, I always thought my mileage is bad, but I still can get 450kms on a full tank with almost 100% city and my routes are very short with about 7-8kms and even sometimes 2-3kms.
Ronzuki

Could absolutely be related. No different than a slipping clutch of a manual transmission. Higher rpms w/ less power tranferred to the ground. The pump's possibly struggling to keep pressure which in turn is not allowing the CVT to operate correctly and efficiently. I say drive the car harder and when it fails the obvious will be easy for them to diagnose. You'd think there would be a physical pressure test port and spec, or, a way for the pump pressure to be monitored via a sacn of the TCM.

I don't do much city driving and therfore can not offer any real world MPG numbers for you to bring to the service center to bolster your case. Maybe someone else here can. I can say that when I am doing a lot of short stop and go running around, the HUD's avg mpg drops quickly. I think 24mpg is the lowest I've ever calculated on a tank which is far better than what you are seeing. The car's not living up to the advertised ratings indicating something's wrong. Coupled w/ the CVT whine, to me, it's pretty obvious what the culprit is if you are not constantly hammering the throttle.

At least the service center is acknowleding the fact that something's not right, which is encouraging. As I had stated earlier in this thread, Suzuki no longer has any incentive to try and make you happy by replacing/fixing something that isn't completely dead. You may need to get legal help if this drags on too much longer.
Last edited by Ronzuki on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed spelling and poor grammar
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
krell

Suzuki no longer has any incentive to try and make you happy by replacing/fixing something that isn't completely dead....That don't sound too good owning a Suzuki now, gonna be looking at the new Mazda 6 soon.
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
murcod

Haven't other people (in the distant past) posted about how their fuel economy improved after a CVT was repalced?
David
Bizzenn

FrankoLamoya, is the whining most prevalent at around 3-3500 Rpm's? Also, if you mash the gas and let off quickly will it make a turbine like sound spoiling down?
FrankoLaMoya

Hey Bizzenn,

That is exactly what is going on! Is yours doing the same? There is only a whining noise when I am revving it to 3000-4000 rpms and there is definitely that turbine sound when I am deccelerating (almost like a metal sound). I did not know how to describe it...but that is a good way to. You make it sound like you have the answer...tell me you have the answer! haha

PS I am not exaggerating on my mileage... the most I got with only highway was 520 I think...and aorund 370 only city.

Priors:
Ronzuki

370 miles out of a roughly 15 gallon tank is @24-25 mpg. For city driving, that's not bad....I'm confused.

Anyway, I wonder if the CVT's fluid can be analyzed for metal content. Send a clean sample with some of yours along to Blackstone or similar lab. If excessive amounts are present in the used fluid, that would make for a strong case in demanding the transmission be replaced. It would be hard for them to deny that.
Ron

FrankoLaMoya

Hey Ronzuki,

I totally agree with you, I would be really happy with that mileage... I said it in the other post, but I forgot in this one...it is Kilometers and not miles..so big difference :( Do you think my Suzuki dealer owuld be able to send some of my CVT fluid to a lab in Canada or in the US?

Priors:
Ronzuki

FrankoLaMoya wrote: Do you think my Suzuki dealer owuld be able to send some of my CVT fluid to a lab in Canada or in the US?

Ah kilometers... yeah, your fuel economy blows!

I don't see why not. It's probably something you and the service center need to have done outside of Suzuki corporate (i.e. pay for yourself). When the results come back (to you directly) the service center may then involve Suzuki, assuming the results are confirmation of something in your favor. You and/or your service manager might then be able to make a case for reimbursement of the lab work as well as demanding the trans be replaced under warranty. It's hard to argue with third party lab results.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ber=843694
Ron