engine vibration

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Woodie

Ronzuki wrote:Another reason why a tech and his 'computer' wouldn't find squat being wrong. A TC is a purely mechanical device. Besides, if there weren't sensors or the programming (firmware) in place, one wouldn't expect the all knowing computer to tell you anything. Gone are the days of old school mechanics able to diagnose w/o an electronic device telling him what's wrong.
Ain't that the truth. Very hard to find a genuine mechanic anymore.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
CLLee

LPSISRL wrote:I'm going to shift into neutral at about 10 MPH when coming to a stop and I bet it won't happen. That will tell you pretty much for sure that it's tranny. We should all try this test and see if we all get the same result.
Yup... exactly what happened.

Good to know it's not an isolated case... or it going to cost me dearly down the road.
murcod

CLLee wrote:
LPSISRL wrote:I'm going to shift into neutral at about 10 MPH when coming to a stop and I bet it won't happen. That will tell you pretty much for sure that it's tranny. We should all try this test and see if we all get the same result.

Good to know it's not an isolated case... or it going to cost me dearly down the road.
A mass recall in a few years - like the Volkswagen Golf DSG saga? :roll:
David
Ronzuki

murcod wrote:
CLLee wrote:

Not likely to happen.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Ronzuki

murcod wrote: I'd imagine it is a programming issue as the torque converter lock should be some sort of electrical device?
Negative, unless the zuk employs some new whiz-bang TC technology, they either work as designed or they don't...nothing for 'programming' in a TC to control.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... verter.htm
Ron

jute2003

I remember reading about similar issues on the sx4 forum. Some people upgraded their ground wires and that seemed to eliminate the shuddering/shaking issues at idle. It could very easily be something different but it wouldn't be a bad cheap test. I know the ground cables aren't much more then adequate on our cars.
LPSISRL

What other vehicles use this exact transmission? I think I've read that Nissan uses this Jatco transmission. Maybe the Nissan Altima? Might be good to visit one of their forums and see if the same issues is occurring with other vehicles that use the same tranny.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
Ronzuki

If I'm not mistaken, it's in the SX4's w/ CVTs.
Ron

murcod

Ronzuki wrote:
murcod wrote:
Not likely to happen.
Yeah, I was joking and being sarcastic. :D
David
murcod

Ronzuki wrote:
murcod wrote: I'd imagine it is a programming issue as the torque converter lock should be some sort of electrical device?
Negative, unless the zuk employs some new whiz-bang TC technology, they either work as designed or they don't...nothing for 'programming' in a TC to control.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-part ... verter.htm
No, the lock up part in a modern torque converter is electronically controlled:

Lock up Torque converters

Lock up Torque converters have a clutch inside- the clutch grips together (controlled electronically) and allows better fuel economy by dropping the rpms down. When the clutch engages the converter locks the engine to the transmission input shaft so there is a direct connection between the motor and the transmission. It works like a fluid coupler, with an outside drum spinning, then the inside spins on the shaft of the transmission. This can produce tremendous heat and heat within the torque converter is bad for fuel economy! It can also transfer to the transmission or clutch and damage them by causing separation. The lock-up torque converter reduces the slippage which reduces heat which means better fuel economy.
from : http://www.baileyautomatics.com.au/torq ... rters.html

They've been around for quite a few years like that. I know some auto 4WD owners mod the wiring to enable them to manually lock the torque converter by flicking a switch in the cabin.
David