engine vibration

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Senegal

as i'm about to hit 23k on the '10 SLS AWD, i'm noticing a slight vibration of the engine as the car comes to a stop, it happens almost with every stop now and it's only when stopping. It would last 2-3 seconds at most and if my hands were not on the steering wheel i may not have even felt them. No mechanical issues so far, and the car is about 2500 miles in after the last synthetic change.

I don't think it's an alignment issue, although the roads in Michigan are probably the worst in the nation, and sometimes the steering wheel freaks out in the potholes.

Checked the oil, the level was fine, and the viscosity seemed ok, even the color of it was like a dark yellow.

I think in the past these vibrations were attributed to the CVT, but those happened when starting the car from a stop.

Has anyone else with a CVT noticed anything similar?
Ronzuki

On my normal travel to work I've found a stretch of road that depending on my track, how far left or right in the lane I am, I can get a repeatable slight vibration in the car for about 1/4 mile that I too initially thought was something mechanical in the drivetrain. It's simply picking up some vibes from the asphalt... low profile tires are a new thing for me.

Your problem doesn't seem to be road surface related based on your post. Could be trans, or even something related to the AWD system. You run your AWD engaged all the time, or, when this is happening?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
JakeRam

I was just telling somebody at work about something similar mine does. Almost every time I come to a stop, or maybe every time and I've just stopped noticing it, just before I completely stop the engine falters the tiniest little bit. I attributed it to the CVT since that's new to me. Does this sound like the same thing as you?
I have noticed that certain road surfaces do feel like vibrations, where in my previous car I never even noticed the road being "rough", but only certain types. Must be like a resonance thing....
Senegal

AWD off, i hope it's not trans or engine, well i guess warranty is still active :)
naviguy

I have seen mine do that 5/1000 stops.

I used to have an old car, that did that always... it was the idle dropped too low on every stop.

My Kizashi does that a few times... seems almost like it's going to stall (I see the tach drop slightly), then instantly recovers...
2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS - Red - CVT
Rockford System with Kenwood Navi
Rear 'Suzuki' and 'Kizashi' Badges Removed
Senegal

JakeRam, I think our cars are doing the same thing, so maybe it's not so out of ordinary i guess.

naviguy...good call about the tach dropping, i have to look at it next time, but you're right, it does feel like it would almost stall...except that it never does :)
naviguy

Today, I tested it....

Consistently, 10/10 attempts, if you accelerate off the line by flooring it, then stopping short after hitting 10-20 mph... the tack will drop 250 RPM (From 1000-750) or (750 to 500) depending on how high the engine temp is, and you will feel the 'shudder'.

I did read the owner's manual and it mentions "To Save Fuel, avoid Jack Rabbit stops and starts." however, it does not mention any idling problems.

You all think it's the CVT programming?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi GTS - Red - CVT
Rockford System with Kenwood Navi
Rear 'Suzuki' and 'Kizashi' Badges Removed
PlatinumGTS

Mine too does the same at times.
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
Minority

naviguy wrote:You all think it's the CVT programming?
I've come to the conclusion that the CVT is a s**t transmission that's poorly programmed IMHO. It seems to introduce a range of vibrations and shudders that detract from the otherwise good NVH characteristics of the Kizashi. :( Surprisingly it is at its best when driven "fast and furious" and at its worst when driven gently.
JakeRam

I made sure to pay attention to this today. I watched the tach and it definitely drops a few hundred RPM for a moment. And I don't have to do fast starts, just pull out of my space and stop at the exit of the parking lot like 35 feet away. Guy at work said it may have to do something with emissions as apparently changing to idle is one of those moments when emissions "peak"?? Anyway, I'm kind of glad to hear it's not just me at least. Maybe there will be a TSB for it. I agree with the comment about fast and furious too, it's a blast going fast, especially using the paddle shifters which work *superbly*, but a slow start from a light and the shift to second feels like you ran out of gas. Again, hopefully Suzuki will catch on and make programming changes...assuming it is that and not something mechanical. BTW, for visitors, I would consider this a nit-pick not a deal breaker.