TSB SI-0007 WHEEL ALIGNMENT SPECS

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

Got my alignment done today at a local independent shop. I took in the TSB and showed it to the service adviser. I told him the alignment was a problem from the factory and that nearly all Kizashis have the issue. I asked for them to align the wheels according to the TSB. He looked it over and said okay.
I then waited for the car.

About an hour and a half later, they got the car done and showed me the alignment sheet and stated that the front was off and the rear driver's side was off. I asked if the tech went by the TSB and the service adviser said they have the specs in their computer system. I told him again that the original factory specs were wrong hence the TSB.
He seemed a bit aloof about it and then added that the tech noticed damage to the right side of the cross-member and stated that may have caused of the alignment to go out of spec. I stated that I damaged the cross-member driving over a parking block completely covered in snow this winter. However, the alignment issue and inner tire wear pre-existed the damage.

Regardless, I could tell the actual tech who did the alignment took the TSB print-out as the papers were dirty were unstapled and restapled. I'm just hoping he went by those specs.

However, I'm not too concerned. I'm only doing this with the OEM Dunlops to get a little more life out of them. Once I get new tires in the near future, I will have the alignment checked again.

Overall, the car drives great as usual.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
bootymac

Can you share your before and after measurements?

Any difference in handling?
KuroNekko

bootymac wrote:Can you share your before and after measurements?

Any difference in handling?
Funny you bring up handling. I noticed better handling after the alignment. The handling is a bit more confident. I guess it makes sense since the tire is better distributed for traction.

I actually asked for the spec sheet before I left so the adviser copied it for me. I will scan and upload it tonight and we can discuss whether the TSB specs or original specs were implemented.
SamirD

smsmart wrote:...because I'm afraid it'll come out worse than when I brought it in. :?

Honestly, I wish I had the ability to just measure/do my own alignment, because I don't really feel like I can trust any of these "technicians". You mention the car not staying aligned for long (which others have echoed), yet the guys at the last alignment shop I was at claimed the alignment is fine. Is it really though? I haven't had an alignment done in over a year now, and I've definitely hit some good potholes during that time, so I'm a little surprised that it would have stayed aligned. I can't really confirm though because the numbers they have scratched on my receipt (handwritten) are mostly illegible.
Don't forget that you get to pay for that privilege too. :evil:

There actually is a way to align a car without a rack or fancy tools. I've seen guys at autocrosses do it. My Nissan Altima factory service manual also describes the process to a T for that car, although I'm sure it varies a lot from car to car. I haven't checked if the kizashi service manual has a procedure, but it's worth a look.
SamirD

KuroNekko wrote:Funny you bring up handling. I noticed better handling after the alignment. The handling is a bit more confident. I guess it makes sense since the tire is better distributed for traction.

I actually asked for the spec sheet before I left so the adviser copied it for me. I will scan and upload it tonight and we can discuss whether the TSB specs or original specs were implemented.
First time I've ever seen an agenda mentioned in a forum thread. :lol:

It will be interesting to see before and after specs as well as how close they are to the TSB. 8-)
~tc~

SamirD wrote:
smsmart wrote:There actually is a way to align a car without a rack or fancy tools. I've seen guys at autocrosses do it. My Nissan Altima factory service manual also describes the process to a T for that car, although I'm sure it varies a lot from car to car. I haven't checked if the kizashi service manual has a procedure, but it's worth a look.
I've done it on my 4Runner a couple times. It's not that difficult, but not that precise either. Good for repairing damage and getting it close enough to take into a general service place and have the alignment machine operator (different from an actual alignment tech) get it in to spec on the machine. Those guys generally don't understand the relationship between caster, camber, and toe for different setups, and if they have to come from a mile away will never get it right. Give them something close though, and they can nail it.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
IshaanIan

Are these alignment specs applicable to every Kizashi coming out of the Sagara plant? Mine is a FWD manual from India.
smsmart

You know, when I'm thinking about it...is there any real point to these TSB specs? Unless you happen to run into a shop that doesn't have their alignment software updated?

So far, every shop I've gone to already had the proper specs on hand--there wasn't any need for me to give them the TSB. And at this point, who wouldn't have updated specs? The car has been on the road for four years already.

On top of that, the specs on the TSB are the same specs listed in the specifications section of my owner's manual...which was printed in 2010. So I'm not sure what they were updating? Unless this applied to the earliest Kizashi's that rolled off the line, and the specs at that time were incorrect.
KuroNekko

IshaanIan wrote:Are these alignment specs applicable to every Kizashi coming out of the Sagara plant? Mine is a FWD manual from India.
I'm sure they are given the Kizashi was only ever made in the Sagara, Japan plant.
Mine is a FWD manual too.
bootymac

smsmart wrote:On top of that, the specs on the TSB are the same specs listed in the specifications section of my owner's manual...which was printed in 2010. So I'm not sure what they were updating? Unless this applied to the earliest Kizashi's that rolled off the line, and the specs at that time were incorrect.
Haha wow, I just compared the TSB and 2010 owner manual (page 12-4) specs to verify and they are indeed the same. After rereading the TSB, it appears that its purpose is to just provide the specs from the manual converted into different units of measurement.

This doesn't deny the evident alignment issues from the factory though