Manual tranny - Gear whine and rubbing noise?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
uzz32

Hi all,

First post on this forum - great to find a club dedicated to the Kizashi :D

Anyhow, for those that have a Kizashi 6mt, do you suffer from a rubbing noise when in second gear? When I change from first to second and coast (no acceleration), the gearbox starts whining and makes a rubbing noise, almost as if the clutch plates are rubbing together. :(
AlexRuiz

Welcome to the forum!

I noticed that sometimes, when cold, shifting is a little harder, and I make the gears grind. I have always attributed this one to "user error" ;)
2010 Suzuki Kizashi S MT
Bobolini

Uzz 32. yes, i get it in first and second gear but not a rubber noise. mine sounds like gear noise when letting off the gas under deccelration. wish i knew if it was ok but I don't want to take it to the dealer just to check it out. it's a 100 mile trek and they aren't open on the weekends. Hell the only other time is I aske them about aligning my car and they said they didn't have the specs or an alignment rack. I've searched the internet but have read various issues but they weren't a Kizashi. Any other manual guys here in this forum want to help by responding? Appreciate it
BM-Power

I noticed in really cold morning when just taking off, it feels a bit notchy to go into 2nd gear, it requires a bit more force to shift from 1st to 2nd gear (all other gears are smooth). This only happens for first few minutes until everything heats up and gets lubricated...takes about 5-10min of driving. After that, it shifts really smoothly like cutting butter with a hot knife.

I'm guessing it takes some time for oil to warm up and things to get lubricared, therefore it's all normal :?

I'm not getting any rubbing/grinding/whining noise tho...
BMW E46 330i SMG
Suzuki Kizashi 6MT
Ronzuki

Have any of you guys replaced your gear oil in the trans yet? Actually checked the level? Don't expect the dealer did it prior to delivery, even if they provided you w/ one of those nifty 200 point inspection checklists. I ask because the Wrangler I traded in on the Kiz was notorious for behaving this exact same way. Replaced the gear oil w/ new and it would behave for 10-12k miles. Syncros sometimes are a bit fussy about the condition of the oil, and much like and engine, fresh fluid can ease the pains. Just a suggestion.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
MNSLS

I'll 2nd Ronzuki.

I had a similar problem in a 99 Cobra. 1st to 2nd shifting wasn't smooth especially on those -20 mornings. Shifting seemed to work fine after everything had been warmed up. I put in new Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid and it all went away. Why ATF in a manual? Dealer recommendation and approved by Ford for use in their manuals.
Moto
Site Admin

Ronzuki +1
Bobolini

I am not having a problem with hard shifting. Just a noticeable gear whine when decelerating either from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 1st.
Ronzuki

Have you checked the oil level in the trans yet? If it were me, I'd change the gear oil and see what happens....cheap and easy for a little piece of mind plus it then eliminates the oil as the culprit.

One other thing, never drove a Kiz MT, but I've owned some vehicles that were none too happy with me for downshifting while rolling along too fast (the Wrangler and the Ram p/u before that). That's what syncros are for, and again, if the oil/fluid is not up to par, poor shifting response and gear whining become more pronounced.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Aviator

Hey, first post here. I have a 2012 Kizashi with manual transmission and have noticed that it's nearly impossible at times to shift through 2nd gear without a slight bit of gear grind noise. Other gears are no problem. I've driven manuals as long as I've driven and am nearly certain it's not a driving technique issue. If I shift really slowly from 1st to 2nd, I can minimize it, but it's almost like I can feel the gear teeth engaging in the trans and feeding back through the shifter. If the car warms up, it's not as bad but never quite goes away. I have not checked the fluid quality or level yet, but that's next on my list. I'm thinking of switching over to a pure synthetic since it gets down to zero in the winter around here. BTW, has anyone changed their transmission oil to synthetic, and if so, what brand and weight? My owner's manual says "Suzuki 75W80". Any thoughts?