fuel consumption while braking with engine

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
klement

Hi,

I have the 2011 model with CVT and I'm using an OBD scanner with "torque" app to monitor the engine, mainly for fun. I noticed a strange behaviour:

When I put my foot of the gas pedal, the car naturaly starts to slow down. In this case I see 2 possible scenarios.

1.) if the speed is above 80km/h, both torque and onboard computer show 0l/100km. this is expected and ok.

2.) if the speed is below 80km/h, the onboard computer shows 0 (no bar shown), while torque shows ~2l/100km.

Another interesting fact is that if I downshift and raise the rpm to say 4000, this consumption goes up (3-4l/100km). I would understand why if this was an old carburettor based engine, but of course it isn’t :)

Anybody else playing with tools like this and noticing any strange behaviour like this?

Regards,
Klement
Moto
Site Admin

I find the reported values unlikely... It is probably just poor programing on the feed back. It should consume close to zero on a downshift.
WESHOOT2

Since I regularly downshift my 2011 S AWD CV-T to retard forward mo, I've thought about whether the fuel system sprays a bit of cooling gasoline when not on the throttle.
Yes I have.
klement

Well that doesn't make much sense. When the engine is not being fuel-fed, then there is no heat from the combustion process, rather the air which is still flowing through it cools it. Also, why would it do this only when the speed is < 80km/h?
NiteRider

Brake assist have something to do with this?
'12 Kizzy GTS - Azure Gray
'10 Jeep Liberty
klement

I think it shouldn't. Since the engine is being moved by external source of power (wheels and the cars inertia), all other systems that get power from it can continue to do so. No need to add fuel, there is no way for the engine to stutter or shutdown while the car is moving faster than some small (5?10?kmh) speed.
11zukizashi

Which bluetooth adapter were you using? I just ordered the super mini one from amazon ill post my results when i get it
klement

I have the OBDKey from UK.
Meanwhile, there was a bug found in the OBD software, so kizashi does not really burn fuel in this situation, as expected.
Blackbelt

All modern cars have DFCO(deceleration fuel cut-off). When you are off the throttle, and the RPMS are above idle, the fuel injectors cut off all fuel.
2010 Kizashi S AWD
2009 Suzuki SX-4 Touring AWD
2008 Smart fortwo Passion Coupe
2007 Dodge Caliber R/T AWD