Re-program a keyfob

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
vapor2

Hi everyone,
I just bought an extra keyfob on ebay($99) for my 2011 SE. The dealer want to charge $100 to re-program it. I think i'll ask local auto locksmith to re-program it. Hopefully it'll be cheaper. Before i do it, any advice is much appreciated.
Note: I just crack the 36K miles, thus the bumper to bumper warranty is done :(
vapor2

FYI...it's been a couple week...i've called a bunch of local auto locksmith and none of them could reprogram the Kizashi keyfob :(( Suzuki dealer is the only one that could reprogram the fob. So people, DO NOT loose your keyfob.
blackout

The car has to be programed not the key fob. Had a third key fob added to mine and the tech that was working on it locked the immobilizer up and had to be replaced on my two week old(at the time) Kizashi. The immobilizer only allows three consecutive attempts then it locks and makes a very expensive paper weight. The dealer told me it went in the trash can because the cannot be unlocked. Nothing on the car works once the immobilizer locks except the Headlights, domelights, & trunk release.
vapor2

so....please correct me if i am wrong.....it's the immobilizer that have to learn the new keyfob? NOT the new keyfob being programed in order to "talk" to the car's immobilizer ?
blackout

Yep the car has to learn the keyfob.
vapor2

Thanks..
ochy38

Bumping this old thread instead of starting new. GF lost one of her keyfobs, so she's down to one. Will any used kizashi fob on Ebay work to be reprogrammed at the dealer? Or does it have to be "unlocked"? I came across an article that said it needed to be an unlocked fob to work, but that was from a locksmith website with an interest in selling "unlocked" fobs...
LPSISRL

I think that you can get the car programmed for a Suzuki fob you buy on eBay.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
SamirD

Wife lost our second fob a few years back and when I researched it back then, apparently there are only 4 slots on the ECU for fobs and each one is permanent. So if you program another one that leaves just one slot left. If for some reason the ebay one doesn't take, you'll be down to your last slot, and after that you have to replace the ecu.

The programming at the dealership is the most expensive part of the process and from what I recall, you're only saving about $50 going ebay vs dealership. I didn't seem worth the $50 gamble to me back then.
Ronzuki

Especially if the ICM gets bricked by them, you have at least a skinny leg to stand on as far as who's going to pay for the new module.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)