Recommended Brand of Motor Oil?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

Hi,

I've searched this forum a few times, but I couldn't find a thread discussing the best brand of oil for our engines. Anyone have anything they like to use? Anyone got a used oil analysis done comparing different brands?
I've used Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra in my previous Mazda3. They came highly recommended for the Mazda MZR engine by Mazda3 forums and BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com).
I was wondering if anyone had some impressive results with a particular oil for the Suzuki engine. I plan to keep using Platinum or Ultra at this point. Both are highly regarded for their cleaning abilities among other qualities. It's also cheaper than Mobil 1.
Also, anyone like a particular oil filter?
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

I noticed in the owner's manual Suzuki recommends Shell engine oils. (Not that I'm suggesting it is the best oil to use.)

If you've got a warranty it's probably best to stick with the genuine oil filters. If something goes wrong it's one less way for them to try and get out of a warranty claim.
David
Moto
Site Admin

we haven't really had any fun oil wars on this site that are typical of car forums. Probably because the kizashi isn't overly performance oriented. I know I have read a lot regarding my saab. Long story short. I don't think the oil really matters at the interval I change my oil at.
Ronzuki

Want to see some really crazy oil wars, check out any Jeep site regarding the 4.0l and flat tappet cams!

Whatever brand name full syn is on sale is what I go with anymore. I'm warming up to the 5-7.5k change interval as well. I've got the receipts to prove everything if there's a problem.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
Northernstar

I usually use 0W20 Amsoil or 5W30 mobil 1 fully synthetic. I find using 5W30 make the engine hard to turn over in winter.
KuroNekko

Northernstar, given that you are in Canada, I imagine the colder winters would have a big effect on the viscosity of motor oil. I don't live in a climate that calls for changing viscosity depending on the season. I plan to use 5W-30 all year around.
Sounds like no one has gone nuts and done a used oil analysis or cared to argue about the best oil. I think I will stick to Pennzoil Platinum then. Thanks.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
klement

During the last winter here in Slovakia, the temps dropped to about -15C (5F). I have a 5W30 oil in the Kizzy (can't remember the brand, the dealer did the change) and the engine always started without any hesitation.
Northernstar

Kuronekko, I usually dont change the viscosity either. I only get Mobil 1 5W30 if I can't get Amsoil 0W20. Where I live, it sometimes gets to -40C in winter, but it's around -25 most of the time. I find that 0W20 makes the engine run smoother in both winter and summer. Just my 2 cents
WESHOOT2

Mine has only seen the dealer.
WESHOOT2

...and my dealer uses Suzuki-branded oil and Suzuki filters...