2011 Kizashi NO oil change from dealer!!!! 20K!!! GHAAA!

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Galaxie500LTD

Hi everyone, I just changed the oil in my mothers 2011 Kizashi. It was purchased with 13,000 kms on the odometer. The dealership had about 10 of them. They were used by various employees of Suzuki to familiarize themselves with the made in Japan Kizashi. The dealership entrusted her that the regular servicing has been done up to this point. The next service was due at 19,000 Kms. I felt bad that it was 1K beyond the next oil change as I think this a GREAT car. I Decided to go with Mobil 1 synthetic and a M1-103 filter. To my complete horror, I'm 100% sure, the dealership HAS NEVER CHANGED THE OIL. When I drained it, it was BLACK, BLACK, BLACK! horrible looking oil :o . The drain plug had the original factory paint mark matched to the pan and I started to think... this oil has NEVER been changed. There was also no evidence of oil spillage (which WILL happen when you remove the filter). Then I removed the filter. A Suzuki factory filter with the green paint mark on it from the day it was built to show it was installed and checked. The engine now has ticking, clacking sounds (I'm freaked out now, so it sounds bad to me). My brother in-law has the same year Kizashi and he compared his engine sound to my mom's... he thinks it's making more noise than his as well. I plan on doing another oil change very soon, or getting it back to the dealership and demanding they do an oil change (I live 3 hrs away so it's not that easy to just drop in). It just scares the hell out of me that this basically brand new, beautiful motor, has never had it's oil changed at 20,000kms. How much damage do you think has occurred? I know the dealership will deny their incompetence. They were terrible to my mom when she went to pick up her car, but that's another story. I don't know what to do.... just sharing my horror and hoping for some thoughts out there....
murcod

Don't panic too much at this stage. Here the first oil change is at 12mths/15000km (something I'm not impressed with either...) The oil being black also means it's doing it's job and keeping the engine clean.

What viscosity Mobil 1 have you filled it with? Perhaps you've inadvertently chosen the wrong viscosity and that is adding to the noise. I've also had some interesting experiences with aftermarket oil filters and Suzuki engines making more noise- I assume that's a Mobil oil filter you've used as well?

Warranty wise you might have problems as you've changed the oil yourself. Unless you're a qualified mechanic?
David
Ronzuki

Don't need to be a qualified mechanic to change your oil, Just keep the receipts for the oil and filter and noting the mileage you changed it. Records....gotta have them. Did the dealer produce any indicating they actually performed the required sevice? If it ain't been written, it ain't been said (or done). Without records, warranty from Suzuki will likely be a problem should the engine require any work in the future.

BTW, if the car is AWD the rear differential gear lube replacement was due at 7,500 miles. You best get that done asap as well. That will be some nasty looking stuff when it comes out at this point.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
murcod

Hmmmm... Different rules to here then. In Australia you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if the servicing wasn't done by a qualified mechanic.
David
gentle_ben

The extra noise you are hearing is valve train noise from switching to Mobil 1 synthetic. The same thing happens in my Nissan Titan. Put regular oil back in it and the noise should dissapear.

I wouldn't worry about hurting the car over having that many km without an oil change. While its not an ideal situation by any means, we actually change our oil too often in North America. You go to other countries, and read the owner's manual for the exact same vehicle and their recommended oil change intervals are sometimes double ours.
Galaxie500LTD

Thanks everyone for your input, I really appreciate it!

-So, I used 5W30 Mobil 1 Synthetic with a Mobil M1-103 filter. It's a 2WD Kizashi, so no worries about the rear dif....phew!

-It's encouraging to hear that the synthetic can cause some noise in this engine. It's too bad, I'm a big fan of synthetic. What oil + filter should I put in?

-Nope, I'm not a certified mechanic, just a guy who was been doing my own work on cars for many years. It's unfortunate that the "professionals" that do work on cars, for the most part (in my experience), are completely worthless tools. My mom's previous car was a Kia Spectra. She went by the book for dealer servicing. The "PROS" did a transmission service and sent her on her way.... a few days later her car wouldn't go into reverse, wouldn't change gears and had to be towed back to the dealership. A "mechanic" who worked there asked her why there was almost no transmission fluid in her car? .... how would she know? they did the work. Anyway, the transmission was ruined and had to be replaced. It was done under warranty at least, but you can see why I would prefer to do the servicing myself. And so far, seeing as no one has serviced this Kizashi whatsoever, I'm right to think that.

-I too am worried about the warranty seeing as I did the oil change (the ONLY oil change). My brother in law got his oil changed a few days after he picked up his Kizashi at a quick lube type place... they didn't use the right filter (I guess?) and as soon as they started it, it began shooting oil EVERYWHERE. You can imagine how happy he was about that. They apologized, power washed his engine, and did the oil change again. He got to drive home smelling burning oil cooking off his new car. He enjoyed that smell for a few days until it was all baked off...or on rather. Just another bunch of pros doing a terrific job. I have so many more horror stories... but anyway...

-When I called a Suzuki dealership up north (closer to where I live) to ask about recommended oils and capacity and what not, I was informed that the warranty would be voided if I dared to touch the Kizashi. So I said, "my brother in law got his oil changed at a quick lube... and now his car has no warranty???"

She back peddled a bit, then said, if I used a Suzuki brand oil filter and purchased Mobil 1 synthetic from them... that might be okay... I told my bro-in-law about this and he asked his dealership if his car was off warranty.. they said it wasn't... so I really have no idea who to believe...

-As far as service records for my mom's car. The warranty package in the glove box (which states that the dealership will fill out the sections upon servicing at 5,000kms, 10,000mks etc.) is completely BLANK....

Yippeee. I don't know when I'll have the time, but I might have to drive 3 hrs to go to this dealership in person... I'll tell how they handled her when she went to pick up her car new and drop off the old Kia (trade in) another time... I'm afraid to go to that dealership.... I predict there will be much anger...

Thanks again everybody for your input
Moto
Site Admin

I have never heard of a dealer not honoring a warranty because of oil changes. If they tried they would have to be able to prove that it was the oil change that caused the problem. Most dealers would never risk the negative publicity they may receive from such an event.

I'm with you. Nobody touches my car other than me. If I screw it up I screw it up. I'm a lot more careful than most of the morons they let work in oil change shops.

I'm not saying all shops/mechanics are bad but I have come across several that don't take any pride in their work. It also isn't really in their best interest to really keep your car running like a top.
Ronzuki

Dealers won't honor anything warranty related unless they are positive they will get reimbursed for whatever it is they are going to do. All I'm saying is receipts remove all the doubt and offer them (dealer, ASMC) zero reason to deny the claim. To prove, or disprove, what was or was not at fault, the engine must be torn down. That work will not happen unless a) you agree to pay for it, or b) ASMC agrees to warranty it. The dealer will most certainly not do it for free.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WESHOOT2

I take my car to the dealer.
They use Suzuki oil and filter.
It costs less (aggravation).
Ay?
~tc~

WESHOOT2 wrote:I take my car to the dealer.
They use Suzuki oil and filter.
It costs less (aggravation).
Ay?
X2 - at least until the bumper-to-bumper is up
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic