Rockford Fosgate vs non Rockford Fosgate head unit plugs

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
murcod

I was wondering if anyone knows if the main wiring harness plug into the back of the RF and non RF head units are the same?

(I know there are differences with speaker level outputs etc. I just need info on the plugs themselves.)
David
murcod

Looks like the plug might be the same?
RF
non RF

I'm hoping it's just a case of the line level converter being in the harness that's different? Plus the RF would have extra wires for the sub output.
David
murcod

Apparently they're different - or there has been a harness plug change with the 2011 model upgrade?
David
KZChi

Any luck on finding the answer murcod? I just bought a used '12 SE model and I would like to swap the non RF head unit with the RF one to get the bluetooth feature. I dont want to spend money on an aftermarket headunit, plus I like the look of the OEM system.
murcod

The pin outs are different (different signals on different pins) and the wiring looms aren't the same. You'll most likely be missing the wiring loom from the head unit to the rear mounted amplifier (as well as the amplifier itself and subwoofer.)

Your best option would be to try and pick up the factory option bluetooth kit off Ebay. I know they pop up on Ebay.com.au regularly.

(In all honesty, you're better off ditching the factory head unit. It's the worst head unit I've had in a modern vehicle- it lacks the power to drive even the most sensitive after market speakers.)
David
11zukizashi

You cant just add bluetooth by swapping radios you need the steering wheel controls and the microphone yada yada yada
Murcod... take a look at your factory speaker resistance values and you will probably find the aftermarket speakers are increasing the resistance on the head unit and that is why you are noticing reduced output. The factory sound system is put together in a very unique way by using a dual voice coil center channel run in parallel with low resistance door speakers and tweeters.
murcod

Please see my other response. The factory door woofers are 4 Ohms impedance- as are most aftermarket speakers. Including the pair I trialed with the factory head unit.
David
11zukizashi

Oh well then i agree the factory radio is a POS
murcod

I'm a big believer in there being no need to swap out modern factory head units for decent sound quality. The speakers I trialed are high sensitivity quality speakers (used successfully in my last vehicle with the stock head unit) but they just had no punch to them in the Kizashi. I changed the head unit and it sounds like a totally different set up. The internal rear view mirror now vibrates with the bass (on only mid level volumes), no chance of that with the old head unit!
David