2013 Integrated NAVI Unit Question

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
fjroman2

Hello. New owner here, picked up my new 2013 SLS on Sunday 12/30/12.

Let me start by saying I love this car so far. Been following their development since 2010, but never really could get myself to buy one. I had a 2007 Mazda 3S that was fully loaded too...and low miles. Didn't really need a new car. Let me just say, I got a slammin deal on this car...so I could not turn it down. It was a Demo with 1600 miles on it (driven by the 70 year old owner of the dealership). The car was brand new, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, it is fully loaded with the NAVI unit, but satellite radio was not included. I was told I could add a receiver and I would be all set. I paid the dealer $580 to do this and I am seriously dissapointed. They installed a receiver (through the dealer representative), and now I have to tune to an FM station and use a remote to control the satellite radio. It is very wierd. I cannot use the Bluetooth for the satellite at all. Anyone else have this done on a 2013 (seems like the 2012's were XM capable - and this was not an issue)? They are telling me this is standard proceedure...and this is the only way to do it because Suzuki didn't provide "something" in the head/NAVI unit. I don't understand enough about it to know what is right or wrong. (P.S. they forgot to hook up my antenna too, so I get nothing for AM/FM radio stations at the moment).

Another question, if I got the Suzuki roof rack...can I put a cartop carrier on it (if I wanted to take it on a vacation with the family)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

~Frank
2013 Suzuki Kizashi SLS AWD - Premium Silver
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
2013 Honda Pilot (wife's vehicle)
KuroNekko

Hi welcome.

I also came from a Mazda3. I had a 2005 Mazda3 S Sport 5 spd manual. Good car, but once I caught wind of the Kizashi, I became fascinated with the car. When I found a good deal on an used one spec'ed the way I wanted it, I jumped on it. The Kizashi is a lot better than a 3 in my opinion in most ways.

I can't answer your question regarding the navi and the satellite radio. I don't have either one on my GTS.

Regarding the carrier: I am almost certain you can attach a carrier. In fact, the UK Suzuki Kizashi has a carrier as an official accessory. For some reason, ASMC did not offer it. From the photos, it looks like the roof rack is identical for both countries leading me to believe our US spec Kizashis can accommodate a similar roof carrier.

Here's the roof box for UK models:
http://becauseyoucan.co.uk/accessories/#!prettyPhoto/7/
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
fjroman2

I agree, the Kizashi is better than the Mazda in most aspects. But mine is only a week old, so I'll hold my enthusiam for now (even though I love it) :lol:
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
KuroNekko

In my personal opinion...

Here's what I think the Kizashi is better than the Mazda3 on:
- Comfort, especially the seats.
- Ride quality. Kizashi is much much better.
- Noise insulation, especially road noise.
- Features (but hard to compare a 2005 vs. 2011 car).
- Room, especially rear leg room.
- Driving position and seating.
- Softer, more comfortable clutch pedal and engagement.
- More secure cornering.
- Audio system, but probably not fair to compare GTS' RF system to stock Mazda's.
- (Probably) Reliability. My Mazda was the least reliable car I owned, though it was still pretty good. Ford-sourced parts were the bane of my Mazda ownership experience. The Kizashi is 100% Suzuki.

Here's what the Mazda3 was better than the Kizashi on:
- Acceleration. VVT kicked in much better on the Mazda's MZR motor.
- Shifter. The Mazda's 5 speed shifter was A LOT better. Kizashi's is not great.
- More predictable handling, but not more secure in corners.
- Overall better engine & transmission pairing.
- Popularity and resale value.

Where they are comparable:
- Overall Handling. Both handle best in class. Both in my opinion and of many auto critics'.
- Fuel economy. Getting similar figures for the two cars.
- Looks. They both look good to me.

Overall, the Kizashi is the winner. It's just far more refined with only minor compromises. The Mazda's poorer ride quality and uncomfortable seats were wearing me out on my work commute and the Kizashi has fixed that big time. The Mazda3 is a good car, but the Kizashi is better. I think you will soon find out too.
fjroman2

I agree with everything you have said...and I am already realizing that I like this car better.

ok...so regarding the Satellite radio. What I am finding out is for the 2013, Suzuki switched the head unit to a Rockford Fosgate and went away from the Kenwood unit they had in the 2012. What I haven't found out yet, is if there is a better solution to the installation of the Sat Radio that I have right now...if there is no solution, I am going to be seriously bummed.
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
KuroNekko

I swear I read somewhere that the new unit is actually a Panasonic, but just has the RF branding because the audio system is RF. I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere. Maybe look into it and if it's correct, see what the Panasonic unit's capabilities are.
fjroman2

I cannot find anything anywhere on this being a Panasonic. In fact, I can't find anything period on the 2013 Stereo...:(
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
fjroman2

I have become very frustrated with this situation...no one seems to be able to tell me why my stereo is different than any other Kizashi they have seen or worked on...UGH!
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
fjroman2

Ok...so, I still have gotten no where with this stereo. Has anyone else heard anything on the 2013 NAVI Stereo vs the 2012?

I have found this...on the Rockford Stereo:
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/(S(3j5ao ... ?id=12349

I am now concerned that I may not have a subwoofer. Again this is a 2013 SLS, should have all the bells and whistles. I took some pictures of the trunk space...I don't see a sub or an AMP. Can someone let me know if I am missing something?
IMAG0236.jpg
IMAG0237.jpg
IMAG0238.jpg
Priors:
2007 Mazda 3S GTS
2004 VW Passat
1997 Nissan Pathfinder
D3lusion

If its anything like the Australian model that all 2013 will not have the Rockford Fosgate sound system, instead you'll get the navigation unit with the standard 7 speakers.