Problems with Key Fob

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
murcod

NiteRider wrote:It's important to note that you should replace the FOB batteries soon after you discover they are getting low. Once they are fully depleted, they will lose their programming and will need to be reprogrammed by the dealer which will cost you a pretty penny.
Have you had that happen?

Logic would suggest that if that was the case then changing out the battery would also cause the programming to be lost? These days most devices use non volatile flash memory (ie. memory that doesn't lose the data in the event of loss of power.)
David
Cate

NiteRider wrote:It's important to note that you should replace the FOB batteries soon after you discover they are getting low. Once they are fully depleted, they will lose their programming and will need to be reprogrammed by the dealer which will cost you a pretty penny.
Thanks, better see about replacing the other one sooner than later! It's not used that often, so I don't think about it.
2011 SLS Sport Manual
LPSISRL

Cate wrote:Thanks, all. Feel kind of silly now as it was just the battery. Replaced it the other day and it's been fine now. Will also replace the battery in my 2nd fob, as that one doesn't unlock the doors unless you are very close to the car.

It was frustrating to find how to open the fob and what battery to get (CR2032), I could not find that in my manual at all! I got the battery number from searching this forum, and husband figured out how to open and replace it.
Page 2-14 in the Owner's Manual shows how to replace the battery and the battery type.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
SamirD

Thank you for this thread! I just had the same thing happen to me and my wife (each of us have a fob) when we came back from church tonight. Will replace with cr2032 stat!
KZChi

Just wondering, does anyone know approximately how much the dealer will charge you here in the U.S. to program a fob? I'm gonna have to get one, I've seen them on ebay for like $60.
Shaneous

Sometimes odd fob / unlock behaviour it a little random.

For example:
I find that in the last year or two, when I exit my house in the morning the car will not unlock using the fob - I have to press the door button. On the odd occaison, it will unlock with the fob but very rare.

However - when I leave from work at the end of the day I can unlock the car with the fob from a good 20 meters away. And its the opposite; rarely it won't unlock and I need to press the button.

I can also unlock it with the fob from a long way away in most other locations I can think of, yet at my own house, specifically in the mornings - I usually end up having to press the door button to get in.

Are there any known factors that can block / disrupt fobs from communicating like this?! An RF frequency or something? I find it a little odd!
~tc~

Mine was kinda doing that, replaced battery and it's better now
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
SamirD

Shaneous wrote:Sometimes odd fob / unlock behaviour it a little random.

For example:
I find that in the last year or two, when I exit my house in the morning the car will not unlock using the fob - I have to press the door button. On the odd occaison, it will unlock with the fob but very rare.

However - when I leave from work at the end of the day I can unlock the car with the fob from a good 20 meters away. And its the opposite; rarely it won't unlock and I need to press the button.

I can also unlock it with the fob from a long way away in most other locations I can think of, yet at my own house, specifically in the mornings - I usually end up having to press the door button to get in.

Are there any known factors that can block / disrupt fobs from communicating like this?! An RF frequency or something? I find it a little odd!
I've run into this as well. I've noticed that my phone or something else blocking it makes a difference.
~tc~ wrote:Mine was kinda doing that, replaced battery and it's better now
This is good to know. 8-) Another reason to move on that battery change!
~tc~

The guy put the battery on his tester and it checked "green", but right on the bottom of the range.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic