Service Starting System Message

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
LPSISRL

OK, I just go my Kizashi and this is my first car with push-button start. Here's what happened yesterday.

I needed to close the sunroof so I went into ACC mode by pushing the switch.
I got out of the car without pushing the switch again.
I locked the car (at least I thought I did
When I came back a couple hours later to leave, I noticed all the dash lights were on.
Hit the button to exit ACC mode
Tried to start and nothing happened when pressing the brake and the button. The lights came on, the A/C fan came on but no cranking. Funny thing was none of the controls worked. Fan speed, temp, etc.
Service Starting System came up on the display
Thought maybe it was a battery issue because I operated the wipers and they went really slow.
Tried to jump start the car
It now cranked but did not start
Friend told me that his car did something similar and he had to go into the rear somewhere and "reset" it.
I put it back in ACC mode and now the ACC controls seemed to work.
Took it out of ACC mode
Pressed brake and hit the start button and it started right up.

So, did I do some kind of no-no when I accidentally left it in ACC mode? I thought maybe when I did so, the lights were turned on and I ran the battery down.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Do you know of any conditions where the fuel pump would be shut off?
Thanks!
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
KuroNekko

Here's what I think happened:

You left the car when it was not fully OFF, in fact, it was ON.
The Kizashi's push button has this cycle. OFF, Accessories (basically the radio) aka ACC, ON, then back to OFF. If you depress the brake pedal (or clutch in manual), then the engine will start on first button touch. Otherwise, it will cycle in this way without starting the engine.

When you closed the sunroof, you were not in ACC mode, but actually in ON mode. The windows and moonroof is only powered when in ON. You then did not turn off the car which left the car technically ON. The best way to tell the difference between ACC mode and ON is by the dash lights. The dash lights only come on in ON.

The reason why the car did not start is most likely because of two factors: The ON mode would have turned on the HVAC fans had you last been using them. This means the battery alone was powering the fan motors. The car was basically drawing electrical power which was draining the battery.

The second factor is very common regarding used cars recently purchased: weak batteries. Used cars typically sit on lots for weeks or months and don't get started very often during that time. This causes the battery to lose charge over that time. Batteries typically drain out easily around this time from leaving the lights on, stereo on, etc.
When you left your car on, the already weak battery ran very low. It basically went below the threshold to crank. It started once it was jumped after going through the start button cycle, correct?
For me, this is a clear indication of a drained battery from the car being left on.

Your battery is probably weak. It may take a week of driving regularly for the alternator to fully charge up the battery. If cranking problems persist, it may be time for a new battery.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Ronzuki

I absolutely concur w/ the above. There's MANY power hungry devices drawing current in the car w/ the system 'ON'. The factory Kiz battery is not the most robust. They seem to be needing replacement after about 3 years. My battery is getting replaced this fall heading in to winter if it doesn't give me any trouble this summer. It turned 3 this past March and was not cranking very well this past winter.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

I'm a little confused. I thought if you pressed the brake and hit the button, it was in ON mode. If you just hit the button, it will go into ACC mode. I should have been more clear in that when I said dash lights, I meant all the little icons. I could not tell if the dash lights were on as it was too bright outside to see.

Also, when I tried to jump it, it cranked and cranked but would not start. After turning it off, putting it into ACC mode, turning it off again and then trying to start it, it worked.

The car was drive about 4.5 hours the day before driving it home from DC. I guess if the battery is suspect, it could be a bad battery. So it's back to reading the Owner's Manual carefully. The good thing is that there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the starting system as I've had no issues since it started.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
KuroNekko

For cars, "ON" does not necessarily mean the engine is running. A car can be ON without the engine running.

Basically, when the car's HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning) is on and the dash lights (yes, those icons you are talking about) are lit, then the car is technically ON regardless of the engine running or not.

ACC is the accessory mode that only powers the stereo and maybe a few other things. The main reason it exists is so people can listen to the stereo without the car being technically ON.

Basically, you left your car ON without the engine running. This caused the HVAC to run (the fan) and it drained your battery. When the engine is not running, the only thing powering the electricals is the battery. When the engine is running, both the battery and alternator power the electricals.

You said the car did not start when initially jumped. You then tried again. Was the car still connected to the good battery from the jump? Regardless, even from hooking it up, the good battery was sending a current to your car.

Your battery may not be in great condition, but leaving the car ON and the fan running for hours would drain any battery considerably. Drive around and the car should be back to normal again.

Just remember that ignition ON does NOT necessarily mean the engine is running. When you leave your car, make sure you fully turn it off. My car even makes a distinct electric motor noise when I turn the car OFF.

P.S. When the car is ON or in ACC, the display between the gauges will flash a warning in orange and the car will chime if the fob departs the cabin area of the car. It's to tell you the car is still ON or in ACC mode, yet the fob is leaving its range.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
honsonwong

Anytime when you press the brake and hit the start button, the engine will start.
If you did not press the brake and hit the start button, then
1st hit - ACC (stereo on)
2nd hit - ON (windows, A/C, skylight, stereo....on)
3rd hit - OFF
Actually when you open the door in ACC and ON, you can hear deep deep deep sound, then you know you need to hit the button until its in the OFF mode.
honsonwong

I agree and believe that after your car have a long run, the battery will be back to normal.
honsonwong

Oop, my mistake, just tested and found that there is no deep sound when the door is door while in ON mode.
LPSISRL

Lesson(s) learned. It's still just weird for me to jump in the car, push a button and go. Just not the routine yet!
I thought the battery should have lasted a little longer since I had driven it 4.5 hours the day before so even if it had drained at the dealership, it should have had a nice, long, charge. I only left it on for maybe 2.5 hours. I have voltmeter that plugs directly into the power port. I'm going to keep my eye on that for awhile.

One more think. it was connected to the jumping car until it started then the cables were disconnected. It must be that fuel pump was shut off.
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
ipaqxman

KuroNekko wrote:For cars, "ON" does not necessarily mean the engine is running. A car can be ON without the engine running.

Basically, when the car's HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air-Conditioning) is on and the dash lights (yes, those icons you are talking about) are lit, then the car is technically ON regardless of the engine running or not.

ACC is the accessory mode that only powers the stereo and maybe a few other things. The main reason it exists is so people can listen to the stereo without the car being technically ON.

Basically, you left your car ON without the engine running. This caused the HVAC to run (the fan) and it drained your battery. When the engine is not running, the only thing powering the electricals is the battery. When the engine is running, both the battery and alternator power the electricals.

You said the car did not start when initially jumped. You then tried again. Was the car still connected to the good battery from the jump? Regardless, even from hooking it up, the good battery was sending a current to your car.

Your battery may not be in great condition, but leaving the car ON and the fan running for hours would drain any battery considerably. Drive around and the car should be back to normal again.

Just remember that ignition ON does NOT necessarily mean the engine is running. When you leave your car, make sure you fully turn it off. My car even makes a distinct electric motor noise when I turn the car OFF.

P.S. When the car is ON or in ACC, the display between the gauges will flash a warning in orange and the car will chime if the fob departs the cabin area of the car. It's to tell you the car is still ON or in ACC mode, yet the fob is leaving its range.
Speaking of which, does the car make a distinct electric sound when you open the driver door after shutting off? Always wondered whats that for
2011 Kizash SLS AWD