Engine Rattling

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
smsmart

Okay, I'm not sure if these two issues are related, but I figured I'd ask to see if anyone else has experienced this.

The first issue I'm having is that for the longest time now, I've had this intermittent noise coming from the engine...in the cabin it sounds almost like some kind of gurgling noise, and from under the hood it sounds like something is rattling/knocking up against something. Can't quite figure out where it's coming from, but it sorta sounds like it's coming from the area where the belts are. Also, this is most pronounced when the car is in Drive and only happens when idling (I'm guessing this is because the engine shakes a lot more in Drive than when it's in Park). At first the sound came and went, but now it happens most of the time when I'm driving around.

The second issue--and I'm not sure if it's related to first (probably not)--is that when I accelerate or drive up a hill (basically when the engine is under load), there is a "marbles-in-a-can" rattling noise coming from the engine. From what I've read online, it might be due to spark knock...but I'm kind of surprised if that's the case. I didn't realize this was an issue that would come up on such a relatively new car (less than 30,000 miles). My old '89 Mazda used to exhibit this, but only after way more miles on the clock. And I haven't changed gasoline grades or anything. I'm hoping that there isn't irreversible damage being done to the engine every time I hear the noise.

Has anyone else had similar issues?
murcod

I've previously mentioned about a CVT Kizashi that is in my area. I've heard it drive off from a standing start and it did sound like the engine was detonating (marbles in can noise.)

I'd strongly recommend trying the highest octane fuel that you can buy in your area. Then drive the same routes and see if the noise is still evident.
David
smsmart

Haven't been on the site in a while...but here's an update to the issue I was describing in my original post.

I just recently had my 30,000 mile service done (over $470!! what a ripoff!!) at my former local Suzuki dealer. Since I was there, I figured that I might as well mention to them the first engine rattling noise I described in my first post--the one that sounded like a gurgling in the cabin/coming from where the belts are. At this point, the noise was almost constant anytime I was in Drive and idling (i.e. at an intersection), and had this intermittent clanging sound when listening from under the hood. It wasn't super loud, but definitely noticeable when you paid attention.

At first, the dealer couldn't "duplicate the problem"--as usual--but had me try and point it out to them. After several minutes of checking, the service adviser finally heard the noise and had their "factory trained tech" look at it. Well, after a whole day of diagnosing, the mechanic apparently found that the alternator pulley was failing. I say *apparently*, because after they supposedly replaced the pulley under warranty, the noise is still there. I noticed it again after driving away from the dealer. When I got home, I popped the hood and listened in again, and suffice it to say that in my opinion the noise is still definitely there. Perhaps the "clanging" is less noticeable, but I can't say for sure. In the end, I'm not really convinced that the issue has been fixed, and I'm still at a loss as to what may be causing the noise. I mean, I'm pretty sure the car didn't make the noise when I first bought it--although to be honest, it's been making it for at least the last 15,000 miles. So I don't know, maybe it's normal. :?:

On top of that, since they replaced the pulley, my loose steering issue seems to have gotten even worse, and my AC now causes the engine to make a more noticeable growling sound whenever turned on! I honestly don't know what to think anymore...am I imagining things?...I must be going insane!! :shock: Don't even get me started on the rattles in the cabin...

As to the marbles-in-a-can sound...I haven't tried higher grade gas yet, since the noise seemed to go away for a while..but now it's back. So far I've tried different brand gas just to see if that makes any difference, but it hasn't. Changing gas grades is my next step.
WESHOOT2

Knock; suggest first burning 40 gallons of Mobil premium.

That other knocking is the thermostat fluttering; normal.
Woodie

Belt idler pulleys are famous for having their bearings go bad. I'm thinking one of those is bad and your mechanic just got the belt tension a little tighter (or looser) changing the nature of the sound.

The marbles in a can sounds like knock, probably went away due to increased moisture in the air during the summer. As has been mentioned, but a tank or two of "premium" and see if it stops.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

Along the lines of Woodie's comment, A/C compressors have sounded like that when their bearings are going out. I used to hear them rattling all the time back when I worked a full service station in the 80s, not so much these days. The fact that you indicate a growling noise when you switch the A/C on (indicates a strain or load on the engine) further leads me to suspect the compressor and/or clutch.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
LPSISRL

WESHOOT2 wrote: That other knocking is the thermostat fluttering; normal.
What the heck is thermostat fluttering? I've never heard that one before. :?: :?
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
WESHOOT2

I hear that 'rattle', often when changing cabin temp.

I assume it's fluttering, hence the rattle.
Mebbe it's a rattle from the climate system.....?

I ignore it in mine.
KuroNekko

I'd first suspect the belt tensioner. If the noise is coming from the belt area and the alternator and A/C both seem to be affected, they have one common variable: the tensioner keeping tension on the belt they share.
Also, Suzuki had a recall on that tensioner so it was known to be defective. See if your model year was affected and if the tensioner was ever replaced. You should not be paying for some defective part that was recalled.

About the engine "marbles in a can" sound: Try the highest octane gas you can find and I'd pour in a can of Seafoam for good measure. I've never had knocking in any of my cars before, even in my 220,000 mile Impreza. I also poured in a can of Seafoam at every oil change and the engine ran well.
If all else fails, I wonder if your knock sensor is defective.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
smsmart

KuroNekko wrote:I'd first suspect the belt tensioner. If the noise is coming from the belt area and the alternator and A/C both seem to be affected, they have one common variable: the tensioner keeping tension on the belt they share.
Also, Suzuki had a recall on that tensioner so it was known to be defective. See if your model year was affected and if the tensioner was ever replaced. You should not be paying for some defective part that was recalled. .
I looked up the recall on the tensioner, but it looks like it only applies to models produced in 2010 (both 2010 models and 2011 models assembled in late 2010). Mine has a January 2011 production date, so I don't think it qualifies.

I just got back from a 1,000 mile road trip from SoCal to NorCal and back, and the noise is definitely still there. Doesn't look like changing the alternator pulley did anything other than cause my AC to growl. That being said, I've been poking around the engine some more with the help of a friend, to see if I can get a better sense of where the noise is coming from. I even took the engine cover off to help. I'm still not sure where it's coming from, but it kind of seems like it may not actually be coming from the belt, but rather may be coming from the back of the engine closer to the firewall. Kind of sounds like maybe two parts are hitting each other, but I can't see because I can't get the right viewing angle.

The other thing is that the noise seems to be dependent on engine RPM's. For example, when the car is in Park or Neutral, the noise goes away for the most part...but the minute I put it in Drive or Reverse, the noise comes back (but only when idling). Makes me think that it depends on how much the engine vibrates/shakes. At higher RPM's the engine is more stable and doesn't shake as much, but at lower RPM's like when it's idling in Drive or Reverse, it shakes more. I don't think a belt/pulley issue would be dependent on this, right? It would be more constant?