2013 SLS cabin air filtration problem

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
LifeStrummer

Hey guys, I just got a brand new 2013 Kizashi SLS about a month ago, and everything is phenomenal on this car with just one exception. The air filtration does not seem to filter out odors from my surrounding environment, be it gasoline from a road truck, or odors from a nearby dump yard. I drove through a large cloud of smoke that was let out by a truck, and inhaled a lung full lung of gas which made me really nauseous for a short period. It was almost as if I had my windows opened to welcome the gas into my car. What bothers me the most is that this happened on the first day that I drove this car home. At the time, I just decided to put it past me since it was the first day and the gas was probably just really odorous. However it's been a month of driving this car, and there has not been a time where I could not smell my surrounding environment.

I am currently looking to examine the air filter myself using this video, however after several struggled attempts, I decided that I should probably ask for more detailed instructions here on this forum.

So, can someone please give me detailed instructions on how I can remove and re-install the cabin air filter? I want to be able to do this in the safest most harmless way possible because I really love this car lol.

Some questions that I have in mind that maybe you guys can help me with:
Has anyone ever experienced this problem? If you did, please let me know how you got it resolved.
Could there be another cause to this problem besides a bad air filter?

Please let me know if you guys have any other suggestions! Thank you guys so much for your time.
murcod

Hi, I think the cabin air filter is purely to filter out air particles - not gases. You'd need a special type of filter to totally remove smells from outside.

I think I have seen cabin filters that are made with charcoal impregnated in them, that might help?
David
Ronzuki

The fram fresh-breeze (charcoal) filter does a decent job in our SX4 for filtering the air and smells. There a thread around here that indicates a model of the fresh breeze filter not specicically for the Kizashi that can be made to work in ours cars by simply removing a small tab on the frame. Search around, you'll find it.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
WIKizashi

The charcoal filters are a good idea but I think your expectations also need to be adjusted a bit. I don't think you'll find any vehicle (except maybe some luxury models?) that are going to filter out odors to that extent. As mentioned the cabin air filter is for particulate matter. What you can do is switch the fan to recirculate as quick as possible to minimize intake of stinky air.
WIKizashi

Oh, and there is a tread pinned in the DIY forum with instructions on how to access the cabin filter. Should be easy to find.
Juan

also set the air controls to recirculate instead of fresh air from outside.
LPSISRL

I have a Hyundai XG350 that detects pollution and automatically switches to recirculate. If you get a cabin filter with activated charcoal, that should help with odors.
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)
LifeStrummer

oh, so it's not the cabin air filter that I thought was broken. I've just been driving in the wrong air circulation mode! lol. So if this is true then, does that mean every car(non-luxury) with a "normal" cabin air filter will also take in odors from outside while in fresh air mode?

This all makes more sense now. Thanks guys.
murcod

What cars have you been in that are able to filter smells?
David
LPSISRL

LifeStrummer wrote:. So if this is true then, does that mean every car(non-luxury) with a "normal" cabin air filter will also take in odors from outside while in fresh air mode?
Yup. If you draw in "fresh air" you get whatever's in it. Recirculate, and you get what's already in the cabin. Be careful who you drive with... :o :shock: :lol: :oops:
2011 Kizashi SLS CVT (silver)
2005 Honda Odyssey
Priors:
2009 Suzuki SX4 Cross AWD 5-speed Tech package (vapor metallic blue)