Whinning Noise - CVT?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Ronzuki

Learned this past Saturday while I was at the dealer for state inspection and emission that there are two different CVT assemblies for our cars, one Suzuki p/n for 2010-2011 and a different p/n for 2012-2013. They had an OK supply of trans assemblies and control modules stocked in various area warehouses in the states. I wonder if this has to do with Jatco shifting production of the model in our cars from Japan to China? There are also four different part numbers for AWD CVT trans control modules. This revelation came about when we started digging around in their computer trying to find out why my 2010 VIN was not affected by the CVT control module reflash TSB and others were. Never really located an answer to that, since the check on all the TSB and recall stuff is based on the VIN. In addition I learned there are 2 different replaceable trans fluid filter part numbers. Actually wasn't aware there was a replaceable one in there. Again, one p/n for 2010-2011 and another for the 2012-2013. Pan gasket is the same for all model years. The parts manager has those parts on his shelf for both models, but he said the techs never request them (which means there's no recommended service interval) and will likely be sending them back to suzuki out of their inventory as a 'non-mover' type item. The parts were a bit salty considering what they are, especially the gasket. The 2010 filter didn't look like anything special compared to others I've replaced on various cars over the years.

Also, After over 3 years, I had my first face to face encounter with another Kiz owner at the dealer as he was leaving the service department. Another smiling enthusiast from Delaware (pleasure to meet you!). Of course, we touched on our favorite thread's author and his exploits!
Last edited by Ronzuki on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

Very cool info Ronzuki. I know the transmissions have a serial/vin number stamped onto them. I wonder if there's a way to figure out which one we have from that?
Bizzenn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SlOTtRdKI0

I have posted this video of the whining noise. I held the phone outside of the car so there is wind noise. However, it is very audible. This is what Suzuki says is normal. I don't buy it.
murcod

Bizzenn wrote:

I have posted this video of the whining noise. I held the phone outside of the car so there is wind noise. However, it is very audible. This is what Suzuki says is normal. I don't buy it.

"This video is private" ;) You need to make it public.
David
klement

My Kizashi certainly doesn't do it. Also the sound I mentioned earlier on this thread was completely different.
Bizzenn

I know eatrocks has experienced this sound but I am unaware if the issue was resolved.
Bizzenn

Regarding the post about the whine possibly being from the AC Belt. Mine does the same thing but it also does it constantly if at 3000 Rpm's. It just makes a whining noise. Any thoughts?
Bizzenn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpl6Ohpgc3Q
www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkBRsQQsqG0

Again, I have hasd this checked out and of course the dealer says this seems normal as does Suzuki. If anyone has experienced this sound and knows how to get rid of it could you let me know. Thank you!!
murcod

The videos are private and can't be viewed. ;)
David
Bizzenn

Thanks Murcod, Ill change the setting.