Sub woofer "rattle"

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Minority

In case you get a nasty noise from your sub (presuming your running the Rockford Fosgate factory system), you may have the same problem I had.

There is a plastic cover over the voice coil that had "popped off" and was rattling around on the cone! The dealer has removed the cover (cured the nasty noise) and ordered in a new sub woofer. Still, disapointing on a one week old car!
rockismusic12

Thank god im not the only only one. I just picked up my GTS on saturday but it was a demo so already has 2000 miles on it. Within 2 days of having it I have this problem. Bringing it in on Monday. Now I have proof. Music and a good sound system is more than half a car to me.
Minority

rockismusic12 wrote:Thank god im not the only only one. I just picked up my GTS on saturday but it was a demo so already has 2000 miles on it. Within 2 days of having it I have this problem. Bringing it in on Monday. Now I have proof. Music and a good sound system is more than half a car to me.
It will be interesting to see if it's the same problem!
babacu

Just noticed the rattle noise this morning (got the car less than 3 weeks ago). Sure enough, coming from the subwoofer. :-(

I guess a trip to the dealership is in order...
KCKizashi

Same issue here! taking it into the dealership tomorrow for this rattle and the sudden increase in volume issue.
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
babacu

KCKizashi wrote:Same issue here! taking it into the dealership tomorrow for this rattle and the sudden increase in volume issue.
Did you manage to have it fixed? What was the verdict for the rattle? I'm heading to the dealership tomorrow with mine and I was curious if it's the same cause for all these reported rattling problems.

Thx.
KCKizashi

babacu wrote:
KCKizashi wrote:Same issue here! taking it into the dealership tomorrow for this rattle and the sudden increase in volume issue.
Did you manage to have it fixed? What was the verdict for the rattle? I'm heading to the dealership tomorrow with mine and I was curious if it's the same cause for all these reported rattling problems.

Thx.
The diagnosis is a blown subwoofer. Evidently I was thumpin too much in my hooptie! They had to order a new one, but it's on back order which tells me this is a problem with the speaker, and others are having the same problem.
As far as the volume jumps, they couldn't recreate it, even though it happened to me about 6 times on my way there. When they replace the sub they're keeping the car for an extended test drive and try to get the volume to act up again. And yes, we've confirmed the AVC setting is off.
2010 Platinum Silver GTS AWD
rockismusic12

They have told me its on backorder as well days after they said it would be in within 2 days. IM furious. I'm going to ask them to take it out of a one of the cars on the lot and wait for there own subwoofer to replace it. This is unacceptable for a car less then a few weeks old. I would rather order it from Rockford on my own. They didnt even try to to check the volume problem. We cant live with this for years having a new car!
babacu

Blown subwoofer was the diagnosis for mine, too. The service rep didn't even hesitate, he listened to it for 20 seconds and said he'll order a new one. He claimed that him trying to fix it (I suggested the plastic cover removal in the meantime) could question the validity of a replacement request, so he left it like this until the replacement arrives.

It's on backorder here (Pickering, Ontario), too. It looks like it's like that for more than Ontario, though, he showed me a report with one on backorder in Toronto and one in Vancouver, so it might take a while. Given that they just started selling these cars in Canada (a few months ago), I'm not too surprised that they don't have every part for them in stock. I just hope I don't end up needing a replacement for a more critical part any time soon.
Minority

On back order in Australia too, my dealer said they would have taken one out of a new vehicle if neccesary (mind you this was after they had already fixed the "noise/rattle" problem by removing the plastic voice coil cover).