Sub woofer "rattle"

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
gmoney91

KIZAWDinKC wrote:You guessed it, my subwoofer finally bit the dust. Car has 1600 miles. I think the dust cap might have come loose because I can see it bouncing around when I look underneath the sub. Sounds like the sub is farting when the punch is turned up. What a piece of crap. This is bound to happen to every kizashi unless you are someone that keeps the Bass Punch at -6. They should have recalled this a long time ago. Logic tells me that you would design, build, and test a sub to handle more than the system can give.

I'm not going to bother to fix it on my own because it looks like you gotta remove the entire partition to get to the sub. I'm not going to screw with it, so I put a service request in to Suzuki to take it in.

Hopefully it will just be replaced with another. But wouldn't the same thing just happen again if they put the exact same sub in??? I'm no audio expert, but I wonder if a better sub can be put in that thumps harder and can handle the abuse. I'd gladly pay extra for a better sub. I guess for now I'll roll around with my Punch on -6 and listen to music with no bass.
You can buy a real Rockford Fosgate, stage 1, for about $50. It would sound a little better without having to replace the amp.
KIZAWDinKC

I'd definitely opt for just buying a stage 1 Rockford 8 inch sub rather than waiting on warranty work. Is this something that's easy to put in? Because it looks like quite a bit of trouble to remove that rear panel to get to the sub. They should have made access to the system much easier to allow for upgrades such as this.
gmoney91

KIZAWDinKC wrote:I'd definitely opt for just buying a stage 1 Rockford 8 inch sub rather than waiting on warranty work. Is this something that's easy to put in? Because it looks like quite a bit of trouble to remove that rear panel to get to the sub. They should have made access to the system much easier to allow for upgrades such as this.
It was not that hard at all. First, you unplug the wiring from the trunk. Then, you use a flathead screwdriver to pop off the grill. Move some foam out of the way and unscrew the screws.
gmoney91

Oh yeah, if you download the user's manual from the top post in this forum, there's a section dedicated to audio if you need any more help.
TheHolyGhost

Does anyone know if there's room to put a bigger subwoofer in there, I know the mounting screws won't line up, but how much clearance is there between the current one and the cover?
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
KIZAWDinKC

Thanks for the tip gmoney99. I'll probably upgrade that sub on my own one of these days. I went ahead and took the kizashi in this morning to have them verify the bad sub. I really didn't care to take it in just so it can be replaced with the same sub, but it's the principle of the matter. They should put a new one in. So they verified that my subwoofer was indeed bad, and they ordered me another. So who knows how long it will be before it comes in, then I gotta take the car back in.

And the puzzling part of the experience?? The service guy had never heard of the subs going bad in the Kizashi. I was the first one to bring a Kiz in with this problem. But then again, they haven't sold very many Kizashis in my area anyhow.

Meanwhile, while I was at the dealership, the service guy told me there was a recall on the 2010 and 2011 Kizashi that had something to do with a tension spring and the driver pulleys/belt. I guess this spring is prone to failure which would result in the belt slipping which would obviously not be good if the water pump and alternator stopped working. So I told them to take care of that. I had to wait 2 hours of course. But oh well. So I'll be taking it back in again soon to get the new sub put in.
gmoney91

TheHolyGhost wrote:Does anyone know if there's room to put a bigger subwoofer in there, I know the mounting screws won't line up, but how much clearance is there between the current one and the cover?
I'm pretty positive it's not possible to go any higher.
CCS77

Sub woofer blown before I pulled off the lot. Bass Punch was at 0. I just unplugged it in the trunk, I lost the use of the other 2 spearkers back there but it least it's not rattling till my replacement comes in. Jeez...what a bunch of $hit.

Prety sure I'm just going to go to Best Buy and have them put in a new aftermarket one and be done with it if it happens again.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD
CCS77

Oh and this really makes me want to vomit...that is all.
2010 Suzuki Kizashi GTS AWD
robs48

Hey guys ,regarding the subwoofer.Mke sure the part # for the sub ends with a 1 and not a 0.The 1 indicates a different glue was used during speaker assembly as per Rockford Fosgate.The 0 means you are getting the same speaker you had and chances are you will have the same problem eventually.Hope this is of help.