Grinding

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
jblaker1

I just recently bought a 2011 Sport GTS and I love it. The other day (Friday) I noticed what sounds like grinding coming from the brakes, particularly the rear, below 15mph (25km/h). It sounds like the brakes are worn out and it is now metal on metal. When I looked at them through the wheel, I can see that there is still plenty of pad left (The front still has a lot of pad left, and the rear is not quite to the "squeal bars"). Has anyone who owns a Kizashi had this problem or could maybe guide me int he right direction? Thanks in advance!!
Grandpa1951

Does this occur when applying brakes or all the time? You may need to remove wheels and look at both side of the disc and inspect both of its pads. The inner one may be worn down to backing plate indicating that the pads are not sliding on the pins. If noise is there all the time and the noise is definately coming from brakes, then a pad is dragging, or the handbrake needs adjusting. Good luck.
jblaker1

It is there when I brake. When I release the brakes it is there for a second and then it is gone. I agree with you that it could the sliders sticking, but I wouldn't have thought that would have been the problem with only 42K miles on the odo. I'll check into that, anyone else got anything else I should look for when I'm in there. Thanks Grandpa1951!!
bootymac

Take the wheels off and check the inner pad. They could be wearing unevenly
ipaqxman

I am having the problem of a squeak and sometimes grind noise when i let go off the brake, goes away in a second. Not sure if its the same issue. Let me know if you find the source. At 11000k
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
jblaker1

Well I found the problem. Took it to the dealership (Was inside the 30 Day Warranty from buy.) They found that the sliders on the rear calipers were seized up and wore the inside pad to the metal. Replaced the pads and turned the rotors and we are all good. Good luck to ipaqxman on finding his problem, hopefully this helped
bootymac

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the follow up!

Wouldn't a brake inspection be part of the PPI though?
ipaqxman

Thanks for the update. But what did you mean by seized up (I am not very technical)? The brakes were abnormally contacting even when car is moving? Or is it just normal wear? And what is turn the rotor? Thanks again.
2011 Kizash SLS AWD
jblaker1

When I looked at before purchase, and drove it, there were no problems, it appeared 5 days later after a VERY hard stop to avoid a wreck. The dealership remedied it no questions asked and were very helpful.

ipaqxman: There are sliders that the inside brake pads move in and out on. In my case, the sliders seized up holding the inner brake pad against the rotor causing it to wear to fast and down to the metal liner. "Turning" the rotors refer to sticking them on a machine which resurfaces them to flat within a certain tolerance. IF they are to grooved, gouged, or warped, they can't be turned and they have to be replaced.

Hope that helps. Thank you all for your help!!
ipaqxman

It makes perfect sense now. Thanks again. Glad you got everything fixed. Enjoy the ride!
2011 Kizash SLS AWD