My 2010 Suzi won't start

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
sharkusnecus

I had taken my 2010 Kizashi in for replacement of another ABS/Speed Sensor and also had the "turn wheel" message irritating me. It had come on 8 times in a one month period of time in Feb-Mar 2016. I called Suzuki Corporate and issued a complaint about it, since dealer in Ohio could not duplicate.

Bottom line I was told was the entire steering wheel module would need replaced at my cost if it continued. Has not reared its ugly head again since March, but if others are having same problem, then call Suzuki and complain. Might not do any good, but it might make you feel better.
mjpoff

Odd, mine has not acted up lately either.
indian ken

This was driving me insane and happening at very inopportune times. I stumbled upon a fix that has worked immediately the last 4 times this problem has occurred.

Follow these steps:

-Turn the car off
-Get out
-Lock the door using the key fob
-Unlock the door using the key fob
-Get back in
-Fire it up!

Should be good to go. Let me know if this works for you too. I hope I didn't just jinx it!!

k
Ronzuki

...you forgot to rub your belly for three seconds in there somewhere...

seriously though, while I'm happy that this 'fix' appears to work for you, I hope this isn't the sign of things to come.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
indian ken

Hahaha. Yes, I did forget to mention the part about rubbing my belly and hopping around in a circle on 1 foot 3 times.

Actually, since this is a computer problem, and not an actual problem with the car's hardware, I think the act of turning it all the way off (and locking the doors, etc.) might just reset whatever glitch is occurring. Just like rebooting your phone when it glitches.

I waited to post this "fix" until I had a good number of immediate, successful results to minimize the odds that it might be specious.

Looking forward to hearing whether or not it works for others.

k
mjpoff

So I think the door thing is definitely related to the problem somehow. If you listen closely, the mechanism in the steering column that tells it to lock makes an obvious noise when you turn the car off and open your door. The times when I was having issues with it not starting I noticed that if I got out of the car & shut the door, it would start again. Once it " fixed" itself when someone else got in the car with me and shut the door. I have a bad habit of opening my door before I have shut the car off and since I have stopped doing that, I have not had any issues at all.!!!! When I was trying to find I fix for this problem I watched a video about that steering lock mechanism and on the inside of it is something that resembles the little stick that pops out of a tire pressure gauge. When thie problem happens that little" stick" gets hung up and doesn't go up or down all the way and it makes your car think the wheel is locked. If you jar the car by shutting the door, it goes back to normal position and you can start your car again!!!
fyrbry25

I have only had my K since July of this year, but this problem has started happening to me. The first time I freaked out and checked the battery and everything. But now when it happens, I just push the start button again, "turning it off" and open my door a few inches. then start the car, and close the door....and I am good to go for a while.
I know I am new to this forum, but I hope this helps someone, this works everytime.
thank you,
Bryan
Scotty499

I've had the same problem with my 2010- only during winter though. I'll get the message a few times a month when it's below freezing out. I've found it directly related to the steering wheel lock engagement and disengagement with the driver door opening/closing.

If I get the message, I'll gently turn the wheel while opening and shutting the driver door (with the ign off) to force cycling the column lock, and 99% of the time it starts right up after that.
Tylerw

That's funny I also found that "get out of the car and lock it go back in" fix worked. But only for a while I'm curios if it's still working for him. All the info here is helpful I'll try a few things out but I really think Suzuki needs to issue a recall or reissue warranty to have this part replaced... Especially If it is the same supplier that Nissan used. Seems since they're out of North America we're all on our own.
Kelly

Wonson92 wrote:You should be able to push your steering wheel (kind of hard) one way or the other and you'll hear a clunk noise and it will feel a little bit looser and then it should start. Or you've already tried this ? Sometimes mine takes a fair amount of force

I'm new to this site so bear with me if I'm incorrectly posting/replying to the original 'poster'.

I had this exact same thing happen to me - for the first time, just the other day.

I backed into a parking stall (like I usually do). I knew I had the wheels turned when I parked my car and shut off the ignition. I didn't think it was very much and I left them (usually I straighten them...and don't know if this was part of the issue or not) But when I got back to my car and pushed the ignition switch - I got the same message on my dash. I've never had this problem before. But I had a very hard time turning my steering wheel. I turned it one way and then the other - repeatedly...and kept trying to start my car. FINALLY....it started! I spoke with someone that I know who has a Suzuki SUV (?), I'm driving a Kizashi....and she said the same thing happened to her. She said to keep on turning the steering wheel, just as the screen indicates.

But what is the reason for this? Why did it happen? I'd like to know so that I can prevent it (or fix it) from happening again.