My 2010 Suzi won't start

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

kizashi11 wrote:This has been happening to my kizashi for the last few years. This week it happens multiple times a day, leaving me stranded. What's the fix? Is there a steering lock control unit going bad? Is there a way to disable the steering lock system? Nissan and infinity had this same problem. I deploy soon and of course don't feel comfortable leaving my wife and kids stranded. So pissed I bought this car. I had to drive 5.5 hrs to get recalls done on this p.o.s. This seems to be a common problem that nobody knows how to fix. Thanks Suzuki!
Sounds like the steering wheel lock control unit malfunctioning. As you stated, it's a known issues with Nissans around model year 2009. Given Suzuki and Nissan use the same parts supplier for their remote system, I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same steering lock manufacturer.
I browsed a few Nissan forums for some tips. Here's what I found for things to try when stuck somewhere:

1) Turn the car off completely. Unlock your steering column (the lever under the steering) and abruptly move the steering wheel all the way up and down several times while hitting the push-start button once to ACC. If you hear a winding nose your steering-lock is free and should start the car...continue starting the car. If you don't hear it, re-try.

2) Try the tapping technique (if you want to call it that).... Turn the car off. get under your steering column, locate your steering lock, tap at the steering lock itself GENTLY with a small hammer or plastic mallet...while you press the start button once. or even use one of your metal temporary tools in the trunk. If you hear a winding noise coming from the steering-lock it is free. You should be able to start the car. Continue to start the car. If you don't hear the noise continue tapping it and cycle through the starter button ACC/ON/OFF a few times slowly.

The problem sounds annoying as it can get you stuck somewhere but there are solutions. Also, if you are out of warranty, you can opt to replace the steering wheel lock module yourself. It's expensive but probably worth replacing rather than dealing with this issue. This is the part and it doesn't look hard to access: http://monsterfactoryparts.com/parts/20 ... ing%20lock
There is a process in replacing it involving a fuse so you may want to browse Nissan forums for the details if you take this route.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
kizashi11

Thanks for the reply. My steering wheel is definitely not locked. Just no power steering. I've beat the locking mechanism like you said and nothing. I was wondering if my starter could be going bad.
KuroNekko

kizashi11 wrote:Thanks for the reply. My steering wheel is definitely not locked. Just no power steering. I've beat the locking mechanism like you said and nothing. I was wondering if my starter could be going bad.
I thought you can't get the steering wheel to unlock. Is it that your car won't start properly?
Have you changed the battery in your fob and also the car battery? The only times I've had issues starting was due to a dying fob or car battery. Upon replacing the batteries, the car starts just fine.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
mjpoff

Just left the dealership and they of course could not find any codes related to the steering lock issue. Serviceman siad he did have one other owner with same complaint and he had called Suzuki and they have not had enough " complaints" to view this as something that needs addressed.
kizashi11

No my steering wheel isn't ever locked, just hard to turn due to no power steering. I can move it all the way each direction. My battery is less than a year old, has good volts, and my key fob battery was replaced today and the car still wouldn't start (I broke down at the store and bought batteries for the fob while I was stranded). I got a ride home from the store and waited a few hours for my car mechanic buddy to get here. We drove to my car and it started on the second try. We drove it home and proceeded to remove the steering lock. We had to take out the steering column and drill out the security bolts holding the lock in. We left it hooked up and dangling by the pedals so we could watch the switch. It starts every time now. I think the lock /switch was binding or getting caught up while installed on the steering column. I need a wiring diagram for this particular system to figure out how to bypass the lock so it can be totally removed. We are both aircraft electricians and are capable of doing it, but it would be so much easier with a wiring diagram.
kizashi11

I'm not sure if I answered your question with my previous post or not, but my original problem is that the car won't start leaving me stranded. The whole time I'm trying to start it, the screen is flashing "turn steering wheel to unlock" (but it's never locked)
kizashi11

[img]
20160325_205424.jpg
20160325_205424.jpg (193.13 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
[/img]

Here is a pic of the steering lock now that we removed it from the steering column.
kizashi11

And it's not starting again.
mjpoff

kizashi11 wrote:And it's not starting again.
Still having this problem?? I was stranded for about an hour today and it finally decided to start. I didn't perform any magic tricks. I like my Kizashi but I can't keep doing this. She's getting traded in soon :(
Kisazhi

There got to be a sensor that is getting flaky in the steering wheel lock mechanism. I notice that there is a solenoid pulling every time I press the start button. The solenoid slide must got worn or gummed up with dirt and not giving good signal that it was unlocked. This got to be simple to fix.