Service Start System??????

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
sx4rocious

Ok, so here's the deal....

On our way home Christmas night, My wife plugged in the DVD player for the kids into the socket under the stereo by the USB outlet. Immediately, the radio (RF unit) stopped working, the display in gauge cluster turned red and displayed "service start system", the triangle "!" warning and the "key" warning lights turned on, and the dash "bong" sound went off.

i figured we just blew a fuse, so I looked at the one labeled "radio" in the completely impossible-to-find under the driver's side fuse box, and it was fine. I know there's another one labeled "audio" under the passenger side, but given it took 15 minutes to find the other fuse box, I didn't hsave time to check this one.

The only thing that has stopped working on the car is the Radio, but it still flashes the warnings at us. The car starts fine and runs as it should, so is there another fuse somewhere for the electronic key system that can blow but still allow the car to start? or is this a simple "reset the computer and don't worry" type thing? If so, does anyone know how to reset a Kizashi computer? I probably need to do it anyway, as I usually reset the computer in the SX4 every year or so...

I admit to knowing next to nothing about these high-tech cars, so any info you may have I will be extremely thankful for as the closest Suzuki service center is 80 miles away. Thank you in advance!!
Moto
Site Admin

Usually the computer will reset if you just pull the negative terminal and let it sit awhile. Some people hit the breaks a few times and claim that discharges the system quicker. (It should).

However, based on what you said until you locate the source of your problem I believe the warning lights will return.

It does sound like a fuse to me.

Service start system.... are the fob features still working?
SamirD said he read the service manual cover to cover. He will be more likely to have an idea what fuses you need to hunt for. If you don't get an answer in the next day or so I will start looking around.
sx4rocious

Thanks Moto.

Yes, the Key fob features all seem to work just fine. In fact, the car didn't actually physically "do" anything. Just the strange warning lights and the lack of Radio. I'll try the other fuse block tomorrow and pull the battery terminal as soon as I get a chance. I'm on shift all weekend, so it may have to wait until Monday. I have to take it in for an oil change anyway, so maybe me beautiful younger wife can use here femine whiles to get the Nissan guys to hook it up to thier computer and tell me what code it threw. She was going to take it to AutoZone tonight, but she didn't have time. It's really acting like it threw a code that lasted for just a few seconds and hasn't reset itself yet. I have read the owner's manual cover to cover (I'm a bit OCD) and it was no help. Is there a link to the service manual somewhere like there is on the Club SX4 site?
murcod

David
sx4rocious

Either the link doesn't work right, of I'm too computer illiterate to figure out how to use it. I can't seem to get anything other than the title screen to come up....
SamirD

Moto wrote:SamirD said he read the service manual cover to cover. He will be more likely to have an idea what fuses you need to hunt for. If you don't get an answer in the next day or so I will start looking around.
I did, but I have a poor memory when it comes to 3000 pages. :(

What this sounds like is something that happened to me in my 95 Altima. I plugged in a battery operated tire pump when the switch was on. It burned out my socket, my radio doesn't work except when I press on it in a certain way, and the AC fan control lost 1,2,3 with 4 the only one that works besides off. In my case, I think it's some sort of fusable link behind my dash. Your situation may be the same. :(

I'd see if you can get a dtc code for it by getting the code read at one of the parts stores. Then we can continue to diagnose from there.
murcod

sx4rocious wrote:Either the link doesn't work right, of I'm too computer illiterate to figure out how to use it. I can't seem to get anything other than the title screen to come up....
You need to click on the index/ contents in the LHS window (under "Bookmarks")
David
sx4rocious

OK thanks...

And my wife just took it to auto zone. The hooked it up and told her there were no codes whatsoever stored in the computer. I have no idea why the info display would show a service code, but the car's computer doesn't? I'm so confused....

I thought the same thing about the radio. I'll have to start pulling fuses this Monday and see if there's anything I can find. i know there is another fuse in the passenger side fuse block that is labeled AUDIO, so that might be a safe place to start. If we can't get it figured out soon, I'm afraid I may have to take it on the 80 mile journey to Suzuki and hope it's covered under some form of warranty....
SamirD

A search of the service manual pdf on 'service start system':
B1194 - Starting Motor Relay Malfunction - Inconsistency between starting motor control relay monitor input voltage and strarting motor control relay control condition continuous for longer than specified time.
B1194 - Ignition2 Relay Malfunction - Inconsistancy between input voltage via "IG2 SIG" fuse and IG2 relay control condition continuous for longer than specified time.

Sounds like a relay blew. :(
sx4rocious

yeah, kinda..... I'll have someone look at it this week. Thank You!!