Kizashi Battery

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
SamirD

murcod wrote:I'd think it would be the same as I had http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/downlo ... hp?id=1548 (the new Optima is blocking the view, but it's a normal vented lead acid with access to top up the acid levels.)
Yep, after zooming in on the photos it looks like it's the same. Definitely different than the one I have in ours.
murcod

Yes, I think (from previous discussions on another thread) the Aussie spec Kizashi's appear to have been fitted with "bottom spec" batteries. No sealed maintenance free batteries (that I've seen.) Not that there's anything wrong with that- you just need to check the acid levels and hope the dealer doesn't overfill it for you. :(
David
SamirD

What's interesting is that Porsche still puts those batteries in as factory since they do actually have certain good properties--although after seeing two of them die inside of 5 years, I can hardly see what those qualities would be. :(

I know the reason my first battery died was because of low electrolyte. The second died because of sulfation on the plates and then the battery tender slowly boiling away the electrolyte during charges.

The weather in HSV is warm like down under, but there's probably a lot more humidity (80-90% 24x7). Weather might be a factor why non-sealed batteries are being used, but since my AGMs have lasted longer, I don't see any reason why the non-sealed batteries are better.
murcod

:) They're cheaper, that's why they'd be fitted by Suzuki.

They can be good because you can top up the cells, but I think maintenance free batteries have progressed a long way since they first came out. Years ago you'd read of people opening their "sealed" battery to top them up, but the technology for retaining the electrolyte/ acid has improved substantially AFAIK.
David
heych

My battery died this week ... 3 years old ... Australian Model Kizashi ... I wonder if the dealer "topped" up my battery, because it died within a week of my last service.

Just picked up the top of the range Century battery (3 year warranty), so see how that goes.