Dash lights and more out

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
chazyouwin

To try to be clearer, the items not working are in the large "L" shaped box part of the diagram (omninously, "CPU") or "combination meter." The backup sensor is also not working, although its switch appears to have electricity. These seem to be connected.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
murcod

Those diagrams aren't for an Australian Kizashi, they're from the manual hosted by Avluis.

It might pay to actually pull the "meter" and "dome" fuses and physically check them. (Checking components resistances "in circuit" can give false readings.)
David
WESHOOT2

Fuses may read fine using a multimeter, but fail under actual load.
Most highly recommend replacing suspect fuses ('cause they're cheap).
SamirD

I have a quirky problem like this on the Altima where the potentiometer used for the backlight dimmer gets a bit crusty. Are you able to see the dimmer for the backlighting? Does changing it do anything?
chazyouwin

I took in in on Saturday. The tech reported that the fuses were fine. They kept the vehicle and will look at it Monday (today, basically). The Suzuki web site was out and they needed the site to review.
By the way, I was looking at the items covered in the emissions warranty which is still in place. You might be surprised what is covered in there.
As for the backlight dimmer, did not think of that. What is the backlight? Is it the dome?
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
~tc~

chazyouwin wrote:By the way, I was looking at the items covered in the emissions warranty which is still in place. You might be surprised what is covered in there.
By US law, every part of the emissions systems is covered by an 8 year (IIRC) warranty.
2011 Sport SLS with nav Black Pearl Metallic
SamirD

chazyouwin wrote:As for the backlight dimmer, did not think of that. What is the backlight? Is it the dome?
It's the 'stick' that come out from the dash in between the tachometer and speedometer. But you might not be able to see it if your backlight is completely out. :( It's definitely a long shot, but give it a try.
chazyouwin

So got the car back - invoice says "Communication IPC Control Module Wire Broken, Diag Performed and Repaired Wire Wire XC9100 Behind Cluster Assembly." Invoice is $428 including tax. They tried to charge nearly $600 for four hours labor; had told me diagnostic fee was only going to be flat $129.95 and we settled the discrepancy at $400 plus tax. Not pleased with the experience but car seems to be working. I don't know how a wire breaks - had some warranty work done there and maybe that started it.

Also they would not call the district manager to see if the warranty covered it. The manager said that Suzuki wouldn't cover a broken wire (I suspect he was more concerned that Suzuki wouldn't cover the three-plus hours sent diagnosing.

And get this - they had to spend time to retrieve a schematic; although authorized Suzuki service center and former large Suzuki dealer, they did not have a Suzuki Kizashi manual.

murcod

Ouch.

PS: Hopefully that's what they really found and they're covering a lot of labour for some simple fix?
David
chazyouwin

Can't really say, except that the lights were out. The fix, according to the service manager, was simple anyway - just fix the broken wire. It took them four hours to find the electrical gap, three of which were somehow spent before they got the electrical diagrams.