Suzuki Scan Tool?

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
smsmart

I tried doing a Google search for this, but the results I got were a little confusing, so I'm hoping someone here might be familiar with the issue. After thumbing through the Kizashi service manual, I saw references to the "Suzuki Scan Tool" and I was wondering whether there are any good aftermarket solutions that basically do most of what the Suzuki Scan Tool does. I'm not talking about just an average OBDII reader--but rather, a tool that can read the Kizashi's performance and diagnostic data, including any proprietary info/codes that might not be available through a generic OBDII reader.

For example, stemming from an issue I posted about in another thread, I'd be interested in being able to read the calibration data for the power steering unit's torque and steering angle sensors so that I can determine whether they're working according to spec. I'd rather see it for myself rather than just believing the dealer when they say "we hooked it up to the computer and everything looks okay."

So is anyone familiar with any diagnostic tools like this that might be available? I did find that it's possible to buy the actual Suzuki Scan Tool the dealer uses, but that thing is like...over $3,000 :shock:
KuroNekko

Short of Suzuki's proprietary scan tool, I think the best ones are the app-based programs that work with a wifi or bluetooth connector on the OBDII port. I've got a device called Kiwi Wifi and it works with numerous apps. I've used it with the FuzzyCar app in my previous Mazda to read a few Check Engine Lights (CELs). It also reads a lot of data like throttle position, various sensor temperatures, voltages, etc. I don't know about power steering data, but I can check.
Keep in mind the device works with other apps such as Rev which is a comprehensive vehicle data app. I don't have it because it cost more than I was willing to pay. (I got the Kiwi Wifi as a gift.) I settled for FuzzyCar because it was cheaper and got what I wanted done.
I've not used it in the Kizashi because the main reason I got it was for reading and clearing CELs which these devices/apps do well. The Kizashi has not given me CELs yet so I've not used it on the car yet.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
murcod

You can buy Chinese copies of the Suzuki Diagnostic Tool, but I've got no idea how good they are.

PS: From when I last researched them, the Toyota equivalent seemed to also be compatible.
David
murcod

Here you go (as an example): http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/12497 ... _tool.html

There capability goes well beyond any generic OBD2 reader.
David
murcod

David
Ronzuki

murcod wrote:http://www.ebay.com/itm/latest-New-Toyo ... e1&vxp=mtr
I'm actually tempted to buy one.
$330 US isn't bad at all for that if it actually does what the Suzuki SDT tool does.
Here's what that spec for that tool claims: "Electronial control turning system"
I'd have to guess this category may be what the OP is interested in?
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
smsmart

murcod wrote:Here you go (as an example): http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/12497 ... _tool.html

There capability goes well beyond any generic OBD2 reader.
I saw those when I started researching these, but I have to say that I'm a little skeptical of them. They look like Chinese knock-off's? Granted they're a lot cheaper than the official Suzuki tool, but it's still almost $400...I don't want to spend that much money and find out that it doesn't work.

Also, I can't find where it specifies which Suzuki models they work with. I read on the other Suzuki forums that the diagnostic protocols (or something of that nature) differed between the GM-based North American Suzuki's and the more recent in-house designed Suzuki's like the Kizashi.
Ronzuki wrote:$330 US isn't bad at all for that if it actually does what the Suzuki SDT tool does.
Here's what that spec for that tool claims: "Electronial control turning system"
I'd have to guess this category may be what the OP is interested in?
If that refers to the electrical power steering system, then yes :D
murcod

Yes, I'd agree, they are Chinese "knock offs". But there's nothing to say they won't work - it really all comes down to the software that's supplied with them. They'd basically be a hand held PC. (Don't forget, the OEM SDT is probably made in China as well. ;) )

They're basically the same tool that a Suzuki tech would use to fault find the car's electronic systems (or reset faults, change the settings.) Have a look here for more details on the OEM tool
http://www.m2kinc.com/detail-sdt-100-33-24-1.html
David
binarycow

Anyone successfully used one of the "knock offs" and can provide comments?

Sent from my HTC 8x using Tapatalk
murcod

Lots of options: http://www.aliexpress.com/price/toyota- ... price.html

Has anyone purchased from Aliexpress before? They claim to offer buyer protection - similar to Ebay/ PayPal.
David