Key in Fob not working in door

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
binarycow

Wait, the key turns in the lock, but does nothing? That means its the right key. If it does not turn, then its the wrong key. So then if it does nothing, there must be something wrong... Further exemplified by the ability to lock a key fob in the door.

Sent from my HTC 8x using Tapatalk
Firefly

Okay - just tried BOTH. Nether will lock or unlock the door, although they both turn in the cylinder smoothly to the left and right. They both function properly with the glovebox and rear seatback.

There must be some kind of electric switch or solenoid involved, which is not functioning. The key mechanism may not be fully mechanical huh?

The system would probably have sensed the inside fob, had the fob's battery been stronger. That should have allowed use of the request switch.

Oh - and in looking through the owner's manual, it shows that an alert pops on your dash display to warn of a weak fob battery. Never saw that once while both fobs weakened (and one completely died)!
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
KuroNekko

You check fuses in the car yet? Not sure if there is a specific fuse for the lock system, but may as well check.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Firefly

I'll see if I can look up the fuse in the manual.

It's a cautionary tale though, so I would advise you all try your keys and if your fob is getting weak, change the batteries (both) -its easy.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
murcod

I had a quick look and it appears the key cylinder is only operating a switch- like you suspected- with no mechanical connection to the door locking system. So the key turning (at a guess) indicates you've got the correct key and there's an electrical problem. :(
David
Woodie

murcod wrote:I had a quick look and it appears the key cylinder is only operating a switch- like you suspected- with no mechanical connection to the door locking system.
i don't like the sound of that at all.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

Woodie wrote:
murcod wrote:I had a quick look and it appears the key cylinder is only operating a switch- like you suspected- with no mechanical connection to the door locking system.
i don't like the sound of that at all.
I started the car yesterday afternoon to warm it up a bit before I left work and for kicks locked the door with the key before I went back inside, taking the FOB w/ me. There is most definitely a mechanical detent along with a further electrical actuation of the locks as the key is twisted left or right. It is not simply 'smooth' as the OP indicates his is functioning. Interesting side note, the FOB wouldn't unlock the car via pressing the FOB's unlock button (which is something I never do) once I locked the car w/ the key, I had to use the key to unlock.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
murcod

I was also reading there is a dead locking system fitted to some Kizashi's. Has anyone heard anything about that before?
David
Ronzuki

Can you elaborate on the definition of a dead-locking system please...I'm not familiar w/ this.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
SamirD

I concur with Ronzuki's experience of a mechanical locking experience with the key. I've used this once when the wife left her purse in the car and I got the 'beeeeep'. But then I thought--how stupid--the car is in the key and someone can just push the button--except the button won't work on the car.

I need to verify that both mechanical keys work on our car. Who knows what the previous dealerships did with the keys.