My Transmission Went Out!!!

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Sarahlu03

Ok after being stranded in Louisville for the night, and calling the local suzuki dealership several times they stated that I need a new transmission and TCM thingy... I will say they did give me a rental car to continue my vacation to Florida, but now I will be going back thru Lousiville and hopefully my car is done but if not.. I live in INdianapolis and I will not be driving back to lousiville to pick up my car when it is done, I am going to make the local dealership truck my car up to Indy.... That is my plan.. because I do not have the time to drive back to lousiville and back home again, it is almost a 5 hour trip... So We shall see what happens... But the only thing I am afraid of is that they are going to put a used or a "referb" transmission in my brand new car and the same thing will happen again..

I did call suzuki to see if they will pay for my hotel room due to my inconvience at first the woman was EXTREMELY rude but then i told her how many miles were on the car and that i purchased it 1 month ago and she told me to fax her my bill and she will see what she can do... so I will keep you all posted on what else happens. I just hope this doesn't happen to anyone else!!!! It is extremely pathetic in my opinion that this has happened to BRAND NEW CARS.. I Would think they would inspect and test everything before they sold them!
TheHolyGhost

I'm sorry about your dilemma. Try to enjoy the rest of your vacation!
2010 Kizashi GTS
6 speed
Platinum Silver Metallic (Battle wounded)

2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback

Past Cars:
2008 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
1998 Audi A4 1.8TQM
1998 Dodge Avenger ES
Sarahlu03

Thanks.. I did for the most part except for the drive, the rental car is the most uncomfortable thing ever!!! Note to anyone.. if you plan on doing extended road trips do not get a Kia Optima!
But the dealership said this morning that I could pick up the car as in drive it back to Indianapolis from Louisville because there was only a "very small chance" that it would go out agian... and if it did.. that all I would have to do is pull over, turn off, get out of car walk around and then get back in and that would "reset" the transmisison... I said I will NOT drive it again till it is fully fixed..
but please someone answer me this.. if it is so bad that they are ordering a new transmission from Japan because all Suzuki Kizashi automatic transmission here in the States are on a "national backorder" then why would they allow me to drive it 2 1/2 hours? going 80mph?!? Sometime I really really hate dealerships!!!!! I mean if it was something simple wouldn't they be able to fix it there and let me go on my merry way?
Moto
Site Admin

They will probably let you drive it because they don't consider it a danger issue. It isn't going to fly apart or cause the car to suddenly stop at speed. I don't know if they have exactly figured out the bug in the kizashi trany yet. It doesn't seem to be very common and it is intermittent so it is harder to track down the exact cause.

Background Info:
I think two others on the bored have reported similar issues, and one of them just got the recall patch which fixed it and the other got a new trany (happened before there was a patch)

Sorry about your trip. I hope things start going better for you.
Sarahlu03

Well Finally got my car back, and everything seems fine so far... Suzuki has been really helpful in the situation... considering..... I just hope NO ONE else has to go thru this! If so just keep calling Suzuki customer service.
Jafo64

My Kizashi just had the trans act up on me as well, coming home from an 80 mile trip with the cruise set at 65 I noticed a whining sound from the trans and on climbing mild grades the motor would spin up to 4000 just to maintain. About 40 miles from home coming to a light , when I tried to pull away the engine would lug and could not make any speed til I got to a downhill grade. The whine stopped one I got to speed but when I got to the next light......you guessed it same thing. Nursed the car home popped the hood no smells, not even really hot, fluid was nice and clear.
Next day took to dealer, it ran fine all the way there, BUT...as the guy was writing the ticket up for me he asked for the key, told him it was on the front seat. He went to open the door and all 4 doors were locked with the FOB on the seat!!
5 days later I get a call from them they say there is nothing wrong and to come get the car. There has to be some kind of computer problem to cause both of these issues.
Any ideas? :?
Sarahlu03

That sounds quite familer Jafo! The following day, the guys at the shop said that they just started the car and it drove right into the shop... I was like NOOO it was not moving at all. But then they hooked it up to a computer and the code that was on there said that basically I needed a new transmission and a sensor thingy... Sorry I am a girl and don't know all fo those technical terms! haha But after several phone calls the guy had the nerve to tell me that I could come and pick up the car and drive it home but accorind to him he talked to Suzuki and they said that if the transmission "went out again" that all I had to do was pull over, turn car off, and get out walk around the car, and get back in and that would "reset" the transmission.. I'm guessing that maybe that what happened with you.. But I would Make them hook it up to the computer, and demand to see the "codes" and if they still say nothing is wrong, if I were you I'd take it to another shop and see if the dealership reset the codes in your car... somehow they are able to pull up the records and see if the dealer did this or not... I LOVE my Kizashi aside from the fact that the transmisison problem I had an there is NO aux input...
Keep us posted on what happens!
Jafo64

Well got a call from dealer to pick up my car, they said they called suzuki technical support and they told them to reflash the computer, I was told that if anything happens again to call roadside assistance and let them tow it in and not try to restart it so they can look at it before I try to restart it and and it reboots the computer. Had it for a week so far and no problems "knock on wood :roll: " my luck will be that if it rears its ugly head again it will be on a long trip or something! :( . Heres to hoping its good to go!
iramnj

Just an FYI: On both my cars, the suzuki dealer did the ECU reprogramming that affects the CVT when they fixed the interior compartment door recall.

According to the dealer, the ECU reprogramming takes care of any issues with the CVT, so just make sure you bring your kizashi's in for that update.

I'm lucky my dealer is right across the street from my office and I have easy access.