Rear Shock failure issue and TSB & Warranty Repair

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
Firefly

I was experiencing odd suspension behavior which developed gradually, but when thumping and bumping sounds started from the rear, I took a look underneath, and saw that the left rear shock had leaked - or sprayed - out its fluid. Now its awaiting a replacement shock at the service shop. I've read that these cars were built with failure-prone shocks. If you are experiencing odd ride sensations and/or hearing clunky sounds from underneath, take a look for griminess around the shock or strut. That's where road dirt stuck to leaked fluid. If the shock or strut on the opposite is much cleaner, you've likely got a blown shock.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum
KuroNekko

I've posted about my creaking shock earlier tonight. There is even a Technical Service Bulletin about it. Hope you had yours covered by warranty. I'm taking my car in soon as I've had a leaking shock in my previous Mazda and the Kizashi is now making a very similar noise.

Here's the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB):
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Firefly

Yes it's covered under warranty.
When the weather suddenly gets cold I've noticed creaking from the suspension on this and other cars I've had. What I was hearing this time was evidently the unpressurized shock piston knocking around. A "loose part" kind of noise.
kevvvinc

Hey firely, I posted a video on a separate threat, here is the link. Does it sound like my car?
Firefly

kevvvinc wrote:Hey firely, I posted a video on a separate threat, here is the link. Does it sound like my car?
No - this never sounded like that. You say it dissipates as the car is driven, like perhaps bushings that expand or soften up with friction or warmth. Curious.
coref1

Sounds like the bushings problem I had with the sway bars on my Gen 3 Toyota Camry.
KuroNekko

My rear shocks are goners. I saw the oil leak a few weeks back and the noise is constant. The ride of the car is quite poor compared to before too. Taking it in Monday for warranty replacement. I'm taking a copy of the TSB to them as well.

As for kevvvinc's front suspension noise, maybe check the front sway bar bushings. Apply silicone grease and see if the noise goes away assuming the struts are okay.
Firefly

KuroNekko wrote:My rear shocks are goners. I saw the oil leak a few weeks back and the noise is constant. The ride of the car is quite poor compared to before too.
Just got the car back yesterday and it feels right again. :)

Its interesting how for a while it just didn't feel fun and secure as the shock weakened. I thought I was just getting tired of the car or something.
It's a different feeling than on some really old cars I've had, where a bad shock was evident by the bouncing on the soft springs. On a firmly sprung car its felt more in the balance of the ride.
KuroNekko

I hear you, Firefly.
I recently had my Kizashi in the shop due to an accident. In the meanwhile, I rented a brand new 2014 Ford Fusion. The car was very comfortable and very quiet. When I got the Kizashi back, it seemed like a downgrade in comfort but it got worse and worse. As a few weeks went by, the ride quality and noise got worse. Now, I can see that my rear shocks are goners and don't damper the road as well.
I am looking forward to getting them replaced and having my Kizashi back to how it's supposed to be.
KuroNekko

Took my car in today and had the nearest dealer test drive my car and then take a look on the lift. They verified that both rear shocks were leaking and needed to be replaced. I brought a printed copy of the Technical Service Bulletin on the issue and showed it to both the service adviser and the mechanic. After the test drive, the mechanic stated that my car was spot-on with the TSB issue.
However, the service adviser was not aware of it so it helped to bring the TSB and alert them to it.

They ordered new shocks and new mounts and should have them replaced tomorrow, all under warranty.

I suggest anyone who is hearing a creaking noise from the rear to get their rear suspension looked at. Symptoms are consistent with rear shock failure in many cars:
- Creaking noise from the rear/trunk area.
- Poor shock absorption of bumps and imperfections on the road.
- Increased road noise.
- Shock absorber oil leaking down the shock.
- Overall decreased ride quality.

As the TSB details, the rear shock failure is caused by a faulty design of the rear shock bump stopper. The replacement shocks should feature the modified bump stopper design to prevent premature failure.