Rear Shock failure issue and TSB & Warranty Repair

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

I'm digging into this issue further and discovered something worthy of noting. According to Suzuki, there is a plethora of different front strut part numbers depending on all of these factors: Sport vs. non-Sport, Right vs. Left, Manual trans. vs. Auto trans. However, no differentiation on AWD vs. FWD.
For these factors, there are a total of 8 different front strut part numbers for Kizashis sold in North America.

For the rear shocks, there are only 2 different part numbers and the only differentiation is Sport vs. non-Sport.

The interesting thing is that KYB's application guide only shows two different part numbers for the front struts and they are differentiated by Right vs. Left. For the rear, they only offer one shock; one fits all.
Keep in mind that although this seems odd given Suzuki's different part numbers, KYB is the OEM for the Kizashi's struts and shocks.

I'll be compiling all the part numbers in a reference guide shortly and will be putting it in the Stickies section. I'll post the link here when that's ready.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
KuroNekko

ehart814 wrote:I'd love to know of a reasonably priced replacement for my rear shocks on my 2012 SLS. My left rear is leaking. :( I intend to modify the bump stop myself to eliminate the water issue. I done see why a new hole or groove in my existing bump stops wouldn't solve that problem.

If no one can find an aftermarket replacement for the shocks, I'll probably end up buying those KYB's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keep in mind that the countermeasure bump stoppers not only have drain grooves on the exterior, but a smaller inner diameter. If you're going to go through the hassle of doing the work, you may as well use the correct parts by buying the countermeasure bump stopper. After all, it would be agonizing to put the effort in to change the shocks and modify the existing bump stopper only to have it cause rear shock failure again down the line.
KuroNekko

KuroNekko wrote:
I'll be compiling all the part numbers in a reference guide shortly and will be putting it in the Stickies section. I'll post the link here when that's ready.
Here it is:
http://kizashiclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3708

Verification on KYB compatibility with all Kizashis is still needed, but this guide displays all part numbers.
Trowman

I received a response from KYB this morning. They have stated "349141 will cover the rear of your application." In my email I provided them with the year of my Kizashi (2011) and they did not raise any issues regarding that.

Kuro, please take a look at page 121 in the PDF link in my last message. You can see from the document it clearly states the KYB349141 is a direct replacement for all rear kizashi shocks (all models, all part numbers, all years (2010 onwards)). Any thoughts?

I agree that the different Suzuki part numbers make it very confusing. I just hope I have received the correct information from KYB. Has anybody on the forum actually had the KYB349141 shocks installed on a 2011 SLS / GTS or later?
KuroNekko

Trowman wrote:I received a response from KYB this morning. They have stated "349141 will cover the rear of your application." In my email I provided them with the year of my Kizashi (2011) and they did not raise any issues regarding that.

Kuro, please take a look at page 121 in the PDF link in my last message. You can see from the document it clearly states the KYB349141 is a direct replacement for all rear kizashi shocks (all models, all part numbers, all years (2010 onwards)). Any thoughts?

I agree that the different Suzuki part numbers make it very confusing. I just hope I have received the correct information from KYB. Has anybody on the forum actually had the KYB349141 shocks installed on a 2011 SLS / GTS or later?
I looked at the page in the PDF and agree that KYB claims their rear shock 349141 fits all Kizashis. I have since even created a reference guide on the matter as my last post links to.
The problem is that Suzuki part numbers show differently but that is under the assumption that a different part number means a physically different component. It could be that there is no actual difference and that's why KYB doesn't differentiate. After all, they are the OEM for the Kizashi's original struts and shocks. The problem is that there are too many assumptions and not enough verification, especially from Suzuki.
I have no knowledge of any Kizashi owner using KYB 349141 on their Kizashi Sport. I'm quite certain it should fit, but I have no idea if there is any difference in the shock's inner components like gas valves. However, given the staggering difference in cost between KYB and OE from a dealer or website, it may be worth it to try the KYB on a Kizashi Sport. After all, KYB is saying it should be fine.
Given all this confusion, I'm glad I got my shocks replaced under warranty when mine went out.
Trowman

Thanks for all of your research into this Kuro, it was a big help to me. I am going to try the KYBs. I'll post here in a couple of weeks time after I have them installed to let you know how I fare out.
Trowman

Also meant to mention; on the KYB parts list I linked to, it seems to be quite a common scenario that KYB have one replacement part number for several OE part numbers (take a look at 06 - 12 Lexus IS 250 on page 126, 18 OE part numbers for one KYB replacement number)
KuroNekko

Trowman wrote:Also meant to mention; on the KYB parts list I linked to, it seems to be quite a common scenario that KYB have one replacement part number for several OE part numbers (take a look at 06 - 12 Lexus IS 250 on page 126, 18 OE part numbers for one KYB replacement number)
I'm starting to think that maybe the OE parts have slightly modified specs but the KYB aftermarket parts are close enough to be an acceptable replacement part. I'd be more wary if KYB wasn't the OE supplier to the Kizashi's struts and shocks but they are and they are stating that their aftermarket products are suitable replacement parts for all Kizashis.
Please keep us posted on how it goes with the KYBs on your Kizashi Sport. It will help a lot of people down the road as struts and shocks wear out, especially given the Kizashi's rear bump stopper issue.
moh21976

I have 2012 sls I have replaced my rear shocks 2 times with Ky349141 in last 3 months. Thinking there must be something else wrong I took car to dealership to have them tell me I have bad shocks. Looking around today on this site, I do now feel there is absolutely a difference between the 7l00 and the 7l50. I am going to spend the 198.00 on each new shock and see if they last longer.
KuroNekko

moh21976 wrote:I have 2012 sls I have replaced my rear shocks 2 times with Ky349141 in last 3 months. Thinking there must be something else wrong I took car to dealership to have them tell me I have bad shocks. Looking around today on this site, I do now feel there is absolutely a difference between the 7l00 and the 7l50. I am going to spend the 198.00 on each new shock and see if they last longer.
Make sure you have the revised bump stopper. Without it, the rear shocks are susceptible to corrosion and premature failure regardless of shock type.