Rear Shock failure issue and TSB & Warranty Repair

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
KuroNekko

Oh, I forgot to add:
During the test drive, I asked the mechanic of this authorized Suzuki service dealer (former sales dealer) if he saw many Kizashi's in the shop due to issues. He said no and that Kizashis are rarely at the dealership for problems.
I guess that's a good thing, but this rear shock issue seems to be a known problem with these cars now.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

Where did you go, Wheaton?
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

Woodie wrote:Where did you go, Wheaton?
Yup, Wheaton. I was a little wary because I've heard bad things here about them but the yelp reviews showed that they've made recent improvements. They were quite good yesterday and asked for me to call today to make sure the parts got in before I took my car in.

The other dealers are just too far, especially since I need to take the Metro to get to work while they have the car. The Wheaton dealer is two blocks away from the Wheaton Metro stop so it can't be any more convenient that way. I will keep you posted on any positive or negative experiences with this dealer since it's our closest dealer.
KuroNekko

Got my car back. Fixed and back to normal.

The dealership experience was over all good, but there were some irritations.
First, they did not have the parts in stock so they had to order them. I came back the next day when they had them in stock. I was then told by the service adviser that I could wait for the car, but it would be 2.5 hours. I told them I would come back before the end of the day. He said it would be done by the early afternoon.

I called that afternoon (more than 3 hours later) and they told me they were not done yet. I then got a call later around 5 pm and they tell me that they need another day because it was more involving than they thought or something along those lines.

I called the next morning (today) and they told me it should be done by 12:30 to 1 pm. I took the Metro out there and it was done by 1 pm when I arrived.

I saw that the paperwork the mechanic must have handed to the service adviser for my car was COVERED in grease. I signed a few forms, was given a copy, and got my car back.

The first thing I did was check my trunk and make sure I had my wheel lock key as the mechanic would have used it to remove my wheels. My trunk tray was slightly in disarray and my wheel lock key was misplaced, but it was there. I then checked my wheels, lug nuts, and wheel lock and made sure everything was fine.

I also checked the service receipt vs. the TSB print-out and made sure all the parts codes matched up as the Sport models have different shocks than the other Kizashis. I also made sure they used the revised bump stopper and not the original design to prevent the issue from reoccurring. Everything looked good on paper.

I noticed that my shift knob was a little greasy, but overall fine. Everything else was fine in the cabin. I then test drove the car around the dealership neighborhood to make sure the issue was resolved. The car was quiet and smooth. The problem was fixed.

I then got out and checked the actually shocks carefully. I could see the new bump stopper and verified that it was the modified designed because the grooves were visible. However, both bump stoppers on either side were covered in grease from the mechanic's hands. While not a problematic issue, it's irritating to see a pro who does not even change gloves when working from old parts to new parts. I even do that to prevent soiling/contaminating new parts.

I then did an extensive test drive around my area to make sure it was all good. The car is fixed.

Overall, I'd go back to the dealer again for service. I'd give them a "B" rating.
KuroNekko

Here's a photo of my new rear bump stopper. You can see the groove (marked with a red arrow) that is part of the new design to prevent water from collecting and corroding the shock piston rod. Shocks were also replaced as old ones were faulty.
007.JPG
007.JPG (422.17 KiB) Viewed 6033 times
Ronzuki

I had mine done in October. I stopped in to Jeff D'Ambrosio's (Frazer, PA ) un-announced on my way home from a seminar early afternoon and explained I was experiencing 'the creaking' noise. They knew about the TSB. They had everything in stock and I was gone in an hour w/ all new parts including shocks. Everything replaced I watched their zuk tech and another mecahnic swap them out
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
chazyouwin

Thanks to the discussion on this and especially to the posted link to the TSB bulletin, I was able to get the creaking shocks fixed at Green Brook GMC, NJ. I showed a copy of the TSB bulletin on my I-phone from the link on this site and explained (accurately) that I had previously brought the car into another dealership and they had not been able to understand the problem. I explained the symptoms of the problem as creaking noises. However, when I got the car back I noticed a definite improvement in handling. It took two visits, one to diagnose and verify the problem as the TSB identified problem, and then one to install the parts.
2010 Kizashi SLS FWD Gray; 2013 Grand Vitara 4wd red; 2012 SX4 blue; 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV black

Previous: 2002 XL-7 Limited (2); 1992 Accord; '91 Volvo; '85 Toyota; '84 Celica; '73 Mercedes.
murcod

I so wish there were decent aftermarket shocks available (eg. Koni or Bilstein). Mine feels like the shocks aren't as good as they have been - at only 8000km. :( But how do you prove that to a dealer?
David
krell

what part of N JERSEY is Green Brook GMC
Open your eyes, look within. Are you satisfied with the life you're living?
Firefly

murcod wrote:I so wish there were decent aftermarket shocks available (eg. Koni or Bilstein). Mine feels like the shocks aren't as good as they have been - at only 8000km. :( But how do you prove that to a dealer?
Check for leaking fluid. In my case it looked as if black grease were sprayed onto the control arm. All the evidence needed.
Former driver of a 2011 SLS AWD Platinum