Rear Shock failure issue and TSB & Warranty Repair

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
SamirD

~tc~ wrote:I'm not so sure about that ... The "powertrain" warranty apparently only covers the engine, transmission, and diffs - not anything bolted to them like the alternator, power steering, etc. GM covers these items under their powertrain warranty. Unless you have a catastrophic major failure, the Suzuki warranty is going to be tough to invoke.

I'll probably hold on to mine a year after it's paid off (0% interest is free money) and then get killed on a trade in for something else.
It does only cover those, but they're proven Japanese technology that will probably last well beyond 100k with little maintenance. Engine accessories (like anything attached to it) are typically not covered by many warranties, but I've never had an issue with them even on older 100k+ Japanese cars.

GM may cover certain things under warranty, but when I think of them as a manufacturer, I always wonder how much of that warranty is to make up for the defect rates already known by them.

I just got off the phone with Suzuki USA to register a change of ownership and they still seem to be quite responsive to warranty issues and taking care of their existing customers. I felt like they cared more than when I've talked to Nissan and Honda.
SamirD

murcod wrote:KYB make the OEM shocks AFAIK, but their aftermarket version might be more performance orientated? The quality of the product will probably be no different. :(

It would be nice if Koni or Bilstein brought something out in their performance range. (The likelihood of that is probably nil.)
Before Tokico started making struts for the 1st generation Altima (93-97), KYB was the only aftermarket supplier. I could feel mine getting a bit soft, so I started heavily researching the differences. Nissan had 4 part numbers for each location depending on if it was an SE (sport edition), automatic, manual, or non-SE. The KYB part number covered all the applications.

I called KYB to find out why this was the case. They not only said that they make them for Nissan, but that their aftermarket part was actually stronger and stiffer, hence why they offered a lifetime warranty vs the 12k Nissan one. I bought the KYBs. Never got a chance to install them, but that's another story...

I'm thinking if KYB makes them for the Kizashi, they will also be a solid unit that's a slight upgrade from stock. And if this is the case, I wonder if they will replace the factory unit with a KYB unit if I supply it. Might as well upgrade while we are in there...
SamirD

ipaqxman wrote:My local dealer replaced my shock assembly, with thee L01 instead of L03 counter measure part. It looks light yellow which is different compare to the original dark yellow, but do not have the groove. Yup, it appears they put on new but pretsb bump stopper like i suspected
:shock: :o :roll:

Well, I guess you'll have to go back in with the TSB and your service order and let them know they need to fix their mistake. This is why I worry that they'll reuse the 'do not reuse' bolts. :(
PittsburghJoe

KuroNekko wrote:
PittsburghJoe wrote:
KuroNekko wrote:I don't think you need to access the trunk to remove the rear shocks. If I recall correctly, the TSB shows exactly what and how to do it for the mechanic at the dealership. I don't recall reading about trunk access to remove anything.
I have no idea if they will install a polyurethane bushing on the shock, but it may void the parts and labor warranty for whatever stupid reason they come up with.

Symptoms of the issue to be attentive to include a creaking noise from the rear. You will hear them at low speeds over speed bumps and potholes. It's not a clunking but a creaking noise. It was very similar to my Mazda's when its rear shocks went out too.
It will get worse over time. As it gets worse, you will notice that the ride quality of the car will go down. It won't be as comfortable over rough roads. This was when I knew something was really wrong as the car felt different from how it used to be.

I strongly advise all Kizashi owners to pay close attention to their rear shocks as the failure is due to a design flaw of the bump stopper that was installed on ALL Kizashis regardless of model year or trim. Try to get this covered under warranty if you can. This will very likely be an issue to people who live in regions with a lot of snow.
I think I have a bad rear shock too. I hear a clunking sound at low speeds when I hit bumps or go around slow tight turns. It sounds almost like there is a box rolling around in the trunk. It's coming from the passenger side btw. I have an appt. to have it looked at today.

Do you know where I can get a copy of the TSB to "wave around?" I have 33k on the 2012 sls but I also bought the extended warranty so I should be good either way but I'd like to have a print out if possible.

Thanks!
I sent it via PM as a reply.

In case others are interested, here it is:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =12&t=2634
Thanks so much! I took the car in today and it was indeed the rear shock and covered warranty. They didn't have the TSB prescribed "kit" in stock but he said he ordered it and it should be in in a couple of days. Looking forward to having it back in shape. I asked the service manager about replacing them in pairs and he said he'd recommend it but they have to send in the broken parts or they get charged so basically Suzuki America will only cover them if they're broken. With any luck maybe the other side will give out next week ;-)
bdleonard

SamirD wrote:
murcod wrote:KYB make the OEM shocks AFAIK, but their aftermarket version might be more performance orientated? The quality of the product will probably be no different. :(

It would be nice if Koni or Bilstein brought something out in their performance range. (The likelihood of that is probably nil.)
Before Tokico started making struts for the 1st generation Altima (93-97), KYB was the only aftermarket supplier. I could feel mine getting a bit soft, so I started heavily researching the differences. Nissan had 4 part numbers for each location depending on if it was an SE (sport edition), automatic, manual, or non-SE. The KYB part number covered all the applications.

I called KYB to find out why this was the case. They not only said that they make them for Nissan, but that their aftermarket part was actually stronger and stiffer, hence why they offered a lifetime warranty vs the 12k Nissan one. I bought the KYBs. Never got a chance to install them, but that's another story...

I'm thinking if KYB makes them for the Kizashi, they will also be a solid unit that's a slight upgrade from stock. And if this is the case, I wonder if they will replace the factory unit with a KYB unit if I supply it. Might as well upgrade while we are in there...
The OEM shocks and struts are made by KYB. The aftermarket KYB parts may be different, or they may not. They are a part of KYB's GR-2 / Excel-G "OE" performance lineup. I believe Suzuki used two different sets of parts (stiffer on the Sport models), while the KYB aftermarket only has a single listing for all models. On the plus side, you should get (at a minimum) OEM level performance at a reasonable price compared to buying through Suzuki.
murcod

bdleonard wrote: The OEM shocks and struts are made by KYB. The aftermarket KYB parts may be different, or they may not. They are a part of KYB's GR-2 / Excel-G "OE" performance lineup.I believe Suzuki used two different sets of parts (stiffer on the Sport models), while the KYB aftermarket only has a single listing for all models. On the plus side, you should get (at a minimum) OEM level performance at a reasonable price compared to buying through Suzuki.
Yes, I noticed that myself last night. The Excel G is sadly one of their lower end shocks.
SHOCK ABSORBERS: EXCEL-G
Twin tube gas shock absorbers, struts and cartridges.

Patented valving plus pressurized nitrogen gas account for riding comfort and, at the same time, dramatically reduce the aeration or foaming that commonly occur in shock absorber and cause its performance to start fading, even after only a few minutes in operation.

Restores OE performance

One way anti-foaming valve reduces foaming and performance fade

Three stage dual valving

Teflon coated piston valve

Seamless inner cylinder and eye ring, no leaks

Bonded bushings and sleeves

Hard chromed piston rod
It's a pity they don't make them in one of their better models (like the Ultra SR or AGX http://www.kyb-europe.com/shocks.html)

Non sport owners will possibly notice a firmer ride, but sport owners might be disappointed as Suzuki does make different shocks for those models.
David
SamirD

bdleonard wrote:The OEM shocks and struts are made by KYB. The aftermarket KYB parts may be different, or they may not. They are a part of KYB's GR-2 / Excel-G "OE" performance lineup. I believe Suzuki used two different sets of parts (stiffer on the Sport models), while the KYB aftermarket only has a single listing for all models. On the plus side, you should get (at a minimum) OEM level performance at a reasonable price compared to buying through Suzuki.
The Altima part I was referring to was a KYB GR-2.

But I just looked up the application at showmetheparts.com (best automotive catalog I've ever used, including when I had a auto parts distribution company--can't believe it's free), and it's the Excel-G series. :( Probably no better than the sport if even that good. I'm may be curious enough to call KYB and find out what they say.
SamirD

PittsburghJoe wrote:Thanks so much! I took the car in today and it was indeed the rear shock and covered warranty. They didn't have the TSB prescribed "kit" in stock but he said he ordered it and it should be in in a couple of days. Looking forward to having it back in shape. I asked the service manager about replacing them in pairs and he said he'd recommend it but they have to send in the broken parts or they get charged so basically Suzuki America will only cover them if they're broken. With any luck maybe the other side will give out next week ;-)
Thank you for the update! I'm sure a lot of us were wondering why only one was being replaced.

Now I'm wondering if Suzuki USA will just give us the revised boots in exchange for the defective ones. If so, then I think I might try changing them myself and forgoing any shock damage in the first place. Even if they don't cover it, the revised stop is only $25 and the nuts that are not to be reused are $5/ea when sold separately from the shock. For less than $100, that may be worth it versus letting Suzuki handle it *if* it breaks within warranty.

Looking at the CAD diagram in the TSB, I'm wondering if there's a way to carefully drill a drain hole in the existing stop. Not something they want Suzuki factory techs doing, but something that those of us willing to spend the time doing can do on our own and avoid the problem altogether.
murcod

I don't know if this has been posted previously, but Rock Auto sell the KYB Kizashi shocks/ struts- rears are US$44.89 and fronts are US$58.79ea! :shock: Talk about dirt cheap...
David
KuroNekko

murcod wrote:I don't know if this has been posted previously, but Rock Auto sell the KYB Kizashi shocks/ struts- rears are US$44.89 and fronts are US$58.79ea! :shock: Talk about dirt cheap...
Word. Rockauto is awesome. I've bought quite a lot for numerous cars over the years through them and I have not a single complaint.

I actually got Excel-G's for my VW camper from them and installed the shocks. While the KYB Excel-G's are the lowest grade shocks for the VW camper and the Bilsteins are said to be much better, they are about 3x the price of the KYBs. Quality is all relative to price. Quite frankly, I don't think it's worth paying so much more for shocks on a car with a noisy, rough ride on torsion beams. There is only so much you can improve on a car like a VW bus.

The Kizashi is a different story. I will check to see if the JDM has aftermarket shocks other than the KYB OEM grade stuff.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)