Security Code for Stock Head Unit Radio (Panasonic)

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
delusional29

Hi all,

I recently disconnected my battery and forgot that the radio has a built in security feature in it, rendering it useless when I reconnected it. :oops: I have the Rockford Fosgate Panasonic (CQ‐JZ1 series) stock head unit, which I found out by removing the radio and looking at the serial stickers on top.

I've contacted the original dealer where I purchased it and they said the code was set by the FACTORY, not the dealer. They were helpful but didn't have any other info. I brought it to another local dealer and they wanted to charge me $99 to "diagnose" the problem (which I already did - and even had everything written down for them, serial # model # etc). They also said that they would probably have to remove the radio and mail it out to Panasonic.

There HAS to be an easier way than this to reset it (from a simple mistake of disconnecting the battery). :evil:

Anyone know of such a thing? In the meantime, I'm going to research this HARD to get myself (and other Kizashi users in the same boat) a solution to this issue.

Thanks in advance!

DeLuSioNaL29
murcod

From memory there is no code set from the factory (mine certainly didn't have one, but I remember reading about it in the owners manual.) The car owner has the option of setting it up to operate with the security code.

So, I'd suggest someone has set it up (after the car was sold) and the dealer won't know the code.

I've got no idea if the dealer can over ride/ unlock it - logic would suggest they should be able to.
David
delusional29

Nope. They can't. Either that or they don't want to dedicate the man power to find out from Panasonic. SMH. Instead they'd rather charge the customer to have it sent away to get fixed. What an inconvenience!

P.S. I did research on aftermarket radios and although they are about the same price as having the dealer send it out to get "reset", there are 2 reasons why I voted against this:
1. I will lose the factory Bluetooth feature (a new 3rd party mic needs to be installed that is compatible with the radio.)
2. No one makes a plug and play harness for the Kizashi. (You need to irreversibly chop up the existing harness)

So I've ruled out an aftermarket radio replacement. (For now).

D
Last edited by delusional29 on Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
bootymac

Not sure if this works but turning the radio on with the ignition on bypasses the security code on my other cars.

What's strange is that I've disconnected the battery on my Kizashi numerous times and never had the radio prompt me for a code
delusional29

Yeah. Most are disabled by default. (The manual shows how to remove the code but you need to know the existing code to clear it).

Yours was probably cleared so you don't have that issue.

D
murcod

bootymac wrote:
What's strange is that I've disconnected the battery on my Kizashi numerous times and never had the radio prompt me for a code
That's because it isn't enabled from the factory. Somebody has enabled it on delusional29's car after it was sold. ;)
David
delusional29

Ok. Talked to a human at Panasonic! It's actually possible to reset the code on the radio. Regardless if it's locked or not.
bootymac

delusional29 wrote:Ok. Talked to a human at Panasonic! It's actually possible to reset the code on the radio. Regardless if it's locked or not.
What's the process?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
delusional29

Well, with some ingenious social engineering on my part, I was eventually able to talk my way into getting the "universal" unlock codes for all Panasonic Kizashi head units. :ugeek:

This is after several failed attempts with dealerships, some other company I can't remember (who the dealer mails the locked head unit to) and of course Panasonic technical support. After some serious digging, I finally got in contact with an Engineer at Panasonic's auto radio unit in Atlanta and he helped me out.

I'm not at my computer at the moment but I will share once I get home. He sent me a PDF document with the exact steps to wipe out the lockout (with pics).

I'm so relieved and I'm a happy camper again driving my Kizashi with music and hands free phone. :drive:

DeLuSioNaL29
delusional29

Boom! (see attached)

Enjoy!

D

Edited by murcod.