Warranty replacement & TSB - clutch pedal box

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
thakurhitesh10

So, Here is the update, and also what I think the best way to tackle this issue, first the breaking of the pedal is in fact due to the worn out clutch plate, you exert more and more pressure to engage the clutch each time as time goes by resulting in snapping of the welded part above the pedal.
Now what I did was replace the clutch plate, and then re weld the part that had snapped off, it was flimsily welded out of the factory so my fabricator welded it properly this time.

Now after all these repairs, there are few improvements.
1. Much smoother clutch action, faster gear changes.
2. Quicker accelaration
3. Much smoother cruising
4. Better economy.

Attaching clutch plate pictures for reference. I could not manage to click pictures of the pedal(which is more crucial) since it was welded in place without full disassembly, and it was dark.

Links to parts
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/ ... 4972957L00
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/ ... 2057L01000
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/ ... 0057L00000
https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya/ ... 0057L02000

I did not order parts from this website, these links are only for reference of part numbers and diagrams.
I got my parts locally.
Attachments
CP new2.jpeg
CP new2.jpeg (154.99 KiB) Viewed 6096 times
New Clutch plate and pressure plate
New Clutch plate and pressure plate
CP new.jpeg (148.04 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
CP new 1.jpeg
CP new 1.jpeg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
CP old.jpeg
CP old.jpeg (254.92 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
Old Clutch and pressure plate
Old Clutch and pressure plate
CP old 2.jpeg (347.48 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
You can see the extent to which its worn out
You can see the extent to which its worn out
CP old 1.jpeg (351.79 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
KuroNekko

Thanks for the update.
Can you state your location and where you got your clutch and pressure plate? They seem to be OEM parts given the new pressure plate has "Exedy" stamped on it. Exedy is the OEM for the Kizashi's original clutch and pressure plate.

While I'm glad that the issue was resolved, I must say I don't think your clutch had much to do with the pedal box breaking. The clutch pedal actually releases the clutch, not engage it, therefore stepping on the pedal disconnects the clutch from the flywheel rather than put pressure on it. The breakage of the pedal box was likely due to the poor welding, not the clutch, and caused by the force of your leg. Let me know if I'm wrong, but you likely have a Right Hand Drive model where this weld problem is prevalent. Others with RHD models have had the clutch pedal box break and got it fixed yet kept their original clutch and pressure plate.
I think your mechanic simply replaced the clutch and pressure plate given he did the work to take the old clutch and the pressure plate off. You stated that you only had 58,000 km which is about 36,000 miles. For a clutch to wear out this fast, there's something abnormal going on and it's often on the part of the driver. You claim that the repairs brought about the improvements you listed which are all associated with a new clutch so perhaps it was a good call to replace the clutch and pressure plate anyway. Hopefully, they last longer this time.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
Woodie

[quote="thakurhitesh10"]So, Here is the update, and also what I think the best way to tackle this issue, first the breaking of the pedal is in fact due to the worn out clutch plate, you exert more and more pressure to engage the clutch each time as time goes by resulting in snapping of the welded part above the pedal.{quote}

A worn out clutch doesn't require more pressure. That pedal box just broke, it's a design flaw.

I'm not seeing much difference between the old and new except that one is dirty.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
james.mangena

My clutch pedal box broke altogether this morning and let was nearly in an accident
The mechanic came and cheddar and suggested to get all the pieces welded again
I am not sure if he will get right because one of this aluminium arm is welded onto the body under the dashboard
:facepalm: :twisted:
Woodie

Welcome james.mangena

Is your car right hand drive? So far we haven't seen this on a left hand drive car, but I'm always suspicious. LOL
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
Ronzuki

I was thinking, looks typical until I saw the pic with your hand in there as a reference. Man that is one tiny clutch! A Samurai's clutch plate is nearly double the diameter with far less hp (66hp) than the Kizashi.
Ron

2010 Kizashi GTS, CVT, iAWD (3/10 build date)
2011 SX4 Premium Hatch, CVT, iAWD (12/10 build date)
2018 Mazda CX-5 iAWD Touring
2014 Wrangler JKUW (GONE, traded :D :D )
1991 Samurai, 5-Speed, EFI, Soft-Top ( :| sold)
KuroNekko

Ronzuki wrote:I was thinking, looks typical until I saw the pic with your hand in there as a reference. Man that is one tiny clutch! A Samurai's clutch plate is nearly double the diameter with far less hp (66hp) than the Kizashi.
I think it's pretty standard for a FF (Front Engine/Front Wheel Drive) sedan. I think the reason why the Samurai's clutch was larger was due to the FR (Front Engine/Rear Wheel/4x4) layout, allowing much more space for the transmission components due to the longitudinal layout.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
triumph202

Hi, I've just found one of the brackets going to the top of the clutch pedal "box" has detached (a broken spot weld). Right hand drive again and just under 60000km.

I need to pull some more apart to check further up to where the bracket attaches to the main support.

I'd suggest anyone with a manual RHD model check - even if your clutch is still working.
triumph202

triumph202 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:31 am Hi, I've just found one of the brackets going to the top of the clutch pedal "box" has detached (a broken spot weld). Right hand drive again and just under 60000km.
I'm in Australia and have sent a link to this thread to https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infra ... ance-issue to report the problem and hopefully get a recall issued.Anyone from Australia who has had it happen should fill the form out so a proper recall hopefully gets issued as this would be extremely dangerous if it totally fails while you're driving. The form can be filled out on that page by clicking "submitting an online vehicle safety or non-compliance report without a ROVER account"

Here's a picture :

The bracket up to the main support looks okay (not cracked that I can see), however the welds onto the main support are shockingly poor quality.
triumph202

More info/ posts related to this problem:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2669
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5453
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4790

The latest from Suzuki Australia regarding this obviously common failure in RHD models:
Thank you for your email in which you advise us of your concerns with your Suzuki Kizashi.

Please be assured I have documented your comments, case reference 27371.

Whilst we appreciate repairs are never welcome, we must advise we are unable to be of any tangible assistance.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and allowing us to comment.
Repairs? I'm happy to pay for them- but not when it's due to poor quality/ questionable engineering and safety related! It should have been recalled years ago. From another forum it appears there was a recall for it in South Africa, but I haven't been able to find any documentation.

At least one person has also had Suzuki's new modified/ improved pedal box bracing fail again too.