REAR STRUTS ON A SUZUKI KIZASHI SLS

Ask technical questions or post on problems/issues related to the Kizashi under this topic. Symptoms and pictures of your problem are a good idea.
NOTE: Any car related technical question can be posted here.
hyper gear

anyone replaced rear struts on Suzuki kizashi SLS ( fully loaded and sport pkg) using KYB rear strut part # 349141? Do they fit? Anyone know the OEM part #, also are the rear struts the same with all models, or different?
Woodie

Suzuki show a different part # for the GTS and SLS, KYB only makes one. Could be that there's a subtle difference in the valving and KYB split the difference in order to accommodate both with one part #. They'll fit and they'll work, but what the actual difference is, I can't tell you/.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
Should be a convenience store, not a government agency
KuroNekko

The Sport models have different shocks (according to part number) than the non-Sport models. The part number for the Kizashi Sport rear shocks is 41810-57L50.
But first, what's your mileage and model year? The rear shocks are known to fail due to corrosion caused by a faulty rear shock bumper stopper design. If you are under warranty, have Suzuki cover the repair. They did so with my car. There's a lengthy thread on this issue:
http://www.kizashiclub.com/forum/viewto ... =12&t=3186

If you're out of warranty or a trip to a service dealer is not feasible, make sure to get the "countermeasure bump stopper" and replace that when you also replace the rear shocks. The part number for that is 42250-57L03.

As Woodie stated, Suzuki shows different part numbers for the Kizashi vs. Kizashi Sport rear shocks, but KYB (the OE supplier of the shocks) only sells one rear shock for all Kizashis. You may have to contact Suzuki or KYB to ask if there is any real difference or compatibility issues.
Keep in mind you can get the KYB shocks through sites like rockauto.com for $43 while the Kizashi Sport-specific rear shocks are just about only available through OE Suzuki parts sites and dealers for $188. Given the massive difference in cost, you'll want to see if you can use the KYB shock on your Kizashi Sport.
If you do end up doing the research/contacting Suzuki or KYB/doing the replacement, please report back here and let us know.
2011 Suzuki Kizashi Sport GTS 6MT (Black)
hyper gear

Thanks for the info, I was out off warranty. Suzuki should include this as a recall too. So many owners are having this problem. Factory Defect..
kconklin33

I own a base model and have had no issues. My parents own an SLS and the rear struts have just been replaced for literally the 4th time...
KuroNekko

kconklin33 wrote:I own a base model and have had no issues. My parents own an SLS and the rear struts have just been replaced for literally the 4th time...
Interesting. What model years are the cars? Also, has anyone confirmed whether your parents' SLS has the newer countermeasure bump stopper? The problem with the rear shocks failing is that the original bump stoppers retained water which promoted the corrosion of the shock absorber. The countermeasure part has grooves and a smaller inner diameter designed to prevent water and moisture from being trapped.

I'm also wondering if the issue is more prevalent with the Kizashi Sport and their supposed bespoke shocks versus the original Kizashi. I had rear shocks fail rather early on my 2011 Kizashi Sport GTS. I got them replaced under warranty along with the countermeasure bump stoppers and they've been fine since.
bmw&kizzyownr

Since many folks use the term "shocks" & "struts" interchangeably... want to make sure everyone is referencing the same suspension elements. The following comments/explanation were taken from "oklatom" 's post I saw on line: "This seems to confuse a lot of people, so here's a quick explanation. Both shocks and struts serve the same purpose, to dampen the vibrations of a mechanical system. The difference is that a strut is an integral part of the suspension whereas a shock is just an add on damper. A strut supports the weight of the vehicle, and typically replaces the upper control arm and serves as pivots for the steering rack. A shock supports no significant weight and is installed soley to dampen the resonant vibrations of the spring. That being said, shocks are a bolt-on damper, and relatively inexpensive. Struts can be pricey".
The Kizashi (all versions I believe) uses struts in the front and shocks in the rear. Hope this helps to clarify any/all comments in this thread. Happy Motoring! :)
KuroNekko

bmw&kizzyownr wrote:Since many folks use the term "shocks" & "struts" interchangeably... want to make sure everyone is referencing the same suspension elements. The following comments/explanation were taken from "oklatom" 's post I saw on line: "This seems to confuse a lot of people, so here's a quick explanation. Both shocks and struts serve the same purpose, to dampen the vibrations of a mechanical system. The difference is that a strut is an integral part of the suspension whereas a shock is just an add on damper. A strut supports the weight of the vehicle, and typically replaces the upper control arm and serves as pivots for the steering rack. A shock supports no significant weight and is installed soley to dampen the resonant vibrations of the spring. That being said, shocks are a bolt-on damper, and relatively inexpensive. Struts can be pricey".
The Kizashi (all versions I believe) uses struts in the front and shocks in the rear. Hope this helps to clarify any/all comments in this thread. Happy Motoring! :)
Good point and you're correct that the Kizashi features struts up front and shocks in the rear. In fact, from what I've seen in terms of OE Suzuki parts, you can easily differentiate what parts are being sold because the front suspension dampers are called 'struts' while the rears are called 'shocks'.
hrdaddy64

I am looking to replace the rear shocks and the stoppers. I have done very little investigating, but can a fellow DIY-er tell me where to access the top rod nut on the rear shocks?
Sluggo

The shock top mounting bracket must be removed then you can remove the nut.
It's been awhile since I did it but I kind of remember the mount being held in place by 3 bolts.